What not to do in other countries, advice from foreigners what better not to do in their country
Etiquette (from the French label, nadpis) - the rules of behavior of people in society, supporting the views of the society on the proper. In modern form and meaning, the word was first used at the court of King of France Louis XIV - guests were handed out cards (labels) describing how they should stick; although certain codes of norms and rules of behavior have existed since ancient times.
Diplomatic protocol (from the Greek protokollon (first, glue) - a set of generally accepted rules, traditions and conventions, respected by governments, foreign affairs departments, diplomatic missions, officials in international communication.
We all know that "They do not go to a foreign monastery with their own statute," and when we come to a foreign country, it is necessary to follow local rules. But Shram.kiev.ua again reminds of taboos in different parts of our planet, which should not be violated under any circumstances.
Chile (Chile, officially the Republic of Chile) is a state in the south-west of South America, occupying a long strip of land between the Pacific Ocean and the Andes. In the west it is washed by the Pacific Ocean, in the east it borders with Argentina, in the north with Peru, in the northeast with Bolivia. Chile has a coast line of 6,435 km in length and has exclusive rights, claims of varying degrees and sovereignty over its maritime space, called the Chilean sea. This includes four areas: territorial waters (120,827 square kilometers), contiguous zone (131,669 km), exclusive economic zone (3,681,989 square kilometers), and the corresponding continental shelf (161,338 square kilometers).
Croatia (Croatian Hrvatska), officially The Republic of Croatia is a state in the south of Central Europe, partly in the west of the Balkan Peninsula, a former union republic within Yugoslavia that became independent in 1991. The form of government is a parliamentary republic. The capital and largest city is Zagreb. Croatia borders on the north-west with Slovenia, in the northeast - with Hungary and Serbia, in the south - with Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro; in the west it is washed by the Adriatic Sea. The national currency is kuna. The country has been a member of the UN since 1992; OSCE, the Council of Europe, NATO since 2009; European Union since 2013.
india, the official name - the Republic of India - the state in South Asia. The population is 1 329 356 004 people (August 2016), the territory is 3 287 263 km ², on both these indicators is the largest country in South Asia. It occupies the second place in the world in terms of population and the seventh in terms of territory. The capital is New Delhi. The official languages are Hindi and English. A federal state, a parliamentary republic. The Prime Minister is Narendra Modi, the President is Pranab Mukherjee. It is subdivided into 29 states and 7 union territories. India borders on Pakistan in the west, with China, Nepal and Bhutan in the northeast, with Bangladesh and Myanmar in the east. In addition, India has sea borders with the Maldives in the southwest, with Sri Lanka in the south and Indonesia in the southeast. The disputed territory of the state of Jammu and Kashmir has a border with Afghanistan.
The Republic of Singapore is a city-state located on islands in Southeast Asia, separated from the southern tip of the Malacca Peninsula by the narrow Johor Strait. Borders with the sultanate of Johor, a part of Malaysia, and the islands of Riau in Indonesia. The name Singapore came from the Malay Singa (lion), borrowed from the Sanskrit sinha (lion), and the Sanskrit pura (city).
Ukraine is a country in Eastern Europe. According to the results of the 2001 census, the population was 48,240,902 permanent residents and 48,457,102 people in the current population, according to the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, as of January 1, 2017, 42,414,900 permanent residents and 42,584,500 people in the current population, the territory under the the constitutional structure of the country - 603 549 km ², while part of it by the Ukrainian authorities is not de facto controlled. It occupies the 32nd place in the world in terms of population, 44 (47th) in territory. Ukraine has the largest territory of the states entirely located in Europe. The capital is Kiev. The official language is Ukrainian; widespread Russian.
France, the official name of the French Republic is the state in Western Europe. The motto of the Republic is "Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood", its principle is the rule of the people, the people and for the people. The capital is the city of Paris. The name of the country comes from the ethnonym of the Germanic Franks tribe, despite the fact that the majority of the population of France has a mixed Gallo-Roman origin and speaks the language of the Romance group. France is a nuclear power and one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council. Since the 1950s, France is one of the states participating in the creation of the European Union.
Germany, the official name is the Federal Republic of Germany, the Federal Republic of Germany is a state in Central Europe. The area of the territory is 357 021 km ². The population of the census in 2016 - more than 82 million people. It occupies the 16th place in the world in terms of population (2nd in Europe) and 62nd in the territory. The capital is Berlin. The official language is German. About 65% of the population professes Christianity.
