horseradish - armoracia rusticana
Cabbage family (Brassicaceae).
Botanical characteristics. Perennial herb with thick fleshy root. Stem erect, 60-120 cm tall, branched at the top, hollow, grooved. Basal leaves are large, oblong-oval, toothed. Lower stem leaves pinnate, median - oblong-lanceolate, upper - linear, almost linear, whole-edged. Flowers are bisexual, regular, in many-flowered racemes, petals are white. It blooms in May - June. The fruit is an elongated swollen pod.
Spread. In the wild horseradish is found everywhere in European territory, in the Caucasus, in Siberia.
Chemical composition. Horseradish roots contain vitamins B, PP, ascorbic acid, carbohydrates (sucrose, pentosan, galactose, arbinoza, xylose), polysaccharides, galacturonic acid, glycosides, saponins, mustard oil, mineral salts of nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper , as well as phosphorus, sulfur, chlorine. Horseradish leaves are rich in vitamins B, C, PP, as well as mineral salts.
Used plant parts. For medicinal purposes, harvest fresh horseradish roots, leaves. The roots are dug in the fall and stored in wet sand in the cellar.
The use of horseradish in medicine
The plant has a high amount of phytoncides, also a bactericidal substance lysozyme, which makes horseradish an indispensable anti-inflammatory agent.
In folk medicine, horseradish is used to improve the immunological properties of the body, used to treat hypovitaminosis, scurvy, to improve the digestive processes, stimulate the appetite. It is known as an expectorant and diuretic. Juice diluted with water (1: 1), rinse the mouth with stomatitis, periodontal disease, gingivitis, sore throat, laryngitis.
Grated horseradish is used as mustard plasters on muscles and joints. From fresh leaves impose compresses with radiculitis, sciatica, neuralgia.
Horseradish increases activity with fatigue, physical exhaustion, anemia, headache, high blood pressure.
Horseradish, mixed with kefir , is useful for diabetes, cancer. Grated horseradish with honey in traditional medicine is used for tuberculosis, bronchitis, bronchial asthma, hepatitis, Botkin's disease.
Fresh juice of horseradish treats nesting baldness, they make compresses on pustular skin lesions, pigment spots, masks on fading skin.
- Infusion of horseradish roots of ordinary: Dessert spoonful of chopped roots is poured with 1 cup of boiling water and infused for 1 h, filtered. Take 2 tbsp. l 3 times a day with reduced appetite, sluggish digestion, anemia.
- Horseradish juice with kefir: 1 tbsp. l juice mixed with a glass of kefir. Drink 1 glass of the mixture 3 times a day for 20 minutes before a meal with diabetes, cancer, loss of strength.
- Grated horseradish with honey: Roots of horseradish are washed, peeled, grated and mixed with honey in equal amounts. Take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day before meals for bronchitis, asthma, tuberculosis, hepatitis.
- Tincture of horseradish ordinary beer: 3 tsp. Freshly grated horseradish put in 0.5 liters of beer. Close and insist week. Take on 1 tsp. 3 times a day before meals for a month with a decrease in appetite.
- Natural horseradish juice: horseradish roots are washed, peeled and grated. Squeeze the juice. Drink 1 tsp., Diluting in 0.5 cups of water, 3 times a day for kidney stones, gout, rheumatism, flu.