walnut - juglans regia
Nut family (Juglandaceae).
Botanical characteristics. Monoecious plant, powerful tree with a height of 10 - 35 m with a spreading crown and a thick branchy trunk. The bark is clear gray, wrinkled, in elongated fissures. The leaves are large, alternate, pinnate, with 3 - 5 pairs of elongated, pointed, naked above, bottom of the veined hairs at the corners of the veins. Flowers are same-sex, collected 2 to 3. The fruit is not a real drupe. It blooms in April - May, the fruits ripen in September.
Spread. In the wild form grows in the countries of the Balkan Peninsula, in Small and Central Asia, in the Caucasus.
On the territory of Russia it grows and is cultivated as a fruit tree.
Chemical composition. The leaves and pericarp of walnut contain flavonoids, tannins, alkaloids, carotene, vitamin C, the coloring matter juglon, which has bactericidal properties, vitamin E. The leaves of walnut are not inferior to dogrose in their richness.
Fatty oil, protein, including in the form of free amino acids (asparagine, cystine, glutamine, serine, histidine, valine, phenylalanine) are found in the nuclei of the fruit. The core is rich in vitamins E, C, K, P, group B, and also contains minerals (calcium, iron, cobalt, iodine, etc.). In the shell of the seed - β-sitosterol.
Used plant parts. For the preparation of drugs collect leaves, green pericarp and green unripe fruit.
The leaves are harvested in dry weather and immediately dried so as not to turn black. The pericarp is harvested when harvesting the fruit, dried. Green unripe fruits are collected during the period of milky-wax ripeness, when the inner shell is easily cut with a knife.
Use in medicine. In European countries, walnut is used in official medicine, and in our country only in traditional medicine, although a number of scientific studies have been conducted confirming the healing properties of the plant and the possibility of its use in herbal medicine.
Nut preparations have a tonic, tonic, blood purifying, vasodilator, bactericidal, hypoglycemic, anti-inflammatory, choleretic, diuretic, wound healing, appetizing, anthelmintic, astringent action.
Infusion of leaves and pericarp of walnut has long been used in scurvy, intestinal catarrh, diarrhea , toothache, diabetic periodontal disease, kidney disease, gout, diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis , and avitaminosis.
The shell of the fruit is used by the people in the treatment of hypertension , atherosclerosis, heart disease.
Broth pericarp drink with gastrointestinal diseases, heart disease, hypertension, liver disease, hemorrhoids, exhaustion, toxic goiter, anemia, inflammation of the lymph nodes, with tumors in the breast, uterine bleeding, menstrual disorders, white hair in women.
Take the infusion of leaves as a hypoglycemic agent. It also has a diuretic effect in cardiac edema, hypertension and atherosclerosis, urolithiasis , and diseases of the bladder.
When gout, articular pains of rheumatic origin, other inflammatory processes in the joints apply lotions from the tincture of the leaves to sore spots along the nerve trunks, or rub it with alcohol extract of the leaves.
Tincture of the septum (lacunae) is useful in toxic and endemic goiter. More often use a 20% tincture or decoction.
Valuable dietary products are kernels of nuts .
From immature fruits in a phase of formation of gelatinous kernels jam is made. The kernel of walnut include in the diet of patients with diabetes, atherosclerosis, with increased acidity of gastric juice. Preparations from mature nuclei are effective in poisoning with salts of heavy metals, in feeding with radionuclide contamination of food and water as a means of stimulating white blood formation during radiation injuries.
- Decoction of walnut pericarp: 1 tbsp. l dry or finely chopped fresh raw materials are poured with a glass of water and boiled for 2 minutes. Insist 30 minutes, filter. Take a quarter cup 3 times a day before meals for hypertension, atherosclerosis, exhaustion, goiter, anemia, tumor processes, bleeding, menstrual disorders.
- Walnut pericarp infusion: 1 tbsp. l raw materials are poured with 1 cup of boiling water and infused for 1 hour. Strain and take one-third of a glass 3 times a day before meals for vitamin deficiency, diarrhea, periodontal disease, gout, and diabetes.
- Infusion of walnut leaves: 1 tbsp. l raw materials are poured with 1 cup of boiling water and infused for 1 hour. Strain and give a third of glass 3 times a day before meals for diabetes, hypertension, urolithiasis, goiter.
- Broth walnut leaves (outer): 2 tbsp. l raw materials are poured 300 ml of boiling water and insist in a warm place for 1 hour, filter and rinse the mouth or throat 3 times a day or use for vaginal douches, baths for hemorrhoids, lotions for external inflammatory processes.
- Tincture of young fruits of walnut: Young green nuts in the stage of milky ripeness are poured with alcohol (70 °) (30 fruits per 1 l of alcohol) and insist 15 days in a dark place at room temperature. Strain and take 1 tsp. 3 times a day in milk with goiter, diarrhea, peptic ulcer.
- Decoction of the shell of the fruit, walnut partition walls: 1 tbsp. l crushed raw material is poured with 1 glass of water and boiled for 5 minutes. Insist 30 minutes. Filter and take a quarter cup 3 times a day after meals with hypertension, gout, diabetes, goiter.
- Walnut kernel tincture: Crush 30 kernels and pour 1 liter of alcohol (40 °) over them. Insist 2 weeks in the sun. Filter and take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day before meals as a tonic and hypoglycemic agent.
Homeopathy. In homeopathy, Juglans 3x, 3 is used for gastrointestinal diseases, accompanied by nausea and dull pain in the right hypochondrium, diarrhea with burning sensation in the rectum and a yellowish-green stool; with skin diseases with itching, burning and pustular rash.