ginger - zingiber
Ginger (Zingiber) is a genus of perennial herbaceous plants from the Ginger family (Zingiberaceae). It is assumed that the Latin name "Zingiber" is translated from Sanskrit as "horned root".
Homeland ginger is Western India and Southeast Asia. In nature, in the wild does not grow. It is cultivated in subtropical and tropical regions of Japan, China, West Africa, Vietnam, Brazil, India, Argentina, Jamaica. And also grown as a garden plant, or in indoor conditions - in ordinary pots or boxes.
Ginger has upright, reed-like, rounded stems, reaching a height of up to 1 - 1.5 m. Scaly flower stems. Leaves lanceolate, entire, alternate, with a pointed tip. The flowers are orange-yellow or brown, collected in the form of spike inflorescences. Fruit - tricuspid box. Rhizomes have the appearance of fleshy round-shaped palmateruped pieces and form a fibrous root system.
Ginger grows in a warm and humid climate, as a rule, at an altitude of up to 1500 m above sea level and is able to grow under a variety of agroclimatic conditions. The best soil for growing is loose loam, which contains a large amount of humus.
Ginger breeds rhizomes , for this, the roots are divided into small pieces with "eyes" (2.5 - 5 cm). Planted from March to April. Dig, depending on climatic conditions, after 6-10 months, when the leaves begin to turn yellow and fall off.
There are two forms of roots - white ginger and black . Black ginger is simply scalded with boiling water, while not peeling the roots, and to get white ginger, the roots are cleaned with a brush and rubbed with 2% sulfuric acid or bleach for 6 hours after peeling the rhizome. It happens that the scrubbed roots are rubbed with chalk after washing and drying. Black ginger ("Barbados") has a stronger smell and burning taste in comparison with white ("Bengali") ginger, since during processing a certain part of fragrant substances is lost. Both species are dried in the sun. The break of ginger is light yellow in color, regardless of the species. Young rhizomes are almost white; but over time, the older the root becomes, the more it turns yellow when it breaks. The taste of ginger is sweet and spicy. The dried root can be up to 12 cm in length, and 2 cm in thickness. The yield of the finished, dry product is 15-25% of the fresh weight.
Ginger contains many useful substances, the main ones are: asparagine, aluminum, calcium, caprylic acid, chromium, choline, fats, fiber, iron, germanium, linoleic acid, manganese, magnesium, oleic acid, nicotinic acid, phosphorus, silicon, potassium , sodium, vitamin C.
100 g of chopped ginger root contains:
Mineral substances (mg):
Proteins - 9.2
Mg (magnesium) - 184
C (ascorbic acid) - 12
Fat - 5.9
F (phosphorus) - 148
B1 (thiamine hydrochloride) - 0.046
Carbohydrates - 70.9
Ca (calcium) - 116
B2 (riboflavin mononucleotide) - 0.19
Cellulose - 5,9
Na (sodium) - 32
B3 (niacin, nicotinic acid) - 5.2
Fe (iron) - 11.52
A (retinol acetate) - 0.015
Zn (zinc) - 4.73
K (potassium) - 1.34
The special tart and spicy aroma of ginger root is felt because of its content of 1-3% of essential oil , which is concentrated mainly in the rhizome. Its main components: zingiberen (zingiberen) - up to 70%, starch - 4%, gingerol - 1.5%, camphene, linalool, gingerin, phellandrene, bisabolen, borneol, citral, tsineol, sugar and fat.
Phenolic-like substance gingerol gives a burning taste to the ginger root. Ginger also contains all the essential amino acids, including threonine, tryptophan, leisin, phenylanine, methionine, valine and others.
As a spice in cooking, as well as a remedy in traditional medicine use ginger root .
