Mistakes when brushing your teeth, the rules for caring for your teeth
Let’s answer one, seemingly frivolous question: what is tooth brushing for each of us? Of course, this is a routine exercise, to which we devote time every day, without thinking, however, how important it is. Many people think that dental care is nothing complicated, the main thing is to clean them regularly. But in fact, it turns out that only one in 10 people properly cares for the oral cavity.
We at Shram.kiev.ua have prepared the most important rules for the care of teeth and gums, which will help not to harm and avoid common mistakes. Here you will learn how to brush your teeth, why you need to brush your teeth and about the basic mistakes that each of us makes without assuming that they can entail. Read, and let your smile always look on all 32 teeth!
Why brush your teeth?
Many of us have heard that one of the “dirtiest” places in our body is the oral cavity. Is it true? Let's figure it out! Millions of different bacteria live in the mouth: from completely harmless to dangerous to health. Wet environment and daily ingestion of food into the oral cavity, makes it a wonderful soil not only for life, but also for the reproduction of microorganisms. However, our immune system safely fights this microflora, thus leaving us healthy and protected. Of course, while we are helping her in this in every possible way, caring for the oral cavity.
If you do not brush your teeth for a long time, the multiplication of bacteria is accelerated, and they form a kind of soft patina, as a rule, destructive of teeth. The acid that he secretes gradually destroys the tooth enamel, leading it to a carious lesion.
Not to mention the fact that errors in the technique of cleaning teeth, lead to unpleasant odor from the mouth and the possible formation of tartar.
The answer to the question - “Why do you need to brush your teeth?” Is obvious: it can help to avoid many health problems and will make, by right, one of the “dirtiest” places in our body much cleaner.
What is the best way to brush your teeth?
After we figured out whether to brush your teeth, it remains to find out how to clean them better. In this question, of course, you should listen to the opinion of experts. It is worth noting that asking this question to the dentist, none of them can clearly give an answer to it. After all, the variety of toothpastes is now so large that it is rather difficult to select one of the many.
In this case, you need to know the basic principles of using toothpaste:
- Avoid brushing your teeth with the same paste all the time;
- Use at least two abrasive (“white”) pastes and one dental gel;
- Brush your teeth thoroughly in the morning and evening, alternating different types of pastes;
- Using a long time whitening paste, cause damage to the tooth enamel.
It is very important to choose a paste that is suitable for your type of teeth and condition of the oral cavity. Pasta manufacturers are worried about every customer, so if you have bleeding gums, excessively sensitive teeth, or perhaps a tendency to the formation of raids, you can find on the store shelves accordingly: paste for gum health, for sensitive teeth and antibacterial. Carefully approach the selection of pasta and you will be healthy.
Most often, we squeeze too much paste onto the brush. For optimal cleaning, you need a ball the size of a large pea, otherwise the brush will slide heavily and will not get to the raid. Another common mistake is to use the wrong paste.
How to choose the right toothpaste:
- With the propensity or presence of caries should choose a paste with fluoride. Fluorine-containing pastes are not recommended for people living in areas with fluorinated water (more than 1.2 mg / l).
- When sensitive teeth are recommended pastes, which include potassium chloride, potassium citrate, arginine, strontium chloride, hydroxyapatite.
- When bleeding gums, choose pastes that contain antibacterial substances (chlorhexidine or triclosan) and herbal extracts (echinacea, calendula). You cannot use such pastes for more than 3 weeks, because they violate the composition of the beneficial microflora in the mouth.
The use of any of these pastes does not negate the need for treatment, which can only be prescribed by a dentist.
How to choose a toothbrush
The most common mistake people make when buying a toothbrush is choosing too soft or too stiff bristles. Also, we often buy too large appliances or not comfortable enough, which, of course, affects the quality of cleaning.
How to choose a toothbrush:
- In case of satisfactory gum condition, it is recommended to use a toothbrush of medium hardness.
- Choose a brush with a long handle and rubber elements - so the hand will not slide, and you can adjust the pressure of the brush.
- Those who have problems with gums or tooth enamel, as well as children under 12 years old are recommended to use brushes with soft bristles.
- The optimal length of the toothbrush head is from 2 to 3 cm, height - up to 2 cm, width - about 1.5 cm.
- The brush should be chosen multibatch, consisting of individual beams and villi, with rounding at the end of the beams.
Important: unacceptably long use of the same brush. It should be changed regularly: hard - once in 3 months, soft - once in 2 months.
