Errors in cleaning teeth, rules for dental care
Let's answer ourselves to one, with a kind, frivolous question: what for each of us cleaning teeth? Of course, this is a routine activity, to which we devote time every day, without hesitation, however, how important it is. It seems to many that caring for your teeth is nothing complicated, the main thing is to clean them regularly. But in fact it turns out that only one in 10 people properly takes care of the oral cavity.
We in Shram.kiev.ua prepared the most important rules for the care of teeth and gums, which will help not to hurt and avoid common mistakes. Here you will learn how to brush your teeth, why you need to brush your teeth and about the main mistakes that each of us allows, without assuming that they can lead to it. Read, and let your smile always look at all 32 teeth!
Why brush your teeth?
Many of us have heard that one of the most "dirty" places in our body is the oral cavity. Is it true? Let's understand! In the mouth live millions of different bacteria: from completely harmless to dangerous to health. The humid environment and the daily ingestion of food into the oral cavity make it a wonderful soil not only for life, but also for the reproduction of microorganisms. However, our immune system safely fights against this microflora, leaving us, thus, healthy and protected. Of course, while we are helping her in every way, taking care of the oral cavity.
If the teeth are not cleaned for a long time, the reproduction of bacteria is accelerated, and they form a kind of soft coating, usually destructive for the teeth. The acid that it emits, gradually destroys the enamel of the tooth, leading to carious lesions.
Not to mention the fact that the errors in the technique of cleaning teeth, lead to an unpleasant odor from the mouth and the possible formation of tartar.
The answer to the question - "Why should I brush my teeth?" Is obvious: it can help to avoid many health problems and will, by right, make one of the most "dirty" places in our body much cleaner.
The better to brush your teeth?
After we figured out whether to brush your teeth, it remains to find out what is better to clean them. In this matter, of course, it is worth to listen to the opinion of specialists. It is worth noting that asking this question to the dentist, none of them clearly can not give an answer to it. After all, the variety of toothpastes is so great now that it is rather difficult to single out one of the set.
In this case, you need to know the main principles of using toothpaste:
- Avoid brushing your teeth with the same paste all the time;
- Use at least two abrasive ("white") pastes and one tooth gel;
- Thoroughly brush your teeth in the morning and evening, alternating different types of pastes;
- Using a long time of whitening pastes, lead to damage to the enamel of the tooth.
It is very important to choose a paste that is suitable for your type of teeth and the state of the oral cavity. Pasta manufacturers are concerned about every customer, so if you have bleeding gums, excessively sensitive teeth, or possibly a tendency to form raids, you can find on the store shelves, respectively: a paste for gum health, sensitive teeth and antibacterial. Carefully choose a paste and you will be healthy.
Most often we squeeze too much paste onto the brush. For optimal cleaning, you need a ball the size of a large pea, otherwise the brush will slip strongly and not reach the plaque. Another common mistake is the use of an inappropriate paste.
How to choose the right toothpaste:
- If you are addicted or have caries, you should choose pasta with fluoride. People living in areas with fluorinated water (more than 1.2 mg / l) fluoride-containing pastes are not recommended.
- With sensitive teeth, pastes are recommended, which include potassium chloride, potassium citrate, arginine, strontium chloride, hydroxyapatite.
- With bleeding gums, choose pastes that contain antibacterial substances (chlorhexidine or triclosan) and extracts of herbs (echinacea, calendula). It is impossible to use such pastes for more than 3 weeks, because they disrupt the composition of useful microflora in the mouth.
The use of any of these pastes does not negate the need for treatment, which can be prescribed only by the dentist.
How to choose the right toothbrush
The most common mistake that people make when buying a toothbrush is the choice of too soft or too stiff bristles. Also, often we buy too large appliances or not enough convenient, which, of course, affects the quality of cleaning.
How to choose the right toothbrush:
- When a satisfactory condition of the gums is recommended to use a medium-hard toothbrush.
- Choose brushes with a long handle and rubber elements - so the hand will not slide, and you can adjust the brush pressure.
- Those who have problems with the gums or enamel of the teeth, as well as children under 12 years of age, are recommended to use brushes with soft bristles.
- The optimal length of the toothbrush head is from 2 to 3 cm, height - up to 2 cm, width - about 1.5 cm.
- The brush should be selected from a multi-bundle consisting of individual bundles and villi, with roundings at the end of the bundles.
Important: unacceptably long use of the same brush. It should be regularly changed: hard - every 3 months, soft - every 2 months.
