What not to do in other countries, advice from foreigners which is better not to do in their country
Etiquette (from fr. Label, inscription) - the rules of behavior of people in society, supporting the presentation of this society about appropriate. In its modern form and meaning, the word was first used at the court of Louis XIV, King of France - guests were given cards (labels) outlining how they should be held; although certain codes of conduct have existed since ancient times.
Diplomatic protocol (from the Greek protokollon (first, glued) - a set of generally accepted rules, traditions and conventions observed by governments, foreign affairs agencies, diplomatic missions, officials in international communication.
We all know that “ We do n’t go to a foreign monastery with its charter,” and when we arrive in a foreign country, it is necessary to follow local rules. But Shram.kiev.ua once again reminds of taboos in different parts of our planet, which should not be violated under any circumstances.
Chile (Spanish Chile, the official name is the Republic of Chile) is a state in southwestern South America, occupying a long strip of land between the Pacific Ocean and the Andes. It is washed by the Pacific Ocean in the west, bordered by Argentina in the east, Peru in the north, and Bolivia in the northeast. Chile has a coastline of 6435 km in length and has exclusive rights, requirements of varying degrees and sovereignty over its sea space, called the Chilean Sea. This includes four areas: territorial waters (120,827 square kilometers), the contiguous zone (131 669 km), the exclusive economic zone (3,681,989 square kilometers), and the corresponding continental shelf (161,338 square kilometers).
Croatia (Croatian Hrvatska), officially the Republic of Croatia is a state in the south of Central Europe, partly in the west of the Balkan Peninsula, a former union republic of Yugoslavia, which became independent in 1991. The form of government is a parliamentary republic. The capital and largest city is Zagreb. Croatia borders Slovenia in the northwest, Hungary and Serbia in the northeast, and Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro in the south; in the west it is washed by the Adriatic Sea. National currency - Kuna. The country has been a member of the UN since 1992; OSCE, Council of Europe, NATO since 2009; European Union since 2013.
India, the official name - the Republic of India - a state in South Asia. The population is 1 329 356 004 people (August 2016), the territory is 3 287 263 km², in both of these indicators is the largest country in South Asia. It ranks second in the world in population and seventh in the territory. The capital is New Delhi. The state languages are Hindi and English. Federal state, parliamentary republic. Prime Minister - Narendra Modi, President - Pranab Mukherjee. It is subdivided into 29 states and 7 union territories. India borders with Pakistan in the west, with China, Nepal and Bhutan in the northeast, with Bangladesh and Myanmar in the east. In addition, India has maritime borders with the Maldives in the southwest, with Sri Lanka in the south and with Indonesia in the southeast. The disputed territory of the state of Jammu and Kashmir has a border with Afghanistan.
The Republic of Singapore is a city-state located on islands in Southeast Asia, separated from the southern tip of the Malacca Peninsula by the narrow Strait of Johor. It borders with the Sultanate of Johor, which is part of Malaysia, and the Riau Islands in Indonesia. The name Singapore comes from the Malay Singa (lion), borrowed from the Sanskrit sinha (lion), and the Sanskrit pura (city).
Ukraine is a state in Eastern Europe. The population, according to the 2001 census, was 48,240,902 permanent residents and 48,457,102 actual population, according to the State Statistics Service of Ukraine on January 1, 2017 - 42,414,900 permanent residents and 42,584,500 actual population, the territory within The constitutional structure of the country is 603,549 km², while a part of it is de facto not controlled by the Ukrainian authorities. It occupies the 32nd place in the world in terms of population, 44 (47) -e on the territory. Ukraine has the largest territory of the states entirely located in Europe. The capital is Kiev. The state language is Ukrainian; widespread Russian.
France, the official name of the French Republic - a state in Western Europe. The motto of the Republic is “Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood”, its principle is the rule of the people, by the people and for the people. The capital is the city of Paris. The name of the country comes from the ethnonym of the Germanic tribe of Franks, despite the fact that the majority of the population of France has a mixed Gallo-Romance origin and speaks the language of the Romance group. France is a nuclear power and one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council. Since the 1950s, France has been one of the states involved in the creation of the European Union.