The main mistake is a linear movement to the right and to the left, which only drive plaque between the teeth. You need to brush your front teeth up and down, following some rules. Another wrong move is to brush your teeth immediately after eating: immediately after eating the enamel becomes vulnerable, so you need to clean it after 30 minutes.
Tooth cleaning rules:
- The procedure should last at least 3 minutes.
- Keep the brush should be at an angle of 45 degrees relative to the teeth and gums.
- Clean the lower dentition first and then the upper one. Thus, it is possible to minimize the spread of infection throughout the oral cavity.
- Begin with the front teeth, gradually moving to the back.
- The lower teeth are brushed from the bottom up, and the upper ones are brushed from top to bottom.
- The chewing surface of the teeth is treated with circular raking movements.
- Do not forget to clean the tongue after you finish brushing your teeth, because plaque on the tongue is also a hotbed of infection.
- Doctors recommend using a rinse after brushing your teeth.
Remember the main thing! Properly brush your teeth twice a day: in the morning and in the evening, after breakfast and dinner, respectively.
So, how to clean your teeth with a toothbrush?
1. First, pick up a brush and rinse it thoroughly with water. Now she is ready to apply toothpaste. By the way, it is enough to squeeze no more than a pea. If it turns out more - not deadly. Just in the process of cleaning will form a lot of foam.
2. We proceed to the cleaning of the upper teeth. We bring the brush at an angle of 45 degrees to the gums.
3. Begin to move the brush vertically. It is important to make movements from top to bottom. Each tooth should be given 3-4 such movements. We start with the teeth located behind, and slowly move to the center.
4. We repeat similar movements from the inside of the dentition. Upon reaching the canines, the toothbrush should be changed from horizontal to vertical, as shown in the figure, and continue to “sweep” the accumulated plaque.
5. Horizontal movements allowed to clean the chewing surface of the dentition. You can move the brush back and forth. But no one has canceled the “sweeping” movements already known to us that will better cope with getting rid of the raid. In this case, move from the back teeth towards the front.
6. Smoothly move to the bottom row of teeth. We repeat the same movements as with the upper jaw, but make them bottom-up.
7. Cleaning the teeth on the inside of the tooth row, reaching the canines, it is recommended to change the position of your toothbrush again.
8. At the very end leave the tongue clean. It is produced by gentle massaging movements from the root to the tip.
9. Unwind the right amount of dental floss and tear it off. Clean the spaces between the teeth, starting from the back teeth, gradually moving towards the front. It is very important to clean the interdental spaces with different pieces of thread, so as not to transfer microorganisms from one tooth to another. For convenience, it is recommended to tear off about 30 centimeters of the thread and place it between the index fingers of both hands. There should be a couple of centimeters between your fingers for cleaning. During the cleaning process, wind the thread that has already been used on the finger. Perform gentle movements, while avoiding injury to the gums.
10. At the end of the cleaning, rinse your mouth for half a minute with a rinse.
When the brushing process is fully completed, take care to keep the brush clean until the next use. To do this, lather it and leave it in this form until further use.
Many of us do not attach much importance to it, and in vain. Cleansing dental space with a thread not only prevents the appearance of tartar, but also strengthens the gums.
For proper and convenient cleaning, take at least 18 cm of the thread, and wrap its edges on index or middle fingers. First, you should brush your teeth with floss, then with a brush.
Most people who wear braces and other dental constructions often ignore the rules of care. Orthodontists strongly advise you to brush your teeth after each meal with fluoride toothpaste, as well as regularly use dental floss and a special brush.
If you wear these devices, food should be cut finely, especially apples and other solid foods. But from the soft caramel, popcorn and other snacks that like to stick in your teeth, you better give up completely.
The main mistakes when brushing your teeth
In more detail about how to thoroughly brush your teeth with a toothbrush, we'll talk a little later, but for now your attention is provided with a list of basic errors when brushing your teeth.
Wrong brush selection
On television, we often pay attention to a huge amount of advertising toothbrushes. The leading companies in the world represent their version, in their opinion, the perfect brush. So which brush is better to brush your teeth? Of course, you can’t believe everyone and you shouldn’t think that by purchasing this or that advertised brush, you will get rid of all the problems with the health of your teeth. This is definitely a fallacy.
To choose a brush, like a paste, is necessary in accordance with its individual needs. What are the main criteria for choosing the "perfect" brush?
- Handle length
- Bristle stiffness
- The size of the main part of the toothbrush
When using a toothbrush, the main thing is not to experience the slightest stress. To do this, the length of the handle must be optimal, suitable for the structure of your mouth. The stiffness of the bristles should be matched to the health of your gums. It should be noted that the stiffness of the bristles does not affect the quality of cleaning, the main technique. The size of the main part of the toothbrush also should not give you discomfort.
