VIN code, Verification VIN, VIN Decoder, VIN codes of cars, VIN construction principle
Manufacturers VIN Check
|BMW||FORD *||HONDA||JEEP **||LEXUS|
Remember that the vin number must be 17 characters!
- * Decodes FORD cars since 1981.
- ** Decodes all JEEP cars since 1981.
- *** The system issues a full complete set in SA codes Mercedes.
If the VIN check fails, the reason for the wrong VIN may be three:
- 1. You incorrectly counted the code from the car, check again (it should not contain the letters I, O and Q).
- 2. The symbol "C" was entered from the "Russian" keyboard, and not from the "English".
- 3. VIN is incorrect (as a rule, this happens with "broken" cars).
The principle of building a VIN car code
Each vehicle at the time of "birth" manufacturer assigns an identification number. By deciphering the VIN correctly, you can find out when, where, by whom and in what configuration the car is assembled.
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) - 17-digit combination (numbers, letters, etc.).
There are no unified international regulatory documents binding for and establishing the principles for constructing a VIN. Any manufacturer has the right to form it arbitrarily.
European firms apply the general recommendations of ISO standards (1) :
- - ISO 3779-1983 “Road vehicles.
Vehicle identification number. Content and structure ”
(“Road vehicles. Vehicle identification number (VIN). Content and structure”)
- - ISO 3780-1983 “Road vehicles.
Global Manufacturer Identification Code ”
(“Road vehicles. World manufacturer identifier (WMI) code”)
They are also based on EEC directives (2) and Russian standards (3) . Manufacturers from the USA, Korea, Japan, supplying cars to Europe, including Russia, also build a VIN according to these principles.
Formation of VIN according to ISO standards
The system is designed so that there will be no repetition of numbers - the same combination of characters - for 30 years. A vehicle (CU) can have only one VIN. It is assigned by the end manufacturer - the one from whom a serviceable vehicle leaves, whether it is made from scratch or assembled from large units.
The identification number consists of sections (parts) filled with significant characters - Arabic numerals (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) and Latin letters (except I, O, Q). In addition, you can use dividers, marking the beginning and end of the VIN, or separating from each other parts of it. The appearance of these signs is not regulated - as long as they do not look like meaningful ones.
There are three sections in the issue:
- - World manufacturer identifier code ( WMI ) . It consists of three symbols and denotes the manufacturer (4) of the vehicle, the geographical area, and the country where it is located. If the annual production program does not exceed 500 pcs., The third sign of WMI is given the number 9. WMI has no right to designate a car factory. The codes of the geographic area and country are taken into account and controlled by the authorized International Agency (5) , and the manufacturer within the country is taken into account by a local competent organization working in agreement with the International Agency.
- - Descriptive (Vehicle Descriptor Section - VDS ) . It contains six symbols characterizing a vehicle (its purpose, engine types, cab, body, braking system, number of axles, etc.). The types, amount and method of coding this information are chosen by the manufacturer, taking into account the general restrictions adopted when generating the identification number. If the description of the characteristics is not filled with all VDS positions, put on the free symbols from among the significant ones used in the construction of the VIN (for example, the digit zero).
- - Indicator (Vehicle indicator section - VIS ) . It consists of eight characters and reflects the uniqueness of the vehicle. The first to put the code of the year - the manufacture of the vehicle or model (6) (see Table. 1), the second - the assembly plant. Places from the third to the eighth are reserved for the production (serial) number of the vehicle. Moreover, it is put on the last positions (see Example of building a VIN), and the signs from the eighth to the fifth inclusive should be numbers. If the production number is six-digit or less, the free space is occupied by zeros.
Table 1. Recommended codes for vehicle release dates (in accordance with ISO 3779: 1983).
|Year of issue||Release year code||Year of issue||Release year code|
VIN construction example
The main, often used by manufacturers, although it may not be, the VIN formation feature is the so-called “check digit” in the ninth position of the VIN (the sixth is VDS). Substituting the remaining digits of the number into a special formula and making a calculation, the experts compare its result with the check digit. If they match, the VIN is authentic. When not - the number is faked.
Place and methods of applying VIN numbers
The number is placed (7) on the right side of the vehicle on the integral body panel (frame spar) and, if possible, in its front part.
Marking is allowed to arrange in one or two lines. But each section of the number can be placed only on one of them, it is impossible to break it, transferring a part to another line. VIN documents are entered in one line without separators and spaces.
Other details - the size of the figures, the method of application - the standard does not stipulate.
Features of building a VIN in Russia
ISO standards are advisory in nature, and Russian manufacturers are required to comply with the requirements of domestic GOST and OST. Wherein:
- - “control” number is not used;
- - the manufacturer's code (WMI), as well as the type of vehicle (8) , affixed in the descriptive section, assigns and takes into account the federal state unitary enterprise (9) by us , issuing official confirmation letters to the car manufacturer;
- - the identification number of the previously (for the canceled OST) was applied directly to the vehicle in several places, the least susceptible to destruction during an accident. One of them must be chosen on the right side (in the direction of travel) of the vehicle ( see Table 3 ).
