Sea Buckthorn - hippophae rhamnoides
Family Suckers (Elaeagnaceae).
Botanical characteristics. The bush or small tree is 4–15 m high. The branches are prickly, the bark of the branches and the trunk are dark gray, wrinkled. The leaves are alternate, narrow, linear or linear-lanceolate, almost sessile, dark green above, silvery below. The plant is dioecious, the flowers are opposite-sex. Fruiting plant with female flowers, therefore, for effective fruiting between female trees should be planted at least one or two men for pollination. Flowers appear simultaneously with the growth of leaves. The fruits are golden yellow or orange, edible, fleshy pitted, sitting on very short stalks. When there are a lot of berries, the impression is created that the fruits clung to the branches, which, apparently, was the basis for the name of the plant. It blooms in April - May, and the fruits ripen in September - October.
Spread. In Russia it almost never occurs in the wild, but it is widely cultivated in amateur gardening, and industrial cultivation begins.
Chemical composition. The leaves of the plant contain coumarin, triterpenic acids (ursolic, oleanic), vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, PP, inositol, folic acid, flavonoid compounds, serotonin. A significant amount of serotonin and in the bark of sea buckthorn. It is serotonin that determines the anti-radiation efficacy of the plant.
Fruit pulp in its composition has a fatty oil, the components of which are the catechins and flavonols, carotenoids, tocopherols, beta-sitosterol, filohinon, phospholipids, ascorbic acid and nicotinic acid, folic acid, serotonin, coumarins, organic acids (malic, tartaric, oxalic, succinic ).
All parts of the plant are rich in phytoncides, tannins.
Used plant parts. Fruits, seeds, leaves, young branches, and plant bark are used for medicinal purposes. The bark is harvested in spring, berries and seeds - during ripening. Leaves and branches are harvested in summer, as well as during the harvest of berries. From the seeds receive therapeutic sea buckthorn oil.
Application. Sea buckthorn has a general regulating effect on metabolic processes, as well as a tonic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, hypoglycemic, anti-radiation, vasodilator, wound healing. Sea buckthorn oil treats radiation injuries of the skin, burns, eczema, trophic ulcers, herpes, skin tuberculosis, diabetic ulcers and gangrene, and inflammatory diseases of the female genital sphere.
Juices, tinctures and decoctions of fruits are used for colds , diabetes, radiation injuries, as a tonic and metabolic regulating agent. In folk medicine, sea buckthorn is an active antitumor agent.
Fresh fruits are used in medical and dietary nutrition for anemia, diabetes, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, hypo-and avitaminosis, gastric ulcer, diseases of the liver and kidneys, after serious infectious diseases.
Broth bark of sea buckthorn and young branches with leaves is known as an antitumor and anti-radiation agent. In addition, from the decoction of leaves prepare baths and make poultices for pain in the joints (gout, rheumatism).
Infusion of leaves is drunk as tea for diarrhea, atherosclerosis, hypertension and symptomatic hypertension.
Decoction of sea buckthorn seeds acts laxatively, wound-healing, stimulates and strengthens hair growth.
Sea buckthorn oil activates the recovery of liver cells in chronic alcoholism, diseases associated with chronic toxic effects on the liver.
- A decoction of sea buckthorn leaves prunus : 1 tbsp. l dry crushed leaves pour 1 glass of water and boil for 3 minutes. Insist 1 hour, filter and take 0.5 cups at night for diabetes, anemia, gastric ulcer, radiation damage.
- Infusion of sea buckthorn leaves krushinovidnoy : 1 tbsp. l dry crushed leaves are poured with 1 cup of boiling water and infused for 2 hours. Strain and take a quarter cup 3-4 times a day before meals with post-radiation syndrome, diabetes, peptic ulcer, anemia.
- Broth of sea buckthorn fruits krushinovidnoy : 1 tbsp. l dry fruits pour 1 glass of water and boil for 3 minutes. Insist 1 hour, filter and drink 1 glass 3 times a day before meals for peptic ulcer, liver disease, colds, diabetes mellitus with vascular complications, atherosclerosis, hypertension.
- Broth bark sea buckthorn rushinovidnoy : The bark of young branches harvested in late spring and dried, and then crushed. 1 tbsp. l the powder is poured over 2 cups boiling water and boiled for 10 minutes. Insist 30 minutes, filter and drink a quarter of a glass 3-4 times a day for tumors, after radiation injury.
- A decoction of sea buckthorn buckwheat seeds : 1 tbsp. l raw materials pour boiling water (glass and a half) and boil for 5 minutes. Insist 1 hour, filter and take a glass at night for constipation.
- Tincture of sea buckthorn berries : Fresh berries pour alcohol (70 °) in the ratio of 1:10 and insist 2 weeks in a dark place. Squeeze the tincture and take 20 drops 3 times a day after meals as a tonic, hypoglycemic, anti-radiation agent.
- Sea buckthorn seed oil : Mature fruit squeeze. The marc is dried at a temperature not higher than 60 ° C, crushed, poured in a glass or enamel bowl with olive, sunflower or corn oil heated to 40 - 50 ° C and left for 7 days at room temperature in a dark place, shaking and stirring occasionally. The pooled bottom layer is drained and stored in a cool, dark place, applied according to indications both externally and inward.