It is believed that the most effective brushes are medium in size with a small tapered head. They will easily cope with the cleaning of hard-to-reach molars. An important point when choosing a brush is also its ability to clean the tongue, as one of the main breeding grounds for bacteria. To do this, pay attention to whether there are special hillocks on the back of the brush that make it very convenient to clean the tongue without damaging it with coarse bristles. If you do not trust this work with your toothbrush, you can find special scrapers and gels for the perfect cleaning of the tongue.
And the last thing I want to mention when I talk about which brush is better to brush my teeth, this is the material from which the bristles are made. The most common choice is nylon and natural bristles. Probably, each of us in one voice will say that it is better than not to find the natural. But here you can allow a serious misfire. Just like us, bacteria love everything natural. For them, a natural brush will be the best breeding ground. Based on this, we conclude that in the choice of brushes, preference should be given nylon.
Infrequent or inconsistent teeth cleaning
The interval between brushings directly affects the condition of the teeth. If it is too long, plaque will appear on the teeth, which, as we already know, is the cause of the spread of infection in the oral cavity. In this regard, the teeth should be cleaned two, and preferably three times a day.
Duration of cleaning should be at least 3 minutes. Dentists advise to divide the oral cavity into four approximately equal parts and give each of them 45 seconds.
Too frequent brushing
Brushing your teeth more often than 3 times a day will in no way improve the health of your oral cavity, but on the contrary, it even hurts. To avoid bad breath, people often forget that tooth enamel will go along with the smell. Therefore it is worth using other methods to combat undesirable odor.
Ignoring Dental Floss
According to statistics, tooth decay most often affects the lateral parts of the tooth. Think about it, because during the meal, the food we eat accumulates in the interdental spaces. Scrubbing it with a brush is almost impossible. This is where dental floss comes in to help remove the leftover food and leave your teeth healthy.
Violation of the teeth cleaning technique
How to properly brush your teeth with a toothbrush will be discussed later in the article. It makes sense to note that, ignoring this technique and ignoring the basic rules, you can put yourself at risk of serious diseases.
Rare Toothbrush Wash
When brushing your teeth with a toothbrush, you can remove all the accumulated soft plaque. But, of course, that he does not disappear without a trace. If it is not thoroughly washed away, after each cleaning, the bacteria that have accumulated there will multiply, and, once back in our mouth, will cause inflammatory diseases. So remember that washing and drying your toothbrush thoroughly will keep you healthy.
The myth of the greater efficiency of an electric toothbrush
In order to dispel this myth, you need to figure out how many types of electric toothbrushes exist. It turns out that they are presented in the Ukrainian market in four forms.
- Brushes with tufts rotating in all directions villi.
Of all the varieties listed, it is worth noting only the last type of brushes, like the one that has the advantage over the usual brush. Indeed, due to its properties, the quality of brushing can be compared to going to the dentist. If you still decide to replenish the ranks of the lazy owners of electric toothbrushes, remember that such a brush annoys the gums more, often causing them to bleed. Violation of the elementary technique of using an electric brush can cause gum injury and damage to the enamel.
In this regard, it is worth considering whether it makes sense to change your usual way of brushing your teeth. After all, an ordinary brush is not inferior to its more modern counterparts and does not harm the health of the oral cavity.
Rare brush replacement
Experts recommend changing the brush at least 3-4 months of use, and better and more often. This is due to the fact that, over time, the bristles of the brush deform, thus losing their flexibility. This brush can no longer be used. It will not bring any harm or benefit to its owner.
The manufacturer, who is very concerned about the health of its customers, took care of this. Now the market is not news to meet the brush, which changes the color of their villi, warning the owner about the need to go to the store for a new one. But do not immediately run for this. Watch your assistant closely: bent bristles, increased “shaggy” indicate that the brush has already outlived its own and it needs to be replaced.
Using chewing gum instead of regular tooth brushing
Don't underestimate chewing gum. They really clean the mouth after eating, but this property applies only to the chewing surface of the teeth. Only a toothbrush can cope with a complete brushing of teeth, and chewing gum should be used only in exceptional cases.
For those who have a combined bathroom, the most important thing to remember is to keep your brushes in a special case and use a disinfectant solution before cleaning. All because when flushing the toilet the bacteria fly around a distance of more than one and a half meters. It is not difficult to guess that these microorganisms settle on brushes as well.
Via adme.ru & guide-dental.ru