What should be the right, perfect closet inside?
When buying or ordering furniture everyone knows how difficult it is to choose from a large number of offers. A simple question turns into a problem if furniture is made to order, for example, wardrobes, the most beloved and often used interior item in the house. Responsibility for planning and design, material selection, filling for wardrobes is becoming a global problem.
What should be the correct, albeit imperfect, cabinet inside further in our combined article.
Correct filling of a sliding wardrobe
There are no established standards for cabinet filling.
It all depends on several components:
- size of niche or wall for embedding;
- quantity and type of clothing;
- finances available to the customer.
The simplest layout of the "guts" can be made on the Internet on the websites of some furniture manufacturers. It also indicates, on the basis of the specified cabinet sizes: length, width, height, number of shelves, as well as the accessories used, and then the price for the design being designed taking into account the installation and materials is immediately displayed.
A sliding wardrobe, the internal filling of which with options for placing shelves, drawers, doors, mirrors and other equally important elements can be seen before he even stands in the apartment - this is the so-called “pen test”, designed for a preliminary assessment of the customer’s financial costs , which is a good help when calculating the budget of expenses.
For a small room or hallway, a one-door or two-door wardrobe is suitable. The number of sections in this version is at least two. The division of the cabinet at the design stage into conventional storage areas for long items and shoes, hats, sections for gloves and clothing care products will simplify the manufacture of internal elements and compartments.
As a rule, cabinets with one door on the guide (slider) are small and require an internal orderly placement of clothes and neatness of the owner, since one of the halves of the cabinet section will be constantly open.
The width of the sections for storing outer clothing should be at least 80 cm, for long items (coats, raincoats, coats), height - minimum - 140 cm, maximum - as much as the growth and convenience of hanging the shoulders on the crossbar allows.
Correctly maintained dimensions when planning the internal content of the sliding wardrobe can be seen in the photo below:
The location of the crossbar (rods for hangers) along or across also depends on the preference of the customer and the number of things. It is more practical to position the crossbar across the width of the section, rather than in depth, so significant space will be saved inside the cabinet.
Practical wardrobe inside - features
For two-door and three-door cabinets, the filling options are much larger than for single-door. Such furniture is comfortable in the bedroom and in the dressing room. Storage items can include bedding, seasonal clothing, tablecloths, towels, magazines, and even built-in sections for jewelry and cosmetics.
It is best to use horizontal shelves for storing bedding. They allow you to fold the laundry in one or two stacks in width, depending on the preferences of the hostess. The width of the shelves varies from the standard 40 cm to the maximum possible size in the selected design.
Practical filling of sliding wardrobes. The photo diagram shows several options where not only space is saved, but also a lot more usable space is involved. The arrangement of things in the closet follows a certain sequence:
- Above is the most unnecessary or least used (hats, bags).
- In the middle (at eye level) - the most wearable things that are often used (dresses, shirts, trousers, underwear).
- From below you can store heavy, but oversized items, such as shoes, travel bags, etc.
Another important feature of the wardrobe is its supporting structure, its base. For wide elements, the manufacturer uses additional reinforcing elements. They lead to a slight increase in the cost of structures, but make it more robust and reliable.
Actually, this solution is for a large number of hanging clothes (coats, fur coats, jackets) on long rungs. If the project deviates from the standard compartment width of 120 cm, manufacturers propose to install a perpendicular support in the cabinet inside to secure breaks and deflections of pipes used as crossbars.
What cabinet content to choose?
A variety of cabinets, (photos of filling the corner and direct cabinets are shown below), use the space in different ways and take up space in the house in different ways.
A corner cabinet allows you to occupy a non-standard area in one of the triangular zones of the room. It could be a corner that no other furniture fits into. The beautiful facade of the wardrobe will embellish such an "uncomfortable" space.
A corner cupboard is a mini dressing room; twice as many things are placed on the occupied space than in a direct cupboard.
Finances play a big role in filling the closet. The internal elements are made of a metal frame, in this case the shelves and drawers can be hung up and rearranged differently during the operation of the cabinet, and panel ones, most often from chipboard, where there are no longer any hanging options.
The metal frame is more expensive, and the panels are cheaper. A feature of the metal frame is the continuity of only their own accessories (handles, hooks, holders, pantographs, crossbars, boxes, etc.).
For panel structures, everything is much simpler. The manufacturer’s website usually presents various models of such elements. Almost any accessories are suitable for them, therefore the panel wardrobe and options for filling it with additional elements are much more interesting inside.
Built-in filling elements - a necessity or a luxury?