Germany, the official name - the Federal Republic of Germany, Germany - a state in Central Europe. The area of the territory is 357,021 km². The population of the 2016 census is more than 82 million. It ranks 16th in the world in terms of population (2nd in Europe) and 62nd in territory. The capital is Berlin. The state language is German. About 65% of the population professes Christianity.
Ireland, the Republic of Ireland - the state in Northern Europe, which occupies most of the island of Ireland. In the north it borders with Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom). Area - 70.2 thousand km ². The name of the country comes from irl. Éire - the state. The capital is the city of Dublin, which has about a quarter of the population of the entire country (1.4 million people). Member of organizations: the Council of Europe (since 1949), the United Nations (since 1955), the OECD (since 1960), the European Union (since 1973), Euratom (since 1973), the European Monetary System (since 1979).
Japan, the official name "Nihon Koku", "Nippon Koku" is an island nation in East Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean east of the Sea of Japan, China, North and South Korea, Russia. It covers the territory from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north to the East China Sea and Taiwan in the south of the country. Japan is located on the Japanese archipelago, consisting of 6852 islands. The four largest islands - Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku - make up 97% of the total archipelago area. Most of the islands are mountainous, many volcanic. The highest point of Japan is the volcano Fuji (3776 m). With a population of over 126 million people, Japan ranks tenth in the world. Greater Tokyo, which includes the capital of Japan, Tokyo and several nearby prefectures, with a population of over 30 million people, is the largest urban agglomeration in the world.
Kenya, the official name - the Republic of Kenya - a state in East Africa. It is a former colony of Great Britain, gained independence on December 12, 1963. Included in the Commonwealth of Nations. Today the country is one of the most dynamically developing countries in East Africa.
Mexico, officially - the Mexican United States is a state in North America, bordered by the United States in the north, Belize and Guatemala in the south-east, washed by the Gulf of California and the Pacific in the west, and by the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean in the east.
New Zealand is a state in the southwest Pacific Ocean, in Polynesia, located on two large islands (North and South) and a large number (approximately 700) of adjacent smaller islands. The population, according to Statistics New Zealand as of June 2015, is 4,596,700 people. The capital of the country is the city of Wellington.
The Kingdom of Norway, Norway (Kongeriket Norge Book, Kongeriket Noreg Nynorsk) is a state in Northern Europe, located in the western part of the Scandinavian Peninsula and on a huge number of adjacent small islands, as well as the Spitsbergen (Svalbard) archipelago, the Jan Mayen Islands and the Medvezhy in the Northern Lead Islands in the North Lebed. the ocean. Overseas territory of Norway is the island of Bouvet in the southern Atlantic Ocean. Norway also claims the territory in Antarctica, falling under the convention of 1961 - Peter I Island and Queen Maud Land. The name of the country comes from the Norse word Norðrvegr - “the way to the north”.
Turkey (Tour. Türkiye), officially the Republic of Turkey (Tour. Türkiye Cumhuriyeti) is a state located mainly in South-West Asia and partially (about 3% of the territory, 20% of the population) in Southern Europe (Eastern Thrace). Population - 79.4 million people. (2016), the area of the territory is 783 562 km² [* 1]. The official language is Turkish. It borders in the east with Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan [* 2] and Iran; in the south, with Iraq and Syria; in the west - with Greece and Bulgaria. The country is washed by four seas: Black, Mediterranean, Aegean and Marmara.
United Kingdom (Russian name from the English. Great Britain) or the United Kingdom (United Kingdom [jʊ̈nai̯tɘd kɪŋɡdə̯m], abbreviated as UK) , the full official form - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland   (English The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), an island nation in the north-west of mainland Europe  . The United Kingdom of Great Britain was formed in 1707 as a result of the political unification of Scotland and England (including Wales); but even earlier, in 1603, King James of Scotland VI (James I) inherited the thrones of England and Ireland in the order of the dynastic union. In 1800, the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland united, forming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which, after its separation from it in 1922, became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Tips from foreigners which is better not to do in their country
Going to another country does not interfere with the local rules of conduct and traditions, so as not to lose face or seem rude. AdMe.ru has collected for you advice from foreigners on how not to behave in their country. This is the advice of local residents who are tired of uncouth tourists. Their comments on the Internet better than any guidebooks tell you how to behave at home.
- If someone has treated you to a drink, you need to treat him in return. And this concerns not only men: everyone is equal here.
