horseradish ordinary - armoracia rusticana
Cabbage family (Brassicaceae).
Botanical characteristic. Perennial herb with a thick fleshy root. The stem is erect, 60 - 120 cm tall, branched above, hollow, furrowed. Basal leaves are large, oblong-oval, dentate. The lower stem leaves are pinnately divided, the middle ones are oblong-lanceolate, the upper ones are linear, almost linear, whole-root. The flowers are bisexual, regular, in multi-flowered tassels, the petals are white. It blooms in May - June. The fruit is an elongated swollen pod.
Spread. In the wild, horseradish is found everywhere in European territory, in the Caucasus, in Siberia.
Chemical composition. Horseradish roots contain B vitamins, PP, ascorbic acid, carbohydrates (sucrose, pentosan, galactose, arbinose, xylose), polysaccharides, galacturonic acid, glycosides, saponins, mustard oil, mineral salts of nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper as well as phosphorus, sulfur, chlorine. Horseradish leaves are rich in B, C, PP vitamins, as well as mineral salts.
Used parts of the plant. For medicinal purposes, fresh horseradish roots and leaves are harvested. The roots are dug up in the fall and stored in the wet sand in the cellar.
The use of horseradish in medicine
The plant has a high amount of phytoncides, also a bactericidal substance lysozyme, which makes horseradish an indispensable anti-inflammatory agent.
In folk medicine, horseradish is used to increase the immunological properties of the body, used to treat hypovitaminosis, scurvy, to improve digestion, stimulate appetite. It is known as an expectorant and diuretic. Juice diluted with water (1: 1), rinse the mouth with stomatitis, periodontal disease, gingivitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis.
Grated horseradish is used as mustard plasters on muscles and joints. Compresses are applied from fresh leaves for radiculitis, sciatica, and neuralgia.
Horseradish increases activity in case of overwork, physical exhaustion, anemia, headache, high blood pressure.
Horseradish mixed with kefir is useful for diabetes and cancer. Grated horseradish with honey in folk medicine is used for tuberculosis, bronchitis, asthma, hepatitis, Botkin’s disease.
Fresh horseradish juice treats nesting baldness, from it make compresses on pustular skin lesions, on age spots, masks on aging skin.
- Infusion of ordinary horseradish roots: A dessert spoon of crushed roots is poured with 1 cup boiling water and insisted for 1 hour, filtered. Take 2 tbsp. l 3 times a day with a decrease in appetite, sluggish digestion, anemia.
- Horseradish juice with kefir: 1 tbsp. l juice mixed with a glass of kefir. Drink 1 glass of the mixture 3 times a day for 20 minutes before meals with diabetes, cancer, loss of strength.
- Grated horseradish with honey: Horseradish roots are washed, peeled, rubbed and mixed with honey in equal amounts. Take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day before meals with bronchitis, asthma, tuberculosis, hepatitis.
- Tincture of horseradish ordinary on beer: 3 tsp. freshly grated horseradish is put in 0.5 l of beer. Close and insist a week. Take 1 tsp. 3 times a day before meals for a month with a decrease in appetite.
- Natural horseradish juice is natural: Horseradish roots are washed, peeled and rubbed. Squeeze the juice. They drink 1 tsp., Diluting in 0.5 cups of water, 3 times a day for kidney stones, gout, rheumatism, and flu.