The main mistake is linear movements to the right-to-left, which only pound the plaque into the spaces between the teeth. Clean the front teeth need to up and down, following certain rules. Another wrong move is brushing your teeth right after eating: immediately after eating, the enamel becomes vulnerable, so you need to clean it after 30 minutes.
Teeth cleaning rules:
- The procedure should last at least 3 minutes.
- Keep the brush at an angle of 45 degrees with respect to the teeth and gums.
- Clean first the lower dentition, and then the upper one. Thus, it is possible to minimize the spread of infection throughout the oral cavity.
- Begin with the front teeth, gradually moving to the rear.
- Lower teeth are cleaned from the bottom up, and the top ones are cleaned from the top down.
- The chewing surface of the teeth is treated with circular shuffling movements.
- Do not forget to cleanse the tongue after the end of brushing your teeth, because the plaque on the tongue is also a hotbed of infection.
- Doctors recommend using a rinse aid after the end of brushing your teeth.
Remember the main thing! Properly brush your teeth twice a day: morning and evening, after breakfast and dinner, respectively.
So, how to properly brush your teeth with a toothbrush?
1. First, pick up the brush and rinse it thoroughly with water. Now she is ready to apply toothpaste. By the way, it's enough to squeeze out not more than a pea. If you get more - not deadly. Just in the process of cleaning, a lot of foam will form.
2. Let's get down to cleaning the upper teeth. Bring the brush at an angle of 45 degrees to the gums.
3. Begin to move the brush vertically. It is important to move from top to bottom. Each tooth should be given 3-4 such movements. We begin with the teeth located behind, and slowly move to the center.
4. Repeat similar movements and from the inside of the dentition. When the canines are reached, the toothbrush should be changed from horizontal to vertical, as shown in the figure, and we continue to "sweep out" the accumulated plaque.
5. Horizontal movements allowed to clean the chewing surface of the dentition. You can move the brush back and forth. But no one has abolished the already known "sweeping" movements, which will better cope with getting rid of the raid. In this case, move from the back teeth towards the front.
6. Smoothly go to the bottom row of teeth. We repeat the same movements as with the upper jaw, but we make them from below upwards.
7. Clearing the teeth from the inside of the tooth row, reaching the canines, it is recommended to change the position of your toothbrush again.
8. At the very end we leave the purge of the tongue. It is produced by accurate massaging movements from the root to the tip.
9. Take off the right amount of dental floss and tear it off. Clean the spaces between the teeth, starting with the posterior teeth, gradually moving towards the forelegs. It is very important to clean the interdental spaces with different pieces of thread, in order not to transfer the microorganisms from one tooth to another. For convenience, it is recommended to tear off about 30 centimeters of thread and place it between the index fingers of both hands. Between the fingers should remain a couple of centimeters for cleaning. In the course of cleaning, wind the already used thread on the finger. Make accurate movements, while avoiding gum injuries.
10. At the end of cleaning, rinse your mouth for half a minute with a rinse aid.
When the brushing process is completely finished, worry about keeping the brush clean until the next use. To do this, soap it and leave it in this form until further use.
Many of us do not attach much importance to it, and in vain. Cleansing the dental spaces with a thread not only prevents the appearance of tartar, but also strengthens the gums.
For correct and convenient cleaning, take at least 18 cm of thread, and wrap its edges on index or middle fingers. First, brush your teeth with a thread, then brush.
Most people who wear braces and other dental structures, often ignore the rules of care. Orthodontists strongly advise you to brush your teeth after each meal with fluoride toothpaste, and regularly use dental floss and a special brush.
If you wear such devices, food should be cut finely, especially apples and other solid foods. But from soft caramel, popcorn and other yummies, which like to get stuck in your teeth, you better give up completely.
Basic mistakes in cleaning teeth
For more details on how to thoroughly brush your teeth with a toothbrush, we'll talk a little later, but for now your list of the main mistakes in brushing your teeth is given to you.
Wrong brush selection
On TV, we often pay attention to the huge amount of advertising toothbrushes. The world's leading companies present their own version, in their opinion, of an ideal brush. So which brush is best to brush your teeth? Of course, everyone can not be trusted and one should not think that buying one or another advertised brush, you will get rid of all problems with your teeth health. This is certainly confusing.
To choose a brush, as well as a paste, it is necessary in accordance with their individual needs. What are the main criteria for choosing an "ideal" brush?
- Length of handle
- Stiffness of bristles
- The size of the main part of the toothbrush
When using a toothbrush, the main thing is not to feel the slightest tension. To do this, the length of the handle should be optimal, suitable for the structure of your oral cavity. Stiffness of bristles should be selected in accordance with the state of health of your gums. It is worth noting that the stiffness of the bristles absolutely does not affect the quality of cleaning, the main technique. The size of the main part of the toothbrush should also not cause you any discomfort.
