This page has been robot translated, sorry for typos if any. Original content here.

What to do if a bee or wasp has bitten you: a guide

Что делать, если тебя укусила пчела или оса: руководство

Stings and insect bites are painful conditions associated with insect bites (mainly hymenoptera and diptera).

A sting is the common name for a pointed organ or body part of various animals and plants used to inject a toxic or burning substance under the victim’s skin (stinging) or to apply an electric shock. Puncture of the victim’s tissue occurs due to the stinger’s own movements, unlike other organs, such as teeth using the power of the jaws or spikes using the victim’s movements.

It is unlikely that bee venom can cause you many problems, but the day will definitely spoil it. See how to act to minimize the consequences.

You must know: when a bee stings, the first thing to do is remove the sting. And here's why: “The sting has a cavity with poison, so the faster you remove it, the less poison gets into your blood,” explains Reshma Patel, an ambulance officer at the Langon Medical Center at New York University. According to a study at the University of Arizona (USA), more than 90% of the venom from the sting of a bee enters the blood within 20 seconds after a bite.

So try to remove the sting as soon as possible. You can use the edge of a credit card, the tip of a knife or tweezers. Nail, after all. But whatever you use, be careful: firstly, do not squeeze even more poison out of the sting, and secondly, do not bring the infection into the wound. After you take out the enemy shell, wash the bite area with soap and water. If the bite site burns and the redness and swelling persist, apply ice for 20 minutes to slow the reaction. In most cases, everything goes in a couple of hours. If you want to speed up the process a little, doctors advise you to lift up that part of the body into which you were bitten. This causes an outflow of blood, and the edema subsides.

Что делать, если тебя укусила пчела или оса: руководство

And the last step: spread the bite on the site with an anti-inflammatory, antipruritic cream (ask at the pharmacy). Well, if you are allergic to such things, then you can not do without an antihistamine. Important: It is necessary to be especially careful with bites for those who have experienced anaphylactic shock: if the body reacted acutely to one allergen, it can also respond to another, in this case bee venom. Signs of a serious allergic reaction include swelling of the throat, tongue, or eyes, difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, dizziness, and loss of consciousness.

Via mhealth.ru