On sale you can find many types of ginger root: in the form of a hammer or in the form of pieces of rhizomes, poured with chocolate or candied, in the form of an extract for ginger beer. Ginger goes well with other spices and is part of the mixture of "curry". It is added to the highest grades of light beer. Usually ginger is found in the form of a hammer. Ground ginger root looks like a grayish yellow powdery powder. Keep it in a sealed package.
Used in medicine: purified dry root in the form of a powder (250-500 mg), decoction or infusion, tincture of dried root is used in homeopathy.
Ginger has a unique combination of taste and medicinal properties, such combinations are not found in any other spice. Sometimes even generally recognized medicinal plants are inferior to him in their beneficial properties. As a therapeutic agent, ginger has a large list of useful properties:
- It has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, resolving, antispasmodic, carminative, stimulant, healing, diaphoretic, tonic, bactericidal, choleretic, antibacterial action.
- It has a strong antioxidant and sedative effect , strengthens the immune system , well protects against parasites, inhibits the growth of bacteria, is used for helminth diseases .
- Food with ginger becomes easier, it is better absorbed and takes a slightly pungent, spicy taste.
- It nourishes the entire body, has a beneficial effect on the digestive system . The systematic consumption of ginger in food, in small quantities, increases the internal heat, increases the appetite, stimulates digestion and the formation of gastric juice, improves the secretion of the stomach, is effective in indigestion, belching, peptic ulcer.
- Effective with colds : cold, flu, cough, congestion in the lungs, sinusitis, also helps with sore throat, has an expectorant effect, and brewed shredded roots warm the body well.
- Ginger is an excellent remedy for a variety of allergic and skin diseases , as well as for bronchial asthma .
- It is effective in various kinds of abdominal pain , intestinal, renal, biliary colic.
- It is used in flatulence , to stop diarrhea and to neutralize the harmful effects of animal poisons , it is also used in mushroom poisoning .
- Reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood.
- It has a mild laxative .
- Reduces pain caused by joint disease , is used for rheumatism, arthrosis and arthritis, edema, sprains, muscle pain.
- The peel of ginger root has a diuretic effect and stimulates the formation of saliva.
- Allows you to relieve cramps during menstruation.
- It is an excellent remedy for mental or physical fatigue that will help you overcome stressful situations and rejuvenate.
- It is also used for paralysis and jaundice .
- Stimulates the thyroid gland .
- It improves cerebral circulation , it strengthens the blood vessels and improves learning and memory, lowers blood pressure , helps in the treatment of atherosclerosis .
- Ginger is very effective in combating the aging of the body, in addition, it helps to increase potency , helps in the treatment of infertility, increases the tone of the uterus and sexual arousal .
- This is the best remedy for slags and toxins , poorly digested food waste, which are deposited in the cells of the body and poison the entire body, which ultimately leads to various diseases.
- The use of ginger for weight loss is very popular, as it tends to speed up the metabolism.
- Effective against "marine" disease (it relieves not only nausea, but also dizziness, weakness), is also used to relieve signs of toxicosis during pregnancy .
- It is useful to apply for the prevention of cancer and the formation of malignant tumors .
- If you eat fresh ginger root after a meal, it will make your breath fresh for a long time and will relieve you of many problems in the mouth .
- Ginger is used to alleviate the beneficial properties of other herbs in the collection.
- Ginger oil is used in cosmetology and aromatherapy .
We offer you several popular recipes using ginger for the treatment of various diseases and ailments:
- Ginger in broth with flowers of black elderberry, peppermint and yarrow is used to relieve severe pain in the abdomen .
- A small piece of ginger will protect the mouth and throat . To do this, clean the skin, cut a small slice, put in your mouth and suck, feeling a tingling sensation. When the effect of essential oils and medicinal substances decreases, it will be possible to bite a slice.
- Ginger powder mixed with water (paste is obtained) or grated ginger, is applied as a compress to the site of pain. It relieves almost any pain , ginger is used for headache, back pain and chronic rheumatism.