It is believed that the most effective brushes are medium in size with a small narrowed head. They can easily cope with cleaning hard-to-reach molars. An important point in choosing a brush is also its ability to clean the tongue, as one of the main breeding grounds for bacteria. To do this, note whether there are special hillocks on the back of the brush, which is very convenient to clean the tongue without damaging it with coarse bristles. If you do not trust this work with your toothbrush, you can find special scrapers and gels on the market for an ideal cleaning of the tongue.
And the last thing you want to mention, when talking about which brush is best to brush your teeth, is the material from which the bristles are made. Most often the choice is in nylon and natural bristles. Probably, each of us will unanimously say that it is better than not finding natural. But here you can admit a serious misfire. Just like us, bacteria love everything natural. For them, a natural brush will be the best breeding medium. Proceeding from this, we conclude that in choosing a brush, preference is given to nylon.
Infrequent or short-term brushing of teeth
The interval between cleansing directly affects the condition of the teeth. In case it is too long, a plaque will appear on the teeth, which, as we already know, is the cause of the spread of the infection in the oral cavity. In this regard, the teeth need to clean two, and preferably three times a day.
Duration of cleaning, should be a minimum of 3 minutes. Dentists advised to divide the oral cavity into four approximately equal parts and give each for 45 seconds.
Tooth brushing too often
Cleaning your teeth more than 3 times a day, in no way improves the health of your oral cavity, but on the contrary, it even hurts. To avoid bad breath, people often forget that the tooth enamel will go away with the smell. Therefore, it is worthwhile to use other methods to combat the undesirable odor.
Ignoring the dental floss
According to statistics, caries most often affects the lateral parts of the tooth. Think about it, because during eating, the food we eat, accumulates in the interdental spaces. Cleaning it with a brush is almost impossible. Here and comes to the aid of a dental floss that will easily remove the remains of food, and leave the teeth healthy.
Disruption of teeth cleaning technology
About how to properly brush your teeth with a toothbrush will be discussed later in the article. It makes sense to note that, ignoring this technique and neglecting the basic rules, you can expose yourself to the risk of serious diseases.
Rare toothbrush wash
When brushing your teeth with a toothbrush, you can remove all accumulated soft plaque. But, of course, that he does not disappear without a trace. If it is not thoroughly washed, after each cleaning, the bacteria accumulated there will multiply, and, once back to us in the oral cavity, will cause inflammatory diseases. So remember that careful washing and drying the toothbrush will keep you healthy.
The Myth about the Efficiency of an Electric Toothbrush
In order to dispel this myth, you need to figure out how many types of electric toothbrushes there are. It turns out that they are represented in four types on the Ukrainian market.
- Brushes with bundles of fibers rotating in all directions.
Of all the above diversity, it is worth noting only the last kind of brushes, like the one that has an advantage over a conventional brush. Indeed, thanks to its properties, the quality of cleaning teeth can be compared with a trip to the dentist. If you still decide to join the ranks of lazy owners of electric toothbrushes, remember that such a brush more irritates the gum, more often leading them to bleeding. Violation of the elementary techniques of using an electric brush can lead to injuries to the gums and damage to the enamel.
In this regard, it is worth considering whether it makes sense to change your habitual way of cleaning your teeth. After all, the usual brush is not inferior to its more modern brethren and does not harm the health of the oral cavity.
Rare brush replacement
Experts recommend changing the brush at least 3-4 months of use, but better and more often. This is due to the fact that, over time, the bristles of the brush are deformed, while losing their flexibility. This brush can no longer be used. It will not bring any harm nor benefit to its owner.
The manufacturer, who is very worried about the health of its customers, took care of this. Now the market is not new to meet a brush that changes the color of its villas, warning the owner about the need to go to the store for a new one. But do not immediately run after this. Carefully watch your assistant: bent bristles, increased "shaggy" indicate that the brush has already outlived its and needs a replacement.
The use of chewing gum instead of the usual tooth cleaning
Do not underestimate chewing gum. They really clean the mouth after eating, but this property only applies to the chewing surface of the teeth. Coping with a full-fledged cleaning of teeth is only possible with a toothbrush, and chewing gum should be used only in exceptional cases.
For those who have a combined bathroom the main thing to remember is that you need to store your brushes in a special case and use a disinfectant solution before cleaning. All because when the toilet flushes the bacteria scatter around at a distance of more than one and a half meters. It is not difficult to guess that these microorganisms settle on brushes as well.
Via adme.ru & guide-dental.ru