Family Pink (Rosaceae).
Botanical characteristics. The tree is up to 20 m high. The leaves are alternate, single-pinnate, from 7 to 15 oblong or oblong-lanceolate, serrate leaves, from above - dull green, from below - gray-gray. The flowers are bisexual, regular, 5-petal, white, in a dense, multi-flowered scutellid inflorescence. The fruit is apple-like, globular, bright red or orange-red. Blossoms in May. Fruits ripen in September.
Spread. In the CIS countries now grows more than 30 species of mountain ash.
A tree grows in forests, among shrubs, in parks, in plantings along roads, along rivers and lakes. Grown for decorative urban landscaping.
Chemical composition. Rowan leaves contain large amounts of vitamin C, carotenoids and phenolic compounds. The flowers contain quercetin-3-glycoside, quercetin-3-saporioside, substances that strengthen the vascular wall of the capillaries.
Fruits are rich in phenolic bases, catechins, anthocyanins, flavonols, as well as carotene, folic acid, ascorbic acid, vitamin K, E, B3. Rowan fruits contain many organic acids (amber, malic, tartaric, oxalic, sorbic, para-sorbic, citric), sugar (fructose, glucose, sucrose, sorbose), pectin, tannins, mineral salts (iodine, iron, manganese, potassium, sodium , calcium, magnesium, aluminum).
Used plant parts. For therapeutic purposes, use fruits, flowers and leaves of mountain ash. Dried fruits prepare and release pharmacies, flowers and leaves are used in folk herbal medicine and phytodietics.
Use in medicine. In folk medicine, mountain ash is known as a fortifying, vitamin, vasodilator, hypoglycemic, hemostatic, choleretic, diuretic, analgesic, estrogenic. It has a cholesterol-lowering, antimicrobial effect, improves metabolism and increases resistance to excessive doses of radiation.
The multivitamin composition of rowan fruits determines their use by patients with anemia, diabetes mellitus, capillary toxicosis and capillaropathy of various origin (including radiation), with hemorrhoids, kidney and liver diseases, and gastrointestinal tract.
Rowan juice is useful for exhaustion, as an appetizing and vitamin remedy, it is drunk for disorders of salt metabolism, gout, thrombophlebitis, atherosclerosis, and low acidity of gastric juice. Juice and fruit decoction are taken with diarrhea, large intestine atony in the elderly, with tartar diabetes, as a choleretic agent for diseases of the liver, gall bladder, cholelithiasis, and also as a diuretic for kidney diseases, urolithiasis, renal colic.
Infusion of flowers of mountain ash, juice and decoction of fruits and leaves are effective as a diaphoretic with colds, fever, as well as with heavy menstruation, uterine, nasal bleeding, in menopause, use it and as a contraceptive.
The juice from the berries, natural berries and fruit decoction is used to help those who are stung by carbon monoxide, as well as a painkiller for stomach pains, intestinal colic, and malignant tumors. Infusion of flowers of mountain ash - protivozobnoe and antitussive.
In order to better preserve the potato, it is poured over the winter with finely chopped rowan leaves. Tubers do not rot. Rowan phytoncides have a strong disinfecting effect. In the field, mountain ash is used to disinfect standing water, for which a sprig of mountain ash is dipped into a bowl with water for several hours, while the taste of water is also improved.
Contraindications. With a tendency to increased blood clotting to use the fruits of mountain ash is contraindicated.
- Infusion of flowers of mountain ash: 1 tsp. dry flowers pour 1 cup boiling water and boil for 1 min. Insist 1 hour, filter. Drink warm to a quarter glass 3 - 4 times a day with goiter, diabetes, colds, menopause.
- Infusion of leaves of mountain ash: 1 tbsp. l fresh crushed leaves are poured with 1 cup of boiling water and insist under the lid in a warm place for 1 hour. Strain and drink with periodontal disease, scurvy, vitamin deficiency, anemia.
- Infusion of the fruits of mountain ash: 1 tbsp. l crushed dried fruits or 1 tbsp. l gruel of fresh mashed fruit is poured with 1 cup of boiling water and infused for 4 hours, and then filtered. Drink 0.5 cups 3 times a day before meals for diabetes, goiter, vitamin deficiency, pain in the stomach and intestinal colic, disorders of the liver or kidneys.
- Broth fruits rowan ordinary: 1 tbsp. l 300 ml of water are poured into the dried ground fruits and boiled for 10 minutes, infused in a warm place for 1 hour. Strain and drink 3 times a day before meals with vitamin deficiency, anemia, menopause, goiter, diabetes mellitus, after radiation exposure.
- A decoction of fruits and leaves of mountain ash: Take a dessert spoonful of mashed fresh fruits and the same number of leaves and boil in 300 ml of water for 10 minutes. Insist 2 hours, filter. Take a quarter of a glass 2 - 3 times a day before meals with diabetes, after radiation exposure.
- Broth from the bark of mountain ash: 300 ml of water are poured over a dessert spoon of the crushed dry bark and boiled for 15 minutes and then infused for 6 hours in a thermos. Filter and take 2 tbsp. l 3 times a day for hypertension, atherosclerosis, menopause.
- Tincture of fresh fruits of mountain ash: A glass of mashed fresh fruit is poured over 1 liter of vodka and left for 2 weeks in a dark place at room temperature. Strain and take 1 tsp. 3 times a day for menopause, goiter, impotence in patients with diabetes mellitus.