Is it dangerous to sleep on your stomach? The most useful and harmful poses for sleep according to scientists
Most of you probably know: in the morning, about 9-10 hours in the conditions of ringing silence, I woke up in a state, as if I did not rest at all. The reason, in most cases, is the incorrectly chosen posture for sleep.
In a state of sleep, we spend 1/3 of our lives. Sleep is the time when the body is at rest. Breathing and heart activity slows down, muscles relax, consciousness goes out. But in order for the body to rest and gain strength, one must sleep in the right posture. Pros and cons of the most popular options are further in the article.
On the back
The position "on the back" with the arms stretched out at the seams or folded on the stomach is called one of the best for a full rest and the most useful for health.
"When we sleep on our backs, our spine is in a state of natural" alignment ", without curvature. In addition, sleep on the back is the best position for the neck and head, because in this situation there is almost no pressure, and there is an even distribution of weight, "explains Dr. Melamed Mehmet of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
In this case, according to the doctor, the posture "on the back" is not suitable for people suffering from bronchial asthma, as it will provoke seizures.
According to the doctor-dermatologist from the University of St. Louis, the posture "on the back" is ideal for those who want to preserve the youthfulness of the skin, since in this position the face almost does not come into contact with the pillow, which means it does not risk wrinkles.
In turn, therapist Stephen Diamant from New York adds that a night rest on his back (with this position the stomach is below the esophagus) is best for those who suffer from heartburn - the likelihood of its occurrence is reduced.
- Sleep in this position is recommended to people suffering from scoliosis.
- With back injuries, sleeping in this position is the most comfortable - all the muscles relax and release tension.
- The most useful position for the skin. Lying on the back, we do not touch the face with the pillow.
- Sleep on the back is the best option for hypertensive patients. In this position, there is a uniform load on the heart.
- Contraindicated this position to those who snore and suffers from sleep apnea.
The next in the list of safe - the pose on the back with the arms extended to the side or raised upwards. It is often called a "sea star".
"This position is good for the back, but in this situation people also often snore (especially those who are predisposed to this phenomenon)," says neurologist Deacon Jimey from the Norwood clinic in Birmingham.
Also, according to the doctor, because of the upturned hands, there may be pressure on the shoulders, which can lead to discomfort and pain in the morning.
On the side
In general, sleep on the side doctors are classified as safe, but this method has several important features. For example, regardless of the chosen side, rest in this position is fraught with the appearance of wrinkles on the face and neck (if you constantly sleep on the same side).
A dream on the right side can trigger heartburn in people with this problem. And on the left - to cause an increased strain on some internal organs. This sleep on the side reduces the likelihood of snoring. Pregnant women doctors recommend sleeping on the left side to maintain optimal blood circulation (this position increases the flow of blood to the uterus).
By the way, neuroscience scientists from the University of Rochester in New York, as a result of their recent research, concluded that sleep on the side is most effective for getting rid of metabolic waste (the beta-amyloid protein that leads to Alzheimer's disease) accumulated during the day. In other words, scientists argue that the position "on the side" allows you to best unload the brain and prepare the body for new feats.
- This pose is suitable for those who have a low back pain. When we lie on our side, our spine acquires natural curves and the back rest.
- The pose helps to reduce unpleasant sensations in case of indigestion and heartburn.
- This pose also helps to cope with snoring.
- After sleeping on your side, you may experience pain in the cervical spine.
- People suffering from hypertension should not sleep on their left side. This situation has an extra burden on the heart.
- When we sleep on our side, we risk getting wrinkles on the side of the face that touches the pillows during sleep.
In the fetal position
The position on the side in the embryo pose (with pre-compressed knees) is most often chosen by people who experience a feeling of cold during sleep. Sleep in this position is best to keep the heat. However, this is perhaps the only plus position.
Rest with the knees pressed to the chest can lead to pain in the back and shoulders in the morning, as it involves an increased strain on the joints, says Dr. Melamed Mehmet of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Also, the fetal position can cause breathing disorders, which in turn will lead to insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain during sleep.
On the stomach
This position is called the most dangerous physician. When resting on the stomach, first of all the spine suffers. Not receiving any support at all, it bends, which leads to a violation of its natural position. In addition, sleep on the abdomen is fraught with a violation of blood circulation, numbness and tingling in the shoulders and neck, since the head at this position is always turned to one side at a right angle, explains the orthopedic physician from New York, Jonathan Fitzgordon.
If the posture "on the stomach" is the only one in which one can fall asleep, doctors recommend putting a small pillow (in the pelvic region) under it to adjust the position of the spine and thus reduce the load.
- It is easier to fall asleep on the stomach. Therefore, this pose is considered the most convenient, but by no means the most useful.
- Doctors believe that it is worth sleeping in this position, if you experience an uncomfortable state in the digestive organs. Sleep on the abdomen helps to reduce discomfort.
- If we lie down on the stomach, then turn our heads to the side. At this moment, one of the vertebral arteries bends and contracts. Because of this, the blood supply to the brain is impaired.
- During sleep on the abdomen, the lungs are not able to completely break down, the chest is squeezed. This makes breathing difficult.
- Sleep on the stomach can lead to problems of a sexual nature. And in women and men. This is due to the fact that the body's own weight presses on the internal organs. This disrupts the circulation in the lower abdomen. And blood circulation directly affects sexual health.
- To sleep on the stomach is not recommended not only by sexologists, but also by cosmetologists! Because of this position in the dream, wrinkles appear on the face (more often in the nasolabial area). Women also risk getting unwanted wrinkles and wrinkles on their breasts, which are difficult to get rid of. Those who like to sleep on their stomachs often have puffiness in the morning.