How to reduce the appetite of cars and reduce the cost of gasoline
How to properly operate the car and not spend extra money at the gas station, told specialists of concern General Motors .
How not to spend extra money at the gas station.
Since December last year, the cost of gasoline at Ukrainian gas stations has steadily increased and the issue of fuel economy has become relevant for many. About how to properly operate the car and not spend extra money at the gas station, told specialists of concern General Motors.
- timely replacement of the engine air filter improves the efficiency of the car by 4%
- well-inflated tires - by 3.3%
- rejection of climate control - immediately by 10%
- unloading the trunk from unnecessary things will moderate the car's appetite by 2% for every 45 kg of trash
- choosing the optimal speed in top gear (about 100 km / h) will save up to 3 liters per 100 kilometers in a country cycle
GM specialists also reminded that the extra acceleration and braking increase fuel consumption by 33% when driving on the highway and by 5% in the city, and every 15 minutes of idle time at idle "eat" about 0.9 liters of fuel.
Pay for the "fuel" during a trip to the sea can be much less - sometimes twice. But in the city savings can be significant.
You gathered in the Crimea in your own car, and then gasoline again "jumped" by ten percent? Do not worry: “Today” will tell you how, without particularly straining, to reduce fuel costs by 20%. By the way, driving economically and driving safely is in most cases the same thing!
Factor One, Technical
First of all, you should remember: you will save fuel only on a fully serviceable car. Any little thing, any malfunction can significantly increase consumption. Even such “nonsense” as an occasionally thawing candle can “eat” an extra two or three liters on a tank. And in the end, you "will not reach" is not the extra 20-30 kilometers. The main malfunctions and their effect on fuel consumption are in the table. Will be cheaper to repair!
Find your fuel
Having refueled with cheap fuel, do not be in a hurry to rejoice: measure the mileage on this gasoline. It may well be that the cost of the distance traveled eventually increased - the engine filled up the missing calorific value of the fuel with its quantity.
- Even refueling only at "branded" gas stations at about the same price, you can get a different expense for two gasoline poured at different network gas stations. By the way, this does not mean that one of the gasoline is much better. Simply, it is more suitable specifically for your motor. After all, modern types of high-octane fuels may have oxygen-containing additives, and even an admixture of ethanol. Effective combustion of such gasoline is possible only with the intervention of a "smart" on-board computer, capable of recognizing this fuel and accordingly changing the engine settings. Therefore it is worthwhile to blink and experimentally determine which of the nearest gas stations should be refueled regularly.
- A separate topic is refueling with gasoline with a low or high octane number (unless, of course, the manufacturer allows operation on several types of fuel). It is necessary to determine, also experimenting.
- And finally, a seditious thought: and if not gasoline at all? Modern gas equipment systems allow, almost without reducing the dynamics of the car and not increasing consumption, to switch to liquefied gas. Which, firstly, rises more slowly than gasoline, and secondly, at all times costs about two times cheaper than the 92nd. Of course, we need initial investment (from $ 300 to $ 1000), the more significant the more modern the car. But the costs pay off in a maximum of six months.
- The diesel engine, although it does not allow to save as "smartly" as the transition to gas (only about 30%), but it has its advantages, among which there is a greater torque at low and medium rpm.
Major factor: human
No matter how trite it is, the fuel consumption depends on your driving style no less than on the technical condition of the car and the quality of gasoline! And someone in his defense will say: "And I like fast driving, and I am ready to pay for it!" For the pleasure of speed, the feeling of full engine power - I agree. But for the missed right turn, lost time as a result - is it worth paying for it?
- Before you start driving in the city, mentally “calculate” the route. And “suddenly all of a sudden” I’ll recall that the congress was blocked from such and such overpass because of the repair, and the passage along the other bridge was restricted. And to go round something of nothing! And the road is less loaded there ...
- The second urban “economy postulate”: the movement of “zigzags” not only leads to unnecessary risk, but also gives no gain in time. But overruns - please. In order to go along with this statement, ask yourself: how many times have you risked dangerously “squeezing” into the next row, moving much faster than yours? And did it not always immediately turn out that just the strip from which you just left is moving faster than anyone?
- The third way to save in the urban cycle is to “calculate” the traffic situation. The author of these lines just recently witnessed how the tractor of the gardening service did not lag behind passenger cars for 18 intersections! Simply, he drove his maximum 35 km / h, podgadyvaya moment before turning on the "green" light at the intersection. And overtook! And how much fuel can be saved, moving with a uniform speed, without sudden accelerations and braking!
- But it is in the city. And on the track? Remember how many times it happened that a car that had famously passed over you at high speed was suddenly discovered about fifteen kilometers away. Weaving in the tail of the overcoming protracted lift "wagon". You drove yourself slowly and safely your 110, avoiding fines, saving fuel and not risking anything! In such cases, it is customary to grin a mischief: “... what, a swagger, overtook?”. Now let us recall how many times it was the other way around ... The difference between these two driving styles can be five or eight liters per five.
5 saving myths
1. When driving downhill, the gear must be turned off.
This advice was just about 30 years ago. With the advent of EPHH (economizer forced idling) in the carburetor systems, and even more so on modern injection engines when braking the engine (gearbox) electronics cuts off the fuel supply, and it consumes 0! When you turn off the transfer of gas consumption is resumed, and the savings ends. By the way, the PHX mode is very useful for the motor - the burning and soot is carried out. Therefore, from a roller coaster - only on the transmission - both more economically, and more beneficially, and better in terms of traffic safety!
