common blueberry - vaccinium myrtillus
Other names: Bilberry myrtle, chernitsa, Chernizhnik, Chernichnik, bilberry, chernog.
Heather family (Ericaceae).
Botanical characteristics. Low branched perennial shrub 15 - 40 cm high, branches bare, branched, sharp-ridged. Leaves are almost sessile, spirally arranged, solid, elliptical or ovate-elliptic, finely serrate on margin. The leaves are pointed at the top, pale at the bottom, light green above, bare, thin, fall to the winter. The flowers are correct, on short pedicels, single, in the axils of the leaves. A corolla of flowers greenish-white with a pinkish tinge, spherical shape. The fruit is a spherical black berry. It blooms in May - June, the fruits ripen in July.
Spread. Blueberry is a moisture-loving plant. In Belarus and in central Russia, it grows everywhere in pine and mixed forests, among shrubs, in shady, marshy places. The plant requires careful treatment, especially given its medicinal and nutritional value.
Chemical composition. Blueberry leaves are rich in inulin, flavonoids, anthocyanins. Fruits contain carbohydrates (glucose, sucrose, fructose, pectin), organic acids (citric, lactic, oxalic, malic, amber), vitamins C, B19, B2, P, PP, carotene, they have a high amount of flavonoids, phenoacids (quinic, coffee, chlorogenic), tannins, essential oil, manganese and iron compounds.
Used plant parts. For medicinal purposes use the fruits and leaves of blueberry ordinary. The leaves are harvested during the flowering of the plant and during the maturity of the fruit. Berries are harvested at full maturity. Dried bilberry fruits dispense pharmacies. Bilberry leaves are part of the collection for diabetics called "Arfazetin."
Blueberry is known in folk medicine as a plant that increases the body's immunity , its resistance to stress, as a tonic, sugar-reducing, anti-inflammatory, hemostatic, hematopoietic, vasodilator, astringent, choleretic, diuretic.
Fresh berries have an easy laxative effect, they activate intestinal motility, which is important in chronic constipation, as well as in diabetes, gout, rheumatism. Kissel and infusion of blueberries, especially dry, are useful as an astringent for diarrhea , as well as for bedwetting , in patients with anemia and leukemia, and dysentery.
Scientific and traditional medicine recognized hypoglycemic effect of blueberry leaves. Lotions of broth fresh berries or ointment of them with fresh cream or olive oil impose on areas of the body with impaired skin, with pustular skin diseases, eczema, with allergic rashes. A decoction of the plant is used for uterine bleeding, dropsy, gallstone, kidney stones.
Blueberries are considered a means for the prevention of tumor processes. Consuming them also helps to improve vision.
A mixture of juices of berries of blueberries and strawberries rinse the throat, mouth cavity in case of sore throat , inflammatory processes, and diseases of the upper respiratory tract, in particular, in case of laryngitis.
Natural fresh juice or pulp from berries is applied on eczematous areas, on the skin with psoriatic plaques, with scabies, burns, ulcers, acne, diathesis process.
When skin lesions take a bath, using as a raw material for the infusion of blueberry leaves in a mixture with horsetail, oat straw, grass succession.
- Infusion of bilberry leaves: 1 tbsp. l raw materials pour 1 cup boiling water and insist 30 minutes, filter. Take 0.5 cups 3 times a day before meals for diabetes, inflammatory processes in the kidneys, atony of the bladder, intestinal colic.
- A decoction of bilberry leaves: 1 tbsp. l dry leaves pour 1 glass of water and boil for 3 minutes. Insist 30 minutes and filter. Take 0.5 cups 3 times a day before meals for diabetes, allergies, inflammatory processes in the kidneys.
- Cold infusion of blueberry fruits: 2 tbsp. l dry fruits pour 1 cup of cold boiled water and infuse for 8 hours, filter. Drink 0.5 cups 3 - 4 times a day for hypovitaminosis, periodontal disease, diarrhea, dysentery.
- Hot infusion of blueberry fruits: 2 tbsp. l fruits pour 2 cups of boiling water and insist in a thermos for 4 hours, filter. They drink 0.5 cups 3-4 times a day with anemia, after radiation injuries, overwork, and diabetes.
- Blueberry wine: 1 tbsp. l dry fruits pour 150 ml of water and boil for 20 minutes. Add 250 ml of red wine and boil for another 10 minutes. Take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day for chronic colitis.
- Broth leaves of bilberry ordinary: 3 tbsp. l dried leaves of blueberry pour 1 l of water and boil for 5 minutes, and then insist 30 minutes. Used for douching for belah and inflammatory processes of the female genital or used for enemas for hemorrhoidal inflammation.