walnut - juglans regia
Family Nut (Juglandaceae).
Botanical characteristic. A monoecious plant, a powerful tree 10 - 35 m high with a spreading crown and a thick branchy trunk. The bark is clear gray, wrinkled, in oblong cracks. The leaves are large, alternate, pinnate, with 3 to 5 pairs of elongated, pointed, bare above, hairy leaf veins below the corners. Flowers are same-sex, collected in 2 - 3. Fruits are not real drupes. It blooms in April - May, the fruits ripen in September.
Spread. It grows wild in the countries of the Balkan Peninsula, in Asia Minor, in the Caucasus.
In Russia, it grows and is cultivated as a fruit tree.
Chemical composition. Leaves and pericarp of walnut contain flavonoids, tannins, alkaloids, carotene, vitamin C, dyeing substance yuglon, which has bactericidal properties, vitamin E. Leaves of walnut are as good as wild rose in carotene and vitamin C richness.
Fatty oil, protein, including free amino acids (asparagine, cystine, glutamine, serine, histidine, valine, phenylalanine), were found in the fruit nuclei. The kernel is rich in vitamins E, C, K, P, group B, and also contains minerals (calcium, iron, cobalt, iodine, etc.). In the seed coat is P-sitosterol.
Used parts of the plant. Leaves, green pericarp, and green unripe fruits are picked to make the medicine.
Leaves are harvested in dry weather and dried immediately, so as not to turn black. Pericarp is collected during harvesting, dried. Green unripe fruits are harvested during the period of milk-wax ripeness, when the inner shell is easily cut with a knife.
Application in medicine. In European countries, walnuts are used in official medicine, and in our country only in traditional medicine, although a number of scientific studies have been carried out confirming the healing properties of the plant and the possibility of its use in herbal medicine.
Nut preparations have a general strengthening, tonic, blood purifying, vasodilating, bactericidal, hypoglycemic, anti-inflammatory, choleretic, diuretic, wound healing, appetizing, anthelmintic, astringent effect.
The infusion of walnut leaves and pericarp has long been used for scurvy, intestinal catarrh, diarrhea , toothache, diabetic periodontal disease, kidney disease, gout, diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis , vitamin deficiency diseases.
The shell of the fruit is used by the people in the treatment of hypertension , atherosclerosis, heart disease.
The pericarp broth is drunk for gastrointestinal diseases, heart diseases, hypertension, liver diseases, hemorrhoids, exhaustion, toxic goiter, anemia, inflammation of the lymph nodes, with neoplasms in the mammary gland, uterine bleeding, menstrual irregularities, and whites in women.
Take an infusion of leaves as a hypoglycemic. It also has a diuretic effect in heart edema, hypertension and atherosclerosis, urolithiasis , and diseases of the bladder.
With gout, joint pain of a rheumatic origin, and other inflammatory processes in the joints, lotions from tincture of leaves are applied to the sore spots along the nerve trunks or rubbing with alcohol infusion of leaves.
Tincture of partitions (gaps) is useful for toxic and endemic goiter. More often they use a 20% tincture or a decoction.
Valuable kernels are nut kernels .
From unripe fruits in the phase of formation of the gelatinous kernel, jam is cooked. The walnut kernel is included in the diet of patients with diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, with increased acidity of gastric juice. Preparations from mature nuclei are effective in poisoning with salts of heavy metals, in nutrition with radionuclide contamination of food and water as a means of stimulating white blood formation in radiation injuries.
- Broth of pericarp of walnut: 1 tbsp. l dry or finely chopped fresh raw materials, pour 1 cup of water and boil for 2 minutes. Insist 30 minutes, filter. Take a quarter cup 3 times a day before meals with hypertension, atherosclerosis, exhaustion, goiter, anemia, tumor processes, bleeding, menstrual irregularities.
- Infusion of pericarp of walnut: 1 tbsp. l pour raw materials 1 cup boiling water and insist 1 hour. Filter and take a third cup 3 times a day before meals with vitamin deficiency, diarrhea, periodontal disease, gout, diabetes.
- Infusion of walnut leaves: 1 tbsp. l pour raw materials with 1 glass of boiling water and insist 1 hour. Filter and give a third of a glass 3 times a day before meals for diabetes, hypertension, urolithiasis, goiter.
- Decoction of walnut leaves (external): 2 tbsp. l 300 ml of boiling water is poured into the raw materials and insisted in a warm place for 1 hour, filtered and rinsed in the mouth or throat 3 times a day or used for vaginal douching, baths for hemorrhoids, lotions for external inflammatory processes.
- Tincture of young walnut fruits: Young green nuts in the stage of milk ripeness are poured with alcohol (70 °) (30 fruits per 1 liter of alcohol) and insisted for 15 days in a dark place at room temperature. Filter and take 1 tsp. 3 times a day in milk with goiter, diarrhea, peptic ulcer.
- Decoction of the shell of fruits, partitions of walnut: 1 tbsp. l chopped raw material is poured with 1 glass of water and boiled for 5 minutes. Insist 30 minutes. Filter and take a quarter cup 3 times a day after meals with hypertension, gout, diabetes, goiter.
- Tincture of walnut kernels: Grind 30 kernels and pour them with 1 liter of alcohol (40 °). Insist 2 weeks in the sun. Filter and take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day before meals as a firming and hypoglycemic.
Homeopathy. In homeopathy, Juglans 3x, 3 is used for gastrointestinal diseases, accompanied by nausea and dull pain in the right hypochondrium, diarrhea with burning sensation in the rectum and yellowish-green stool; with skin diseases with itching, burning and pustular rashes.