- If you eat a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger root with lemon juice before eating, adding a bit of salt, your body can easily digest food and in addition get rid of toxins .
- With a toothache, a chewed piece of ginger, which must be applied to a bad tooth, will help to reduce pain well. It will destroy harmful microbes, and besides, it will leave a very pleasant smell.
- Ginger bath helps with muscular fatigue and aches . To do this, add 2 - 3 tablespoons of ginger powder to a liter of water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, then pour the broth into the bath. Ginger bath relaxes and relieves muscle pain.
- Compress the back well and quickly relieves pain. To make a compress you need to take 2 teaspoons of ginger powder, 0.5 teaspoon of chili pepper, a teaspoon of turmeric and mix this mixture with warm water. Heat up, put on cotton fabric, put it on the sore point and fix. Such a composition can be applied and from joint pains only need to be mixed not with water, but with well heated vegetable oil (preferably mustard or sesame).
- From sea sickness and from motion sickness in transport it is very helpful to take 1 - 1.5 g of ginger (0.5 tsp) with tea or mineral water 30 minutes before or during the journey. Pregnant women weak ginger tea successfully help get rid of nausea .
- To draw the contents of the boil , mix half a teaspoon of turmeric and ginger with water to make a paste, and then apply the paste to the boil.
- When gastric upset you need to mix half a glass of white natural yogurt with half a glass of water, add a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg powder and ginger to the mixture.
- Hemorrhoids can be cured with aloe and ginger. It is necessary to take a teaspoon of aloe juice with a small pinch of ginger powder 2 times a day until all symptoms disappear.
- stomach ulcer;
- duodenal ulcer;
- high fever;
- esophageal reflux;
- gastrointestinal disease;
- nonspecific ulcerative colitis.
In case of overdose of ginger, negative results or side effects are possible in the form of: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions. Reception should be stopped, treatment - symptomatic.
- Ginger is able to increase the power of antidiabetic drugs.
- Able to increase the strength of anticoagulants (prostacyclin agonist).
- May increase exposure to heart medications.
- Reduces the effect of drugs that block beta-adrenoreceptors.
- Counteracts or interacts with antiarrhythmic drugs, increases the risk of hypokalemia;
- Increases the risk of arrhythmia, interacting with depolarizing muscle relaxants;
- May reduce the effect of antihypertensive drugs and, when combined with sympathomimetics, increases the likelihood of hypertension.
- Counteracts nitrates and calcium channel blocking agents.
Ginger has a pleasant aroma and special taste and is a valuable product in cooking . It fills with delicate soups, especially vegetable, fruit, broth from poultry. It is used in the preparation of certain types of cereals. They are seasoned with homemade sausages, pates, seafood, cheeses, often used in the preparation of sushi. Ginger improves the taste of stewed or roast beef, lamb, veal, chicken, pork, turkey, duck, stuffed vegetables (zucchini, pepper, cucumber, eggplant, tomato, etc.), vegetable stew, and mushroom dishes. It is used in the preparation of compotes (especially pumpkin and pear) and the preparation of other beverages, added to the elite varieties of tea , used in canning pumpkins, melons, cucumbers, put in various marinades and sauces. Candied ginger root is used to make jams, sweets, candied fruits, marmalade. It is also used for baking ginger bread, gingerbread, buns, cookies, muffins, biscuits, gingerbread. In the alcohol industry, ginger is used in the production of ginger ale, punches and bitter liqueurs.
Norms bookmark ginger in dishes
- in fish and meat dishes per serving - 0.2 - 0.5 g, 20 minutes before the end of cooking;
- in mousses, compotes and other sweet dishes - 0.3 g per serving 2 - 5 minutes before the end of cooking;
- in the dough - 1 g per 1 kg, put while kneading the dough;
- in sauces - after the end of heat treatment.
For cooking you will need:
- 0.5 kg of fresh ginger root;
- 200ml rice vinegar;
- 4 tbsp. l dry rose wine;
- 4 tbsp. l Sahara;
- 2 tbsp. l vodka.