- It is not necessary to leave a tip to those who work at the bar, they are paid well. But tips for the waiter are welcome.
- Yes, and we already heard a joke a million times that the Irish are drunkards.
- Do not call anyone here an Englishman.
- The strength of a man depends on how much he can drink. We do not drink enough and do not refuse to drink.
- In no case do not break the line here, you risk your life.
- Do not climb out of turn. They will not shout at you, and even nobody will hate to look, but someone will write a very, very angry status on Facebook, and his friends will be upset.
- No need to start a conversation with people you do not know (unless, of course, you need help).
- Sit as far as possible from each other in public transport. And if the free space is just next to someone, then it is better to go standing up.
- We are not sociopaths, it's just such a strange way to be courteous, without interfering in someone else's comfort zone. By the way, the comfort zone is 3 meters.
- If you think you can safely walk along the bike path - you are crazy. Do not wait for mercy: at best, they will simply curse you.
- Better not give anyone compliments. We can easily spend the next half hour to prove that in fact we are much worse and the rest are incomparably more beautiful.
- It is forbidden to smoke and drink alcohol in public places. Moreover, if you do not drink or even open a bottle of alcohol, but simply carry it in your hands, you can also be fined.
- Red borsch is often not eaten, but drunk, so in a glass it may not be a drink, but this soup. You can buy soup even in the coffee machine.
- You can not add water to the wine, pour the sauce on the cheese, add alcohol to the dish, the only exception is ice cream, you can give yourself free rein.
- If you ask for directions, always start the conversation in a polite manner. Use “hello”, “sorry”, “would you not be so kind”, etc. Of course, in French.
- Do not point to someone open palm, this gesture is offensive and, in essence, the same as if you say to someone: "Yes, you donkey, sir."
- Men do not wear shorts in public.
- If you openly criticize the government, you will attract a lot of attention.
- Local may require you money for taking pictures of the neighborhood. Do not give in to provocation.
- At the entrance to the country, you may be asked for the login and password from the social network account for security purposes. Create a false account before leaving. Just in case.
- You need to take off your shoes when you enter the house, unless the owner himself tells you that you can remain shod.
- Do not refuse tea, but not tea. That's rough.
- There are two topics that it is better not to touch upon in communication with the Turks - the Kurds and Cyprus. You should not call Istanbul Constantinople and confuse the capital of the state (Turkey’s main city now is Ankara).
- If a woman gives her a handshake when she meets, it looks weird. This gesture means that the woman is ready to meet very closely.
- Do not drink water from the tap, if you do not want to earn an upset stomach, or die.
- If you leave a tip to someone, you show that you consider him to be an unprofessional worker, because you think that he needs an additional fee.
- We do not talk on the mobile phone at the station, the bus stop, and even more so on the train - it violates the peace of other passengers and is considered the height of lack of culture (everyone writes SMS).
- For an unflattering statement about a king or royal family, you can get fifteen years in prison.
- If a local resident has invited you to dinner, eat more slowly than he does. It is extremely impolite if the guest before the owner will cope with the contents of the plate.
- We have decided to bargain, and at the same time, everywhere - in the markets and in stores. If you do not know how to bargain, no one will respect you.
- Just do not give white flowers - they decided to give to the funeral.
- In no case should not touch the children, especially if you are a stranger to them. You will be misunderstood and may be arrested.
- In big cities (especially in New York), people move quickly. There is always someone who is faster than you - do not line up, let's go ahead.
- Leaning against a stranger in a vehicle is normal, not in a store.
- In the subway phones do not work - call in advance.
- The main thing - do not trust the police and taxi drivers.
- Do not show the phone and money in public places - you are bound to be robbed.
- If you speak English, the locals assume that you are from America, which means you have money. So, most likely they will rob you when they find such an opportunity. Learn Spanish.
- Better to keep as far away from our police. Try to keep the police from hearing your accent and not seeing your documents. Just expect that you will lay out about 50 bucks every time you ignore this warning.
- Don't make fun of Hack.
- Do not touch our sheep.
- And for God's sake, do not look for the absolute power ring.
- Please try to speak with an Australian accent, it makes us so happy. And in general, this is Australia, do whatever you want.
If you have something to add about the rules of etiquette and the features of communication in different countries, share in the comments.
Via Business Insider & Adme.ru & wiki