2. It is necessary to switch to a higher gear faster.
The most economical engine speed is in the range of 2500-3500 rpm. This is due to the best ventilation conditions of the combustion chamber (at high suction rates in the cylinders, increased turbulence is formed, which mix gasoline with air better and prevent detonation).
When reducing the speed (up to 1500) consumption increases, although not by much. Well, with the fall of revolutions below 1.5 thousand, the consumption of gasoline grows significantly - the idling system begins to interfere with the mixing, adding "extra" fuel. In addition, exhaust gases from the cylinders do not go well, and the fresh mixture does not burn completely. Therefore, do not really "tighten" with downshifting.
3. When driving in traffic you need to constantly turn off the engine.
Advice is valid only if you have to stand for more than a minute, and you probably know this (for example, in the case of a stop at a "long" traffic light). If you turn off the engine and start the engine often, on the contrary, it will lead to overspending and increased engine wear. As the rapid failure of the battery. Do you need it?
4. You need to accelerate slowly.
Smooth - yes. But not slowly: a long movement on the lower gears will lead to cost overruns. Of course, at the moment of acceleration, the instantaneous consumption increases significantly, but the more short-term it is, the faster the engine will reach its optimum mode of operation and reduce the consumption of gasoline.
5. Spoiler (wing) reduces consumption.
In no case. He has a different task - it is better to press the car to the road. And he does this at the expense of additional resistance to airflow (read: additional fuel consumption). And the greater the area and angle of the spoiler, the more it affects the flow. If you are not going to overcome steep turns on the track as fast as possible, it is better to refuse wing in order to save. In extreme cases, “for beauty,” choose a “neutral” spoiler that does not have a pronounced angle of attack and is only an imitation of a sports accessory.
1. Do not depress the gas pedal until it stops.
By this you re-enrich the mixture. Add gas with increase in turns, "advancing" the engine a pedal at most by a third. Especially true for driving in low gear: if you press the pedal "on the floor" at 1500 rpm, you will not achieve anything except a significant overrun.
2. Switch correctly and on time.
Driving both at too low and at too high revs results in an overrun. As already mentioned, the optimum speed of rotation of the crankshaft is recognized in the interval between 2500 and 3500 rpm. No tachometer - learn to navigate the sound of the engine.
3. Avoid high speeds.
Air resistance grows in proportion to the square of the speed! If your car consumes about 7-8 liters for a “hundred” at a moderate speed, you can be sure: by 180 km / h its “appetite” will increase to 16-18 liters!
4. Control the flow of instruments.
When driving on the highway, it is best to turn on the cruise control. In this case, the electronics themselves selects the optimal (and therefore more economical) engine operating conditions. In urban conditions, the included display of average fuel consumption is not at all superfluous. If there is no boring computer on an old car, put a vacuum econometer for 50 hryvnia, which is suitable for any car. Sometimes one "oblique" view of the over-the-top rate of expenditure is enough to discipline.
"Tips and myths are verified. I agree . "
Sergey Nikolaichuk, participant, technical consultant of the only Ukrainian economy rally "Skoda Grand Prix Ukraine"
Comfort is not free. But...
For convenience, we often agree to pay. But sometimes it turns out that to give up comfort does not make sense at all. For example, fuel consumption while driving a small car at a speed of 120 km / h with the air conditioner on and windows closed is about 8 liters. But open windows when the condition is off "will cost" 10.5 liters. The phenomenon is explained simply: the air conditioner turned on “slows down” the engine less than the aerodynamic resistance of open windows.
In all other cases, the included additional equipment leads to excessive fuel consumption. Working at a significant volume radio, turned on the rear window heater, heater fan in the "max" position, main beam and dipped - all this increases the flow. In total, the charge for such a generator load can be up to 15% of the overrun. But to save on this, perhaps not worth it. Moreover, these expenses can be quite compensated by using the following "small" tips:
- 1. Riding in the dark and silence, with a misted rear window - certainly stupid. But to transfer the air intake flap on the highway to the “outer” position instead of turning on the fan to full capacity - albeit insignificant, but the savings of both fuel and generator life with the heater motor. What else are the secrets of saving, in total, able to result in a significant figure?
- 2. About one percent of the savings you get by raising the tire pressure (for the track) by 0.2 "atmosphere". This, by the way, will also reduce the wear of "rubber" at high speeds.
- 3. Another percent you will save ... choosing instead of the black color of the car is light - it is less heated by the sun, the air conditioner and the "climate" fan work with a smaller load. And do not forget about the need for safety to turn on the headlights during the day on the highway - a dark car is hardly visible on the road.
- 4. If there is no rain on the street - remove the wipers before a long trip (if they "do not hide"). It is unlikely that it will give more than half a percent, but still improve the aerodynamics. In general, all the aerodynamic "gadgets" of the type of deflectors on the windows and the "fly swatter" on the hood can both reduce fuel consumption and increase it in the case of an incorrect configuration and illiterate installation.
- 5. In the summer, use special summer tires with reduced rolling resistance. Win - up to 5%!
- 6. Make a trunk audit. Fuel consumption for every 50 kg of excess weight is 2%! Remember this figure, and equipping the car on the road, for example, at sea.