Ireland, the Republic of Ireland is a state in Northern Europe, occupying most of the island of Ireland. In the north it borders on Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom). The area is 70.2 thousand sq. Km. The name of the country comes from the Ir. Éire is a state. The capital is the city of Dublin, home to about a quarter of the population of the whole country (1.4 million people). Member of the organizations: the Council of Europe (since 1949), the UN (since 1955), the OECD (since 1960), the European Union (since 1973), Euratom (since 1973), the European Monetary System (since 1979).
Japan, the official name of Nihon Koku, and Nippon Koku is an island nation in East Asia. It is located in the Pacific Ocean to the east of the Sea of Japan, China, North and South Korea, and Russia. It occupies territory from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north to the East China Sea and Taiwan in the south of the country. Japan is located on the Japanese archipelago, consisting of 6852 islands. The four largest islands - Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku - account for 97% of the total area of the archipelago. Most of the islands are mountainous, many are volcanic. The highest point of Japan is the Fujiyama volcano (3,776 m). With a population of more than 126 million people, Japan ranks tenth in the world. Big Tokyo, which includes the capital of Japan, Tokyo and several nearby prefectures, with a population of more than 30 million people is the largest urban metropolitan area in the world.
Kenya, the official name - the Republic of Kenya - a state in East Africa. It is a former colony of Great Britain, gained independence on December 12, 1963. It is part of the Commonwealth of Nations. Today, the country is one of the most dynamically developing among the countries of East Africa.
Mexico, officially - the Mexican United States - the state in North America, borders the United States on the north, Belize and Guatemala in the southeast, the waters of the Gulf of California and the Pacific in the west, the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean in the east.
New Zealand is a state in the southwestern Pacific Ocean, in Polynesia, located on two large islands (North and South) and a large number (about 700) of adjacent smaller islands. The population, according to the Statistics Office of New Zealand for June 2015, is 4,596,700 people. The capital of the country is Wellington.
The Kingdom of Norway, Norway (Bokmål Kongeriket Norge, Nynorsk Kongeriket Noreg) is a state in Northern Europe, located in the western part of the Scandinavian Peninsula and on a large number of adjacent small islands, as well as the Spitsbergen (Svalbard) archipelago, the Jan Mayen and the Bear Islands in the Arctic the ocean. The overseas territory of Norway is the island of Bouvet in the southern part of the Atlantic Ocean. Also, Norway applies for territories in the Antarctic that fall under the 1961 convention - the Island of Peter I and the Land of Queen Maud. The name of the country comes from the Norse Norse word Norðrvegr - "the way to the north."
Turkey (tour Türkiye), officially the Republic of Turkey (tour Türkiye Cumhuriyeti) is a state located mainly in South-West Asia and partly (about 3% of the territory, 20% of the population) in Southern Europe (Eastern Thrace). The population is 79.4 million people. (2016), the area of the territory is 783 562 km ² [* 1]. The official language is Turkish. It borders on the east with Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan [* 2] and Iran; in the south - with Iraq and Syria; in the west - with Greece and Bulgaria. The country is washed by four seas: Black, Mediterranean, Aegean and Marble.
United Kingdom (Great Britain) or United Kingdom (United Kingdom [jʊ̈nai̯tɘd kɪŋɡdə̯m], abbreviated UK) , the full official form is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland   (English The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), is an island nation in the northwest of continental Europe  . The United Kingdom of Great Britain was formed in 1707 due to the political unification of Scotland and England (including Wales); but even earlier, in 1603, the king of Scotland, Jacob VI (Jacob I) inherited the throne of England and Ireland in the order of a dynastic union. In 1800, the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland united, forming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which, after separation from it in 1922 of the Irish Free State, became known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Tips from foreigners what better not to do in their country
Going to another country, does not interfere with familiarity with local rules of conduct and traditions, so as not to hit the dirt face or seem rude. AdMe.ru gathered for you advice from foreigners about how not to behave in their country. These are the advice of local residents, who are sick of the uncouth tourists. Their comments on the Internet better than any guidebook will tell you how to behave properly at their home.
- If someone gave you a drink, you need to treat him in return. And this applies not only to men: all are equal here.
