Military theoretical training
I am often asked by soldiers of volunteer battalions - which books to read to improve the level of their military theoretical training? Yury Butusov reports.
Today I will hold a conversation with the staff of the two units of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, which will soon go to the ATU zone, and I decided to put out in advance adequate links in my opinion to read everything.
I do not have enough time to give them knowledge of military theory, which has been my hobby for almost thirty years.
I can not give them to study many interesting great academic books.
I set myself the task of creating a small library of a soldier of a volunteer detachment, a police officer, an ATU participant who does not have basic military training, and should get the most capacious, memorable and useful information in a very short time. This is not systematic academic knowledge - it is an expansion of horizons, erudition, an exercise in the development of the plasticity of thinking, in a word. Ukrainian soldiers are now in the position in which was the army of the defense of Israel during the war for independence of 1948-49. High motivation, but low combat experience and insufficient equipment. We should not compete with the enemy in terms of fire training. Yesterday's lawyers and programmers will not become Rambo Johns, even if they released 50 or 150 stores at the training ground. The winner is always the one who provides superiority in tactics and thinking. We must realize superiority in intellect, in motivation, we must outwit the enemy, impose our initiative, act from positions that are advantageous for us - this is the best defense.
At once I shall result the criteria of selection of the literature:
- Small and easily digestible works.
- Describing specific combat examples.
- The history of military operations of partisans, scouts, special forces.
- Sources with a large volume of first-person narration, containing characteristics of combat psychology of fighters operating in the enemy's near and far rear, techniques of action in guerrilla warfare.
- Describing the tactics of using small groups.
So, here is my shortlist:
- Ilya Starinov. Notes of the saboteur tyts
- Martin Arostegay. The Knights of Twilight.
- A unique blog and a series of essays on the actions of the Special Forces of Southern Rhodesia and South Africa.
- A series of articles on the work of the special division of Israel "Duvdevan": tyts and tyts (here translations from Hebrew to Ukrainian on the activities of "Duvdevan" would help).
- A series of articles on the site "I Remember" - stories of veterans of the Great Patriotic War in the columns "Scouts" and "Partisans". I read almost all the stories, there are hundreds of them, but I recommend at least a couple of my favorites for a start: tyts and tyts .
- For English speakers, I recommend the books by the creator of the American "sea lion" Richard Marcinko and above all the classic "Rogue Warrior" (he wrote four books, all very interesting). (by the way, I draw the attention of volunteers that the translation into Ukrainian of such a book would be a landmark - in Russian I did not find any good references at all, and in Ukrainian many specialists just read the principle).
- Memoirs of the fighter of the Soviet "Pendant" Erkebek Abdullayev "Call sign -" Cobra. "(The author recently passed away ...) tyts .
- Psychological training of special purpose units. Chris McNabe.
- Medico-psychological support of special operations. Oleg Syropyatov
- Psychology of interrogation of prisoners of war. Oleg Syropyatov
Once again I repeat for many critics and advisers - these are my personal criteria and my personal subjective preferences for our conditions and for our people.
APDATE 1: Please, who can do the translation of Marcinko into Ukrainian.
APDATE 2: Can someone make me a website site of something like "Special Forces Library by Yuri Butusov"? Wherever these sources would be uploaded, and kept constantly - because sometimes they close popular references to special literature. And I'll be there gradually something else that is minimally necessary to add. According to the design - two columns. On the left are added books, on the right is added a video, under each material there is a discussion forum with mandatory registration. It was a concrete intellectual aid and a convenient platform for reading. Who will do it?