Military theoretical training
I am often asked by volunteer battalion fighters - which books to read in order to raise the level of their military-theoretical training? Yury Butusov reports.
Today I will be having a conversation with the staff of two divisions of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, who will soon go to the ATO area, and I decided to put in advance adequate links in my opinion here so that everyone could read.
I have little time to transfer to them the knowledge of military theory, which has been my hobby for almost thirty years.
I can not give them to study many interesting large academic books.
I set myself the task to compile a small library of a fighter of a volunteer detachment, a police officer, an ATO participant who does not have basic military training, and in a very short time should receive the most capacious, memorable and useful squeeze of information. This is not a system of academic knowledge - it is an expansion of horizons, erudition, an exercise in the development of plastic thinking, in one word. Ukrainian warriors are now in the position in which the Israel Defense Forces during the war of independence of 1948-49 were. High motivation, but low combat experience and lack of equipment. We should not compete with the enemy in the level of fire training. Yesterday’s lawyers and programmers will not be johno rambo, even if they have released 50 or 150 stores on the test site. The winner is always the one who provides superiority in tactics and thinking. We must realize superiority in intelligence, in motivation, we must outwit the enemy, impose our own initiative, act from positions advantageous for us - this is the best defense.
Immediately give my criteria for the selection of literature:
- Small and easily digestible works.
- Describing specific combat examples.
- History of hostilities guerrillas, scouts, special forces.
- Sources with a large volume of first-person narrative, containing characteristics of the combat psychology of fighters operating in the near and far rear of the enemy, methods of action in guerrilla warfare.
- Describing the tactics of small groups.
So, here is my shortlist:
- Ilya Starinov. Notes saboteur tyts
- Martin Arostegai. Knights of twilight.
- A unique blog and a series of essays on the actions of special forces of Southern Rhodesia and South Africa tyts .
- A series of articles on the work of the special division of Israel "Duvdevan": tyts and tyts (here the translation from Hebrew into Ukrainian on the activities of "Duvdevan" would help).
- A series of articles on the site "I remember" - the history of World War II veterans under the headings "Scouts" and "Partisans". I have read almost all the stories, there are hundreds of them, but I recommend you at least a couple of my favorites to begin with: tyts and tyts .
- For English speakers, I definitely recommend the books of the creator of the American "sea lions" Richard Marcinko and above all the classic "Rogue Warrior" (he wrote four books, all very interesting). (By the way, I draw the attention of volunteers that the translation into Ukrainian of such a book would be symbolic - I could not find a single valid link in Russian, and in Ukrainian many specialists would simply read it out of principle).
- Memoirs of the fighter of the Soviet "Vympel" Erkebek Abdullayev "Call sign -" Cobra ". (The author has recently died ...) tyts .
- Psychological training units for special purposes. Chris McNeb.
- Medical and psychological support of special operations. Oleg Syropyatov tyts
- Psychology of interrogation of prisoners of war. Oleg Syropyatov tyts
I repeat once again for numerous critics and advisers - these are my personal criteria and my personal subjective preferences for our conditions and for our people.
APDATE 1: Please, who can - make the translation of Marcinco into Ukrainian.
APDATE 2: Can someone make me a website something like "Special Forces Library by Yuri Butusov"? Where these sources would be downloaded, and kept permanently - because sometimes they close popular links to special literature. And I will gradually go there to add something that is still necessary. By design - two columns. Books are added to the left, a video is added to the right, under each material there is a discussion forum with mandatory registration. It was a concrete intellectual help and a convenient reading area. Who will do?