- Do not necessarily leave a tip to those who work at the bar, they get paid well. But the tip for the waiter is welcome.
- Yes, and we've heard a joke a million times about the Irish being drunkards.
- Do not call anyone here Englishman.
- The strength of a man directly depends on how much he can drink. We do not drink a lot and do not give up drinking.
- Do not violate the line here at all, you risk your life.
- Do not climb without waiting. They will not yell at you, and even hate to watch no one, but someone will write a very very evil status in Facebook, and his friends will be upset.
- Do not have to start a conversation with people you do not know (unless, of course, you do not need help).
- Sit as far apart as possible in public transport. And if the free space is just next to someone, then it's better to go standing up.
- We are not sociopaths, it's just such a strange way to be courteous without interfering in someone else's comfort zone. By the way, the comfort zone is 3 meters.
- If you think you can walk along the bike path calmly, you are crazy. Do not wait for mercy: at best you will simply be scolded.
- Better not say compliments to anyone. We will easily spend the next half hour to prove that in fact we are much worse, and all the rest are incomparably more beautiful.
- In public places it is forbidden to smoke and drink alcohol. Moreover, if you do not drink and do not even open a bottle of alcohol, but just carry it in your hands, you can also be fined.
- We often do not eat red borscht, but drink, so that in a glass there can be not a drink, but this soup. You can buy borscht even in a coffee machine.
- You can not add water to wine, pour sauce on cheese, add alcohol to a dish, the only exception is ice cream, then you can give yourself free rein.
- If you ask for directions, always start a conversation in a polite manner. Use "hello", "sorry", "will not you be so kind", etc. Of course, in French.
- Do not point at someone with an open hand, this gesture is offensive and, in fact, the same as if you say to someone: "Yes you donkey, sir."
- Men do not wear shorts in public places.
- If you openly criticize the government, then you will attract a lot of attention.
- Local people can claim money from you for taking pictures of the neighborhood. Do not give in to provocation.
- When entering the country, you may be asked to enter your login and password from your social network account for security reasons. Create a false account before you leave. Just in case.
- You need to take off your shoes when you enter the house, unless the owner tells you that you can remain shod.
- Do not give up tea, just not from tea. That's rough.
- There are two topics that are better not to be touched in dealing with the Turks - the Kurds and Cyprus. Do not call Istanbul Constantinople and confuse the capital of the state (the main city of Turkey now is Ankara).
- If at a meeting a hand for a handshake is served by a woman, it looks strange. This gesture means that a woman is ready to get to know each other very closely.
- Do not drink water from the tap, if you do not want to get upset stomach, well, or die.
- If you leave a tip to someone, you show that you consider him an unprofessional employee, because you think he needs an additional fee.
- We do not talk on the mobile phone at the station, stop and even more so on the train - this disturbs the rest of other passengers and is considered to be the top of unculturedness (all write SMSs).
- For an unflattering statement about a king or a royal family, you can get fifteen years in prison.
- If a local calls you to dinner, eat slower than he does. Extremely impolite, if the guest before the master will handle the contents of the plate.
- We tend to bargain, and at the same time, everywhere - in the markets and in stores. If you do not know how to bargain, no one will respect you.
- Just do not give white flowers - they are usually given for funerals.
- In no case should you touch children, especially if you are a stranger to them. You will be misunderstood and may be arrested.
- In large cities (especially in New York), residents move quickly. There is always someone who is faster than you, do not line up, let's overtake yourself.
- Leaning against a stranger in the transport - this is normal, in the store - no.
- In the underground phone does not work - call in advance.
- The main thing is not to trust policemen and taxi drivers.
- Do not show the phone and money in public places - you will definitely be robbed.
- If you speak English, the locals assume that you are from America, which means that you have money. So, most likely they will rob you when they find such an opportunity. Learn Spanish.
- It is better to keep as far as possible from our police. Try not to let the police hear your accent and see your documents. Just count that you will pay about 50 bucks every time you ignore this warning.
- Do not make fun of Jaca.
- Do not touch our sheep.
- And for God's sake, do not look for the ring of omnipotence.
- Please try to speak with an Australian accent, it makes us so happy. And in general, this is Australia, do whatever you want.
If you have something to add about the rules of etiquette and the characteristics of communication in different countries, share in the comments.
Via Business Insider & Adme.ru & wiki