Steel, cast and forged wheels for the car
A wheel is a mover, a round (as a rule) disk, which rotates freely or fixed on an axis, allowing the body put on it to roll rather than slide. It is widely used for cargo transportation, it is universally used in various mechanisms and tools. The automobile wheel is an integral part of the vehicle and together with the tire, is the propulsor of the wheeled vehicle.
Criteria for choosing a drive for a car
The first and most important criterion for car drives is strength. This means that they must withstand the maximum load and not crumble in motion. The test for the discs can serve as a tramway. In practice, there have been cases when these obstacles for poor-quality discs were decisive, i.e. they simply broke up or a small piece broke off from them.
Another criterion is mass. The smaller the mass, the better the behavior of the car on the road. This is due to the fact that the wheel together with the disc is an unsprung weight, which affects handling, speed, fuel consumption and smoothness of movement.
It is believed that if the weight of one wheel is reduced by one kilogram, then it is possible to transport about 50-60 kilograms more cargo.
Automobile stamped wheels
Steel (stamped) discs for the car are widespread. Until now, cars off the assembly line with this type of drive. Although this trend is reduced in favor of cast alloy wheels.
Stamped wheels are inherent in cars in the lowest price category. Steel discs are made from conventional steel by stamping, and then coated with varnish or primer. Due to the ease of production, they are the cheapest, their cost is 2 times less than the cost of cast wheels.
The advantage of pressed discs is their reliability. In the case of shocks and maximum loads - they just bend, which can later be corrected in the tire. Disadvantages of steel discs: a large mass, not very beautiful appearance and increased corrosion. The most common manufacturers of steel discs are Eurasia Tapo Disc, KrKZ, Mefro and KFZ .
The advantages of the steel disc are as follows:
- Plastic. With any impact, the disc takes a deforming effect on itself, thereby protecting the suspension, the body and the tire.
- Maintainability. This property directly depends on plasticity. The bent disk can be aligned, and again put on the same machine.
- Low price. It is determined by the low cost of production of the wheel.
Disadvantages of steel disc:
- Great weight. This characteristic of the drive affects the dynamics of the car. The car accelerates more slowly and slows down more slowly, because the wheels act like heavy flywheels. In addition, a large weight adversely affects the work of the suspension and passenger comfort.
- Unaesthetic appearance.
- Low corrosion resistance.
Car alloy wheels
Alloy wheels have become popular among car enthusiasts due to their beautiful appearance. Alloy wheels are installed not only on expensive cars, but also on budget cars.
In addition to the appearance, "casting" has other advantages: low weight, high strength and good resistance to corrosion. The only drawback is the high cost when compared with stamped wheels. Alloy wheels are widely represented on the market. They are sold, both domestic companies KiK, "Vikom", and foreign - AEZ, Artec, BBS, Rondell. The price of cast wheels depends on the brand and on the quality of the manufactured products.
The advantages of the cast disc are as follows:
- Low weight (compared to punching). It leads to an improvement in the dynamic characteristics of the vehicle, the suspension is unloaded, the comfort of movement is increased, and a gentle temperature regime is established for the braking system.
- Highly aesthetic appearance and multivariate design.
Disadvantages of a cast disk:
- Fragility. Here is the main drawback! The most annoying thing is that when hit, the disc not only betrays all the energy to the suspension and the car body, but can easily split.
- Inconvenience. Such a disk is very difficult to recover or simply not possible.
Automobile forged wheels
Forged wheels have not received such due distribution, which they deserve. This can be explained that in Europe forged wheels because of the price are attributes of luxury sports cars. In the CIS with light-alloy forged wheels are much better.
What is better forged alloy wheels? Forged weighs less, much stronger and does not break with a strong blow , as cast. Also, forged wheels improve the aerodynamics of the car at high speeds. They are popular among motor racing and tuning enthusiasts. For this, VSPMO company produces magnesium wheels. Among other domestic companies that occupy these disks are KUMZ, KRAMZ, and Vils.
The choice of drives for the car is determined by the needs and the amount in the wallet. If you want to give the car a better appearance, then the choice - alloy wheels. If you are engaged in autosport or you like tuning - forged. For motorists who value reliability and do not have an extra amount, the ideal choice is stamped wheels.
You can see how the wheels on the car look on the Internet on sites that sell wheels and tires. You choose your car and the right drives and you will be shown how the car will look with these drives. Very convenient and intuitive.
The advantages of the forged disc are as follows:
- Low weight - Almost two times lighter than pressed steel and 40% lighter than cast aluminum. And what affects the weight of the wheel, we have already discussed above.
- Plasticity and high strength - it is impossible to split.
- Resistance to corrosion. Much higher than the cast and, more so than the stamped.
Disadvantages of forged drive:
- Price, price and price again! ..
- Design. It is certainly better than stamping, but somewhat more stingy and less diverse than cast wheels.