Military theoretical training
Fighters of volunteer battalions often ask me - what books to read in order to increase the level of their military-theoretical training? Says Yuri Butusov.
Today I will conduct a conversation with employees of two divisions of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, who will soon go to the anti-terrorist operation zone, and I decided to post in advance adequate links in my opinion here so that everyone can read.
I have little time to transfer to them the knowledge of military theory, which has been my passion for almost thirty years.
I can not give them to study many interesting large academic books.
I set myself the task of compiling a small library of a fighter of a volunteer detachment, a police officer, an ATO participant who does not have basic military training, and must receive a very capacious, memorable and useful information extract in a very short time. This is not systematic academic knowledge - it is an expansion of horizons, erudition, an exercise to develop plastic thinking, in a word. Ukrainian soldiers are now in the same position as the Israeli defense army during the war of independence of 1948-49. High motivation, but low combat experience and insufficient equipment. We should not compete with the enemy in the level of fire training. Yesterday's lawyers and programmers will not become John Rambo, even if they released 50 or 150 stores at the training ground. The one who always provides superiority in tactics and thinking always wins. We must realize superiority in intelligence, in motivation, we must outwit the enemy, impose our initiative, act from positions that are advantageous to us - this is the best defense.
I’ll immediately give my selection criteria for literature:
- Small and easy to digest.
- Describing specific combat examples.
- The history of the fighting of partisans, reconnaissance, special forces.
- Sources with a large volume of narrative in the first person, containing the characteristics of the combat psychology of fighters operating in the near and far rear of the enemy, methods of action in a guerrilla warfare.
- Describing the tactics of using small groups.
So here is my shortlist:
- Ilya Starinov. Notes saboteur tyts
- Martin Arostegai. Knights of Twilight.
- A unique blog and a series of essays on the actions of the special forces of Southern Rhodesia and South Africa tyts .
- A series of articles on the work of the Israeli special forces "Duvdevan": tyts and tyts (translations from Hebrew to Ukrainian on the activities of "Duvdevan" would help here).
- A series of articles on the site "I Remember" - the history of veterans of the Great Patriotic War in the sections "Scouts" and "Partisans". I read almost all the stories, there are hundreds of them, but I recommend you at least a couple of my favorites to start with: tyts and tyts .
- For English speakers, I definitely recommend the books of the creator of American "fur seals" Richard Marcinko and, above all, the classic "Rogue Warrior" (he wrote four books, all very interesting). (by the way, I draw the attention of volunteers that a translation into Ukrainian of such a book would be significant - in Russian I did not find a single suitable reference at all, and in Ukrainian many specialists would simply read from the principle).
- Memoirs of the fighter of the Soviet "Pennant" Erkebek Abdullaev "Callsign -" Cobra ". (The author recently passed away ...) tyts .
- Psychological training of special forces. Chris McNeb
- Medical and psychological support of special operations. Oleg Syropyatov tyts
- Psychology of interrogation of prisoners of war. Oleg Syropyatov tyts
I repeat once again for numerous critics and advisers - these are my personal criteria and my personal subjective preferences for our conditions and for our people.
UPDATE 1: Please who can - make a translation of Marsinko into Ukrainian.
UPDATE 2: And can someone make me a website a site something like "Special Forces Library by Yuri Butusov"? Wherever the indicated sources would be uploaded, and stored constantly - because sometimes popular links to special literature are closed. And I will gradually add something else that is minimally necessary there. By design - two columns. Books are added to the left, videos are added to the right, there is a discussion forum with mandatory registration under each material. It was a concrete intellectual help and a convenient reading platform. Who will do it?