Ginger root should be washed, dried and peeled. Cut into smaller pieces and put in boiling water. Cook for a minute, then dry the boiled ginger and cut into thin slices. Mix together wine, vodka and sugar. Boil the mixture, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved. Add vinegar and wait until boiling. Then put in a jar slices of ginger root, pour the marinade and close the lid. Wait until the pot cools down, and then refrigerate for 3 days. Marinated ginger can be stored for 3 months in the refrigerator. After a few hours already pickled ginger becomes a beautiful pink color.
Marinated ginger is usually used as a spice for sushi or other Japanese dishes.
Increase your appetite, give a good mood, give fresh color to your face and clear your eyes with ginger tea , it is useful for everyone. Ginger tea improves digestion, eliminates toxins accumulated in our stomach and helps to digest food better. It should be drunk in small sips in between meals.
Here are some recipes for making ginger tea.
Ginger tea with lemon
Peel a piece of ginger root and grate on a coarse grater to make about two or a little more tablespoons of grated ginger root. Put in a liter container. Add 50 ml (a quarter cup) of fresh lemon juice and honey to taste. Pour boiling water. Wait about an hour and then you can start trying.
In tea, you will experience three different flavors - sweet, spicy and sour. This tea is good to invigorate and accelerate all processes in the body, especially if before that they proceeded very slowly. It is because of this property, such a recipe is very often used for slimming .
But do not get carried away! At first, even from half a glass of such an hour you may have a fever. It is believed that during the day it is recommended to drink no more than two liters of tea .
Fragrant Elixir with Green Tea
Brew green tea by adding a pinch of dry ginger to the brewer . In only half an hour you will have an unusually fragrant elixir instead of the usual tea. This drink has an antioxidant effect, as well as help soothe a cough. One cup a day and your skin will look healthier.
Ginger tea with green
Brew 1 teaspoon of plain green tea (insist 5 minutes). Strain. Take a piece of ginger root (3-4 cm), cut into small pieces, add a pinch of cinnamon , a couple of cardamom pods and a stick of cloves . Pour tea into a stainless steel pot and bring to a boil, continuing to boil for 20 minutes. Then add honey (3 teaspoons) and half a lemon (squeeze the juice out of it and throw directly with the skin). Then cook another 5 minutes. Now you need to let the tea stand for about 20 minutes. Then strain into a convenient kettle and pour into cups.
This tea can be drunk both hot and cold.
Ginger tea for cold and depression
Brew ordinary leafy green tea without additives. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Cut a small piece (3-4 cm) of ginger and pour the finished tea in a thermos. Add some honey and red hot pepper or chili .
Colds and other colds are well treated with ginger tea with honey and lemon , and with a wet cough, we recommend adding cloves or cinnamon to tea.
Ginger tea with mint
10-20 g of ginger, cut into thin strips, cover with a glass of clean water, over a low heat bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Add a little lemon balm, mint or other herbs, as well as lemon and honey to taste and you will make an excellent drink that gives tone and vigor in the morning is much better than coffee. Also, this tea is effective for weight loss .
Ginger tea with currants
Very good tea with currant leaves, black tea and ginger . To get a richer taste, tea is brewed in a thermos.
To prepare you need the following ingredients:
- 1.2 liters of water;
- 3 tbsp. l grated ginger;
- 5 tbsp. l honey;
- 4 tbsp. l orange or lemon juice;
- 2 tbsp. l fresh mint.
Preparation: Boil water, add ginger, honey and mix. Strain through a sieve, try to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the ginger root. Add a pinch of black pepper and juice . At the end you can add a little fresh mint . This drink is consumed hot.
Squeeze the juice of two lemons and add boiling water to 300 ml. Dissolve a couple of teaspoons of honey and add thinly sliced ginger root . Pour the mixture into 2 glasses, add 2 tablespoons of whiskey to each and serve hot.