Table 3. VIN application sites according to OST 37.001.269-96
|Type of vehicle||Construction element||Number of places||Approximate location of places|
|A car||Body||2||Front, back|
The current GOST also requires you to put the VIN on the right - on the frame, chassis or hard-to-remove part of the body.
In any case, the number is additionally indicated on the plate of the vehicle manufacturer ...
Ways of applying VIN numbers:
- - the way, more precisely the technology, the application of VIN is not regulated. The manufacturer is obliged to ensure the clarity of the image and its preservation throughout the life of the vehicle and make the number so that it is difficult to change;
- - the height of the meaningful VIN symbols applied to the chassis, frame, body and other parts of the vehicle must be at least 7 mm, and in other cases (on the plate) - at least 4 mm;
- - the structure, content and locations of the VIN of vehicles certified in the territory of the Russian Federation (10) must be indicated in Appendix No. 2 to the “Type Approval of the Vehicle” and in the operation manual.
The identification number does not affect the consumer properties of the vehicle. Therefore, in most cases, the car owner remembers him when buying and annual technical inspection of the car. Many don't even know where the VIN is located on it. Nevertheless, it is advisable:
- When purchasing a car, especially a used one, carefully examine the number. The differences of its characters from each other in angle of inclination, size (height and width), depth, the shape of the same letters and numbers can be signs of a fake. In addition, the characters in the line should stand on one line - not “jump out” and not “fall through”.
- Corrosive VINa, which is strikingly disproportionate to the rest of the details, is often caused artificially to hide the traces of a change in number. The discolouration of the part on which the VIN is applied, rough welded seams, unlike the symmetrical half of the body, or traces of mechanical stripping are also unacceptable (11) ;
- Doubting the authenticity of the number - show the car to specialists. In the Moscow police department at the forensic center (12) , a department has been created that works with citizens and organizations (legal entities). After checking the car, its owner is given an act issued on a special form. This document is required for admission to the traffic police of Moscow;
- Preparing for technical inspection - wash the VIN from dirt with water or, in extreme cases, with gasoline. It is impossible to remove rust by chemical preparations or by machining (even to rub it with sanding cloth). Such zeal is suspicious for a policeman - perhaps the owner wanted to remove traces of a fake. If the owner of the car does not know where her identification number is located, it is better to ask the inspector to show this place before the check in order to clean it if necessary. And in order not to get dirty and do not rub the metal dry - to come on a clean car, taking with him a rag and water;
- wanting to keep the VIN in its original form longer - do not paint it. On the one hand, such care is the business of a car factory. On the other hand, the specialists know what the room looks like, aging with the car. Deviations in any direction cause unnecessary questions. When you really want, you can cover the numbers and letters with colorless varnish, in the extreme case, “Movil” or their analogues. However, any protective film must be easily washable, for example with gasoline, but not with acid, etc. chemical reagents.
Abbreviations and additional information1 ISO - International Organization for Standardization.
2 In the EEC (European Economic Community) the following directives apply:
- 76/114 / EEC “Plates of manufacturers of motor vehicles and trailers. Their content, location and methods of attachment ”;
- 78/507 / EEC “Changes to Directive 76/114 / EEC“ Plates for manufacturers of motor vehicles and trailers. Their content, location and attachment methods. ”
4 Person (enterprise, company), producing ready-to-use vehicle.
5 Currently, the Automotive Engineers Association (SAE) has these rights.
6 Model - conditional year, usually following the actual year of release of the vehicle.
7 ISO 4030-77 Standard “Vehicle Identification Number. Location and method of application. ”
8 It is formed according to the branch normal OH 025 270-66 “Classification and designation system of automobile rolling stock, as well as its units and components produced by specialized enterprises”.
9 FSUE - Federal State Unitary Enterprise.
10 In accordance with the established procedure, the manufacturer was issued with a “Vehicle Type Approval” - a document confirming the vehicle’s compliance with current regulations (on braking properties, controllability, passive safety, etc.). The vehicle owner is not given it.
11 For counterfeiting or destroying the vehicle identification number for its operation or sale, a penalty is imposed - a fine or restriction of freedom (Art. 326 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation).
12 The department is located on the territory of the Main Department of Internal Affairs of Moscow, and its posts are in all districts of Moscow. It is more convenient to apply to the nearest to the place of residence. In which - you can find out by phone. department 200-93-65 and 200-93-59.
VIN Decoder - decrypts vin car number
VIN Decoder is a program that decrypts the vin number of the car, giving you a complete set of cars, as well as checking the correctness of the vin code on the check digit.
The check digit is in the ninth position of the VIN code and is the result of mathematical transformations with the remaining characters of the VIN number. This is a kind of protection against interception by intruders of the VIN code, since in this case it is necessary to recalculate and interrupt the check digit too.
The system is designed to decrypt the vin-numbers of cars of the following brands: VAZ, Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMV, Citroen, Daewoo, Ford, Honda, Hundai, Jaguar, Lexus, Mazda, Mersedes Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Saab , Skoda, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo .