Boil the porridge right! A useful reminder of how long the cereals are cooked.
Porridge is a dish consisting of grains boiled in water (or in milk), sometimes with such additives as salt, sugar, seasonings, milk, fruits and dried fruits, jam.
Porridge is very common in Ukrainian cuisine; in many countries, traditional breakfast food. Traditionally, porridge is cooked in clay or cast-iron pots in a Russian stove, now also in saucepans on stoves or in special dishes in microwave ovens. In Russia, porridge has always been the most frequent hot meal in the army, especially in field conditions. Hence the often used name of the profession of the army chef - "cook". The soldiers themselves give some porridge slang nicknames, for example, barley porridge in the army called shrapnel or bolts for a distinctive appearance. Also, barley porridge in the army is called kirzuha, drug addict porridge (from the distorted name of cereals - perl). Also porridge is an integral element of baby food. Porridge can be seasoned with milk, olives, cheese, low-fat cheese, butter, raisins, dried apricots, dried fruits and other useful and tasty supplements.
To make porridge perfect, it is important to properly observe the time of cooking cereals! From the time of cooking depends on the consistency of porridge, it does not burn and will not run away, if everything is done correctly. It is necessary to remind about such elementary things to everyone and even experienced housewives, because we rarely cook some cereals, therefore we did not get the hand to determine readiness intuitively. This memo on cereals will help to cook such porridge, which will be tasty in itself, without additional products, sauces and additives!
How to cook the most common cereals
- Rice cooks 15-20 minutes. Water should be taken 2 times more than rice. Boil the rice in a small container over low heat. It is also very important to soak the rice properly for an excellent result.
- Millet boils 25–35 minutes. Millet before cooking is better to rinse in warm water and cook over low heat.
- Buckwheat is boiled for 20-25 minutes. For one glass of buckwheat you need to take 2.5 glasses of water. Boil buckwheat need on low heat, not stirring.
- Barley prepares 40 minutes - 1.5 hours. Barley bar should be cooked in a large container with plenty of water. Before cooking, the cereal must be soaked for at least 5 hours in hot water.
- Semolina is boiled for 15 minutes. A couple of minutes it takes to boil water or milk. The proportions with which porridge turns delicious - 2 tbsp. l cereals for 200 ml of liquid.
- Oatmeal is poured on with boiling water for 4 hours, then boiled for 30 minutes over low heat. Uncrushed oatmeal is cooked for 2 hours.
- Oatmeal is cooked for 3 to 5 minutes on low heat.
- Bulgur cooks for 15–20 minutes under a lid on low heat.
- Barley grill is cooked for 20 minutes, be sure to throw it in boiling water.
- Green and red lentils boil for 30–35 minutes. Brown lentils are ready in 20 minutes.
- Corn grits cooked for 30 minutes. It is better to cook it in salted and sweetened water.
- Polenta - cornmeal porridge, an analogue of hominy - cooked for 35–40 minutes with constant stirring.
This is not all types of common cereals, but we cook them most often. To make porridge tasty, it is very important to let it stand for about 15 minutes after cooking in a warm place, for example, in an oven. This applies to all cereals with a boil time greater than 15 minutes.
Show this memo about how much cereal is prepared, to your friends, without cereal - nowhere!