Tibetan ginger tea for sore throat, acute respiratory infections, colds.
For 1 liter of tea you will need:
- 0.5 l. milk, fat content of 1.5% - 2.5%;
- 0.5 l. water;
- 10 - 11 pcs. carnations;
- 9 - 11 pcs. cardamom (need to crush the grain), grind together with cloves;
- 0.5 tsp. dry ginger or 1 tbsp. l fresh ginger;
- 0.5 tsp. ground nutmeg;
- 2 tsp. green tea;
- 1 tsp Darjeeling tea (specialty black tea).
Preparation: Pour water into an enamel saucepan and set on fire. Consistently add: cloves, cardamom, dry ginger and green tea . Bring to a boil and simmer for a minute. Add milk . Then add Darjeeling tea and finely chopped fresh ginger (if not used previously dry). At the time of boiling add nutmeg . Then let it boil a little. Remove from heat. Let steep for 5 minutes. Strain into a ceramic dish. Drink in the morning on an empty stomach, without sugar and seasonings.
Ginger can be used for weight loss with the help of healthy and tasty invigorating drinks, teas and various other dishes. Let's tell about it in more detail.
The substances contained in the ginger root, improve blood circulation and warm from the inside. They seem to "disperse" all internal processes. Respectively, the metabolism increases , and it promotes acceleration of dropping of excess weight.
Ginger tea for weight loss
- Very famous is ginger tea with garlic . With the help of this tea you can quickly lose weight, getting rid of extra pounds. To make tea in a two-liter thermos you need: a ginger root about the size of a plum (about 4 cm) and 2 cloves of garlic . Peel the ginger and cut into thin slices. Put in a thermos and pour boiling water over it, leave to infuse. Then you need to remove the garlic and ginger, strain and drink during the day.
- In general, we recommend adding ginger for weight loss not only to tea, but also to any herbal decoctions - strawberries, mint, lemon balm .
- Orange tea with ginger root for weight loss . Blender mix half a spoonful of finely chopped ginger root , 60 g of peppermint leaves and a pinch of ground cardamom . For 30 minutes, fill the mixture with boiling water, then strain, add 85 ml of lemon juice , 50 ml of orange juice and honey to taste. This tea is drunk cold - mint flavor will increase the feeling of freshness.
- If you need to normalize the bladder and kidneys, combine ginger tea for weight loss with lingonberry leaves .
Rules for the use of ginger tea for weight loss
Let's summarize a few important points regarding the use of ginger tea for weight loss :
- Ginger can be used constantly, and not only in the days of active weight loss, brew it with green or black tea.
- One slice of lemon per cup will be enough.
- If you drink tea with honey , then honey must be diluted either in a warm infusion, or eat from a spoon.
- Since ginger tea for weight loss is invigorating, we do not recommend drinking it in the evening .
- After preparing ginger tea for weight loss, it is necessary to filter it , otherwise the tea will be too rich.
- For two liters of water, a piece of ginger root the size of an average plum is needed.
- When preparing ginger for tea, cut it into as thin slices as possible , such as using a potato peeler.
- If you drink tea before a meal, it will dull the appetite and hunger.
- The recommended consumption of slimming ginger tea is two liters per day.
- Best tea for weight loss brew in the morning . Pour into a thermos and drink a cup of tea during the day.
Ginger salad for weight loss (very good on fasting days)
- 30% raw carrots and 20% baked beets - sweet taste (stimulates the pancreas and stomach);
- 10% orange peel - a bitter taste (stimulates the functioning of the small intestine and heart);
- 20% lemon - sour taste (stimulates the gallbladder and liver);
- 10% celery powder - salty taste (stimulates the kidneys, adrenal glands);
- 10% ginger or pepper - a burning taste (stimulates the colon and lungs);
- 1 - 2 tbsp. l any vegetable oil .