For the storage of men's belts and ties, special drawer holders or shelves with cells that are mounted on the sidewalls and are very convenient to use are used as the internal filling of the cabinet.
Shoe boxes (nets) are practical, but they should not be located close to the floor (dirt accumulates under them and is uncomfortable to clean it). The width of the mesh can vary from 30 cm (for a pair of shoes) to 100 cm or more.
There are several tricks to make any wardrobe even more practical.
Pantographs are useful interiors of a closet, which are placed in a closet in the subceiling part of the structure. They are designed for high panels and provide easier access to things located in the upper compartments of the cabinet with hinged trousers, blouses, skirts, shirts.
You can divide one of the narrow sections of the designed structure (width from 30 cm, height at least 140 cm) into 2 parts: 100 cm - for hanging things (usually men's shirts take up exactly so much space in length), and use the remaining centimeters as narrow shelves (for shoe boxes, or any little things that can be folded onto shelves).
In any case, it must be remembered that the sliding door wardrobe is designed for more than one year, and options for its “growth” are possible. Therefore, the design of the internal space should take into account the perspective and maximum content, as well as the features of the house or office in which it is operated.
- The number of compartments inside the cabinet should, if possible, be equal to the number of doors. It is convenient to use the product when each compartment door has its own compartment. The exception is wide doors; 2 compartments can be placed behind it.
- Compartments with rods under the shoulders are best done wider than the compartments with shelves. For example, the section for the rods is 90 cm, and the most convenient width for the shelves is 50-60 cm.
- The most convenient opening between the shelves in height for storing linen is 35-40 cm, for books 20-35 cm, depending on their size.
- Under the barbell with shoulders, the optimal opening for short clothes is 80-100 cm, for long 150-160 cm. Ideally, you should measure the length of the clothes and add about 20 cm to it (this is the total height of the shoulders themselves with the distance from the upper shelf to the barbell itself.
- Oversized items are usually placed on the upper shelf - the mezzanine, its opening in height is better to make 45-50 cm.
- The overall depth of the closet with longitudinal bars is best done not 60 cm, as is customary, but a minimum of 65 cm. Due to the door mechanism, all internal filling is recessed by 10 cm. Accordingly, the internal depth of the closet 50 cm for clothes with shoulders is a bit small.
- To store underwear, I advise you to provide drawers.
- Always plan drawers and accessories so that they do not fall on the frames of the compartment doors or on the hinges of swing doors. They will not come forward. The compartment door is a dead zone, which is always closed during any rearrangement of doors, with the exception of four-door compartment cabinets, where you can open half of the opening.
- In hinged cabinets, the door on the hinge side closes the opening by 1-2 cm and the sliding mechanisms may also not extend.
- If you plan to handle the box, then the box must be additionally drown deep into the opening so that the protruding handle does not interfere with the operation of the doors. Or, on the front panel of the box, provide recesses for the fingers, grasping which, you could extend the box.
- The optimal height of the front panel of the drawer is -20-25 cm, while remembering that the box box in height is often less than the front by 3-5 cm, depending on the type of guide.
- The guides for boxes are better to use ball bearings of full extension, they are better, more durable. And it is very convenient when the inner content of the drawer is fully extended, and not half, as with conventional roller guides.
- If shelves with a width of more than 80-90 cm are planned, it is necessary to provide a partition under it, otherwise it will bend under the weight of things. If clothes rods with a length of more than 100-120 cm are planned, I advise you to provide the same vertical bar that rests on the floor with its lower end, and in the shelf above the horizontal bar with the upper end and these 2 rods are connected to each other by special fasteners.
- If you plan to put any accessory (scrubs, ties, shoes, baskets) always check their size ranges and mounting openings, otherwise they may not fit into the planned compartment in depth or width.
- Backlighting inside the cabinet is not recommended, as it will illuminate only the top shelf. It is better to provide for this an external visor of the roof, where halogen lamps are mounted.
- If a large mezzanine is planned in the sliding wardrobe, I do not advise you to make separate sliding doors for it. Firstly, this is a significant increase in price due to additional compartment doors, and secondly, sliding wardrobes look much more beautiful if the doors are full-height. Do the mezzanine shelf behind the common door.
- Never make empty apertures with booms in the extreme compartments of a freestanding sliding wardrobe, otherwise the left or right side panel may simply fall off over time from knocking the door. Always provide shelves, they connect the extreme side panel of the cabinet with the entire structure.
In fact, there are a lot of pitfalls in the design of furniture. Better entrust this work to specialists.