VIN code, Check VIN, VIN Decoder, VIN codes of cars, Principle of construction VIN
VIN verification from manufacturers
|BMW||FORD *||HONDA||JEEP **||LEXUS|
Remember that the vin number should be 17 characters!
- * Decodes FORD cars since 1981.
- ** Decodes all JEEP cars since 1981.
- *** The system provides a complete set of SA codes Mercedes.
If the VIN check fails due to a wrong VIN, there may be three:
- 1. You misread the code from the car, check it again (it should not contain the letters I, O, and Q).
- 2. The symbol "C" was introduced from the "Russian" keyboard, and not from the "English" keyboard.
- 3. VIN is incorrect (as a rule this happens in "killed" cars).
The principle of constructing the VIN code of the car
Each vehicle at the time of "birth" the manufacturer assigns an identification number. Correctly decrypting VIN, you can find out when, where, by whom and in what configuration the machine is assembled.
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a 17-digit combination (numbers, letters, etc.).
There are no unified international normative documents that are binding for implementation and lay down the principles for constructing VIN. Any manufacturer has the right to form it arbitrarily.
European companies apply general recommendations of ISO (1) :
- - ISO 3779-1983 "Road vehicles.
Identification number of the vehicle. Content and structure "
("Road vehicles. Vehicle identification number (VIN). Content and structure")
- - ISO 3780-1983 "Road vehicles.
Identification code of the world manufacturer "
("Road vehicles, World manufacturer identifier (WMI) code")
They are also based on the directives of the EEC (2) and Russian standards (3) . Manufacturers from the USA, Korea, Japan, supplying cars to Europe, including Russia, also build VIN on these principles.
Formation of VIN according to ISO standards
The system is built in such a way that there are no duplications of numbers - the same combinations of signs - for 30 years. A vehicle (TC) can have only one VIN. It is assigned by the final manufacturer - the one from whom the usable car comes out, whether it is made "from scratch" or assembled from large units.
The VIN structure
The identification number consists of sections (parts) filled with meaningful symbols - Arabic numerals (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) and Latin letters (except I, O, Q). In addition, you can use delimiters that mark the beginning and end of a VIN, or separate parts of it. The appearance of these signs is not regulated - if only they were not like meaningful.
There are three sections in the issue:
- - The world manufacturer code (world manufacturer identifier code - WMI ) . It consists of three symbols and denotes the manufacturer (4) of the vehicle, the geographical area, and also the country where it is located. If the annual production program does not exceed 500 pieces, the third digit WMI is set to the number 9. WMI auto plant can not appoint. Codes of the geographical area and country are accounted for and controlled by the authorized International Agency (5) , and the manufacturer in the country is a local competent organization that works in agreement with the International Agency.
- - Descriptive (Vehicle Descriptor Section - VDS ) . There are six symbols characterizing the vehicle (its purpose, types of engine, cab, body, braking system, number of axles, etc.). The type, quantity and method of coding of this information is chosen by the manufacturer, taking into account the general limitations assumed in the formation of the identification number. If the description of the characteristics does not fill all the VDS positions, the symbols are placed on the free of the significant ones used in constructing the VIN (for example, the digit zero).
- - Indicator (Vehicle indicator section - VIS ) . It consists of eight signs and reflects the uniqueness of the vehicle. First put the code of the year - the manufacture of the TS or model (6) (see Table 1), the second - the assembly plant. Places from the third to the eighth are reserved for the production (ordinal) number of the vehicle. And it is put on the last positions (see the example of building VIN), and the signs from the eighth to the fifth inclusive, should be numbers. If the production number is six-digit or less, the free spaces are occupied by zeros.
Table 1. Recommended codes for the years of issue of the TS (in accordance with ISO 3779: 1983).
|Year of issue||Year Code||Year of issue||Year Code|
Example of constructing VIN
The main, often used by manufacturers, although it may not be, the feature of forming VIN - the so-called "check digit" on the ninth position of VIN (sixth - VDS). Substituting the remaining digits of the number in a special formula and making the calculation, the experts compare its result with the control figure. If they match, the VIN is genuine. When not, the number was forged.
Place and methods of applying VIN numbers
The number is located (7) on the right side of the vehicle on the integral panel of the load-bearing body (frame member) and, if possible, in its front part.
The marking can be arranged in one or two lines. But each section of the number can be placed only on one of them, it is impossible to split it, transferring a part to another line. VIN documents are entered in one line without separating signs and gaps.
Other details - the size of the figures, the method of application - the standard does not stipulate.
Features of building VIN in Russia
The ISO standards are of an advisory nature, and Russian manufacturers are obliged to fulfill the requirements of domestic GOST and OST. Wherein:
- - "control" number is not used;
- - the manufacturer's code (WMI), as well as the type of vehicle (8) in the descriptive section, assigns and takes into account FSUE (9) NAMI, issuing formal confirmation letters to the manufacturer of the machine;
- - the identification number earlier (on canceled OST) was applied directly to the vehicle in several places, least susceptible to destruction during an accident. One of them was necessarily selected from the right side (along the road) of the vehicle ( see Table 3 ).
