Cyberpolicy published tips on how to protect yourself from fraud when using ATMs
The ATM (from the ATM, sometimes ATM from the English Automated teller machine) is a software and hardware complex designed for automated issuance and / or reception of cash funds, either with or without payment cards, as well as performing other operations, including the number of payments for goods and services, the preparation of documents confirming the relevant operations.
Ukrainian cyberpolicy told about the tricks that thieves use to steal money from your credit cards while using ATMs. In addition, she published recommendations on how to protect themselves from skimming and trapping .
Scammers step in step with the times, constantly improve their technology: to steal money from the card they do not need to install various devices on ATMs or POS-terminals - just "infect" them with malicious software that will record technical information and PIN-codes of cards , passing through the devices. However, in Ukraine the technology is very slow, and in most cases, cardholders are robbed "in the old fashion" - skimming or trapping , since we do not have a normal culture of use.
"Cash Trapping" ( in the literal translation means "capture cash". Scammers use conventional aluminum handicraft slats, mostly made of furniture fittings. The metal bar looks like an ATM shutter, on the back side it is pasted by criminals with a double-sided adhesive tape and fixed on the cash outlet.
Inattentive people take cash out of the ATM without paying attention to its appearance. After that they think that the ATM has broken down and go to the bank branch or to another ATM.
At this time, scammers who waited nearby, remove the installed panel and take the money of their victim, stuck to its inner side.
In order not to become a victim of a primitive but successful type of card fraud with ATMs, you need:
- when withdrawing funds from the ATM, pay attention to its appearance, the presence of foreign or foreign objects (lining);
- if the ATM gives out information that the operation was successful, but does not give out money, do not leave the ATM so that the criminals do not take your money;
- carefully check if the metal overlay is installed on the tent, and in case of absence, call the call center of the bank and talk about the problem and your suspicions;
- If you find a metal lining, call the police immediately.
Skimming (from English Skimming) - theft of card data using a special device - a "skimmer". So scammers copy information from the magnetic strip of the card, while stealing the PIN-code using a mini-camera or overlays on the keyboard.
Recommendations of cyberpolicy:
- When withdrawing cash through an ATM, carefully inspect it (a hole, a card reader, a keyboard) - there should not be any foreign devices on it.
- When typing the PIN code, cover the keyboard with your free hand.
- If someone is standing next to the ATM and trying to spy on the PIN code, stop the operation and contact the bank branch or law enforcement authorities to check the ATM.
- Use ATM machines located in bank branches or in crowded, lit areas.
- If the ATM does not issue a card, immediately call the bank and block it, and then - re-issue.
- Be sure to connect SMS-banking in order to track the performed operations.
- Set the daily limit for the card account.
- If you receive an SMS message about card transactions that you did not make, call the call center of the bank and block the card. Also, contact the territorial department of the department of cyberpolicy of the National Police of Ukraine.