How to cook cereals. An experienced cook shared his secrets!
Porridge is a dish consisting of grains boiled in water (or in milk), sometimes with such additives as salt, sugar, seasonings, milk, fruits and dried fruits, jam.
“If you don’t forget about porridge, you will be healthy all your life!” - a proverb says, whose wisdom is priceless. Not for nothing, pediatricians have advised from the age of seven months to introduce into the diet of infants nutritious cereals from cereals.
Do you remember rice milk porridge or semolina from kindergarten? Not every chef will cook such tasty! Believe or remember the foam ? Each cereal has its own cooking tricks: it is better to soak one cereal overnight, and the other should be boiled just a couple of minutes until ready. The secrets of delicious cereals from popular cereals were revealed to us by an experienced cook and we share with you.
Porridge is very common in our kitchen; in many countries, traditional breakfast food. Traditionally, porridge is cooked in clay or cast-iron pots in a Russian stove, now also in saucepans on stoves or in special dishes in microwave ovens.
Porridge has always been the most frequent hot meal in the army, especially in field conditions. Hence the often used name of the profession of the army chef - "cook". The soldiers themselves give some porridge slang nicknames, for example, barley porridge in the army called shrapnel or bolts for a distinctive appearance. Also, barley porridge in the army is called kirzuha, drug addict porridge (from the distorted name of cereals - perl). Also porridge is an integral element of baby food.
Porridge can be seasoned with milk, olives, cheese, low-fat cheese, butter, raisins, dried apricots, dried fruits and other useful and tasty supplements.
Types of cereals
- Buckwheat porridge - porridge prepared from buckwheat, a popular dish of Russian, Belarusian, Ukrainian and Polish cuisines;
- Pea porridge - a dietary product, has great nutritional value and caloric content;
- Semolina - used for first courses as filling, or in the form of semolina; for main courses - in the form of porridge, pancakes, casseroles, meatballs, meatballs; for sweet dishes - in the form of sweet semolina (gur'evsk), soufflé, pudding, mousse, etc .; for baking cake (so-called mannica); as well as for addition to ground meat;
- Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast dish available and very easy to prepare. For Scots, oatmeal is almost the main dish of the country;
- Barley porridge - a dish of boiled pearl barley, which is prepared both in milk and in water;
- Barley porridge - made without grinding and polishing, therefore, contains a large amount of fiber;
- Millet porridge is millet seeds, peeled from the outer shell;
- Rice porridge - rice porridge. For cooking rice cooked in water until it softens. There is a special device for cooking rice - rice cooker .;
- Corn porridge (Hominy, Polenta) - It is made not from whole grains, but from cereals;
- Mashed porridge - it must be necessarily with a thick bottom. Otherwise, the lower layers will burn. If there is no such pan, it is better to take a cauldron. And it is very important to be able to install the weakest fire - what is called the mode of languor. Then you get a gentle and at the same time hearty and energetic dish, wonderfully suitable for a hearty breakfast;
- The bearberry porridge is a flour made from oat or barley grains, which are pre-steamed, dried, roasted, peeled, and crushed. Manufacturing technology of oatmeal is reflected in the name (from the word "pound");
- Wheat porridge - porridge prepared from wheat cereals, a popular dish of Russian and European cuisines;
- Lentil porridge - the dish is prepared in any thick-walled pot. Suitable cast iron pan, utyatnitsa or pan;
- Porridge "Dubinushka" - a recipe from several types of cereals and vegetables, which are laid in a pan in layers;
- Guryev porridge - porridge made from semolina on milk with the addition of nuts (hazel, walnuts, almonds), kaymak (cream froths), dried fruits.
Rich and tender rice milk porridge
To make a rich and tender rice milk porridge, bring 1 l of milk to the boil, add salt and sugar to taste, then add 1 stack. washed round rice. Boil for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and wrap. After 30 minutes, porridge is ready to eat!
Buckwheat can be soaked overnight, and in the morning it is enough to change the water, rinse it and bring to a boil. The classic recipe for cooking buckwheat without soaking: you need to take one part of buckwheat and two parts of water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and wrap for 15 minutes.
Oatmeal will be more tender and tasty if cooked in the evening and left before breakfast. At 8 tbsp. l cereal to take 1 liter of milk, bring to a boil, remove from heat and wrap. In the morning, the porridge must simply be heated.
It is a mistake to believe that semolina should be poured into boiling milk. Porridge will get tastier and without lumps, if you pour 4 tbsp. l semolina liter of milk and, while stirring, boil. After 2 minutes, the pan must be removed and covered with a lid, leave for 20 minutes.
Corn porridge, perhaps, is the only one from our list that needs to be cooked for a long time, within 30 minutes. For 1 stack cereal is taken 2.5 stak. water, pour the cereal must be in boiling water. Often, such porridge is cooked in the oven: it is necessary to pour boiled water on the washed cereal, add salt, sugar, raisins to taste, cover with a lid and send to the oven heated to 180 degrees for 40 minutes. Then take the pot and mix the contents, return for another 10 minutes.
Each housewife will have his own secret of making delicious porridge, is not it? Share it with us in the comments: it will be very interesting to read to us and other users.