Table 3. Places of application of VIN for OST 37.001.269-96
|Type of vehicle||Element of construction||Number of places||Approximate arrangement of seats|
|A car||Body||2||Front, rear|
The current GOST also requires you to place the VIN on the right - on the frame, chassis or difficult part of the body.
In any case, the number additionally indicates the nameplate of the vehicle manufacturer ...
Ways to apply VIN numbers:
- - the way, more precisely technology, applying VIN is not regulated. The manufacturer is obliged to ensure the clarity of the image and its safety throughout the life of the vehicle and make the number so that it is difficult to change;
- - the height of the significant VIN symbols on the chassis, frame, body and other parts of the vehicle must be at least 7 mm, and in other cases (on the plate) - not less than 4 mm;
- - the structure, contents and location of the VIN of vehicles certified in the territory of the Russian Federation (10) , are always indicated in Appendix No. 2 to the "Vehicle Type Approval" and in the operating manual.
The identification number does not affect the consumer properties of the vehicle. Therefore, in most cases, the car owner remembers it when buying and annual technical inspection of the car. Many do not even know where VIN is located on it. Nevertheless, it is advisable:
- When buying a car, especially second-hand, carefully inspect the room. The differences of its signs with respect to the angle of inclination, size (height and width), depth, and the inscription of identical letters and numbers can be signs of forgery. In addition, the characters in the line should be on the same line - not "jump out" and do not "fall through".
- The conspicuous VIN corrosion, which is disproportionate to the rest of the details, is often caused artificially to hide the traces of the number change. The varnish color of the part on which VIN is applied, rough welds that are unlike the symmetrical half of the body, or traces of mechanical stripping - are also unacceptable (11) ;
- Doubting the authenticity of the numbers - show the machine to specialists. In the Moscow police, an expert-criminal center (12) established a department that works with citizens and organizations (legal entities). After checking the car, its owner is issued an act, issued on a special form. This document is mandatory for admission to the State Traffic Safety Inspectorate of Moscow;
- Preparing for technical inspection - wash VIN from dirt with water or, in extreme cases, with gasoline. Remove rust by chemical preparations or by mechanical treatment (even rub with a sanding cloth) - not. Such zeal is suspicious for a policeman - perhaps, the owner wanted to remove traces of a fake. If the owner of the car does not know where the identification number is located, it is better to ask the inspector to show this place before the check, in order to clear it if necessary. And not to get dirty and do not rub the metal dry - to come in a clean car, taking a rag and water;
- wishing to preserve VIN in its original form for a long time - do not paint it. On the one hand, such concern is the business of the car factory. On the other hand, experts know what a number looks like, aging with the car. Deviations in any direction cause unnecessary questions. When you really want, you can cover the numbers and letters with a colorless varnish, in extreme cases, "Moville" or their analogues. However, any protective film must be easily washable, for example gasoline, but not with acid, and the like. chemical reagents.
Abbreviations and additional information1 ISO - International Organization for Standardization.
2 In the EEC (European Economic Community) there are directives:
- 76/114 / EEC "Manufacturer plates for motor vehicles and trailers. Their content, location and methods of attachment ";
- 78/507 / EEC "Amendments to Directive 76/114 / EEC" Manufacturer plates for motor vehicles and trailers. Their content, location and methods of attachment. "
4 A person (enterprise, firm) that produces a vehicle ready for use.
5 Currently, these rights are vested in the Association of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
6 Model - a conventional year, usually following the actual year of manufacture of the vehicle.
7 ISO Standard 4030-77 "Vehicle identification number. Location and method of application. "
8 It is formed according to the industry norm OH 025 270-66 "Classification and the system for designating the automobile rolling stock, as well as its units and assemblies manufactured by specialized enterprises."
9 FSUE - Federal State Unitary Enterprise.
10 For such vehicles in accordance with the established procedure, the manufacturer was given a "Vehicle type approval" - a document confirming the compliance of the vehicle with the current standards (for braking properties, handling, passive safety, etc.). The owner of the vehicle is not given away.
11 Forfeiture or destruction of the identification number of a vehicle for its operation or sale is punishable by a fine or restriction of liberty (Article 326 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation).
12 The department is located in the Moscow police department, and its posts - in all districts of Moscow. Handle more conveniently the nearest to the place of residence. In what - you can find out by phone. department 200-93-65 and 200-93-59.
VIN Decoder - decrypts vin car number
VIN Decoder is a program that decrypts the vin number of the car, giving you a car kit, and also checking the correctness of the vin code by the check digit.
The check digit stands at the ninth position of the VIN code and is the result of mathematical conversions with the remaining characters of the VIN number. This is a kind of protection against interrupting VIN code by intruders, since in this case it is necessary to recalculate and interrupt and check digit too.
The system is intended for decoding vin-numbers of cars of the following brands: VAZ, Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMV, Citroen, Daewoo, Ford, Honda, Hundai, Jaguar, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Saab , Skoda, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo .