Jimm is a free ICQ ™ client for Java-enabled cell phones
Jimm 0.6.0beta on the emulator Sony Ericsson
Jimm 0.5.1 on Siemens CX65
| If you paid for Jimm, sending SMS to a short number, then you are deceived!
If after the launch of Jimm, a large amount of money has been withdrawn from your account, then you have also been deceived!
Recently, on many websites (including this one) there has appeared an advertisement of the modified Jimm which, after launching, sends SMS to a short number and removes a large amount of money from the phone account.
Remember that Jimm is a completely free program and you do not have to pay anything to download it or use it . Be carefull!
Features of the JIMM
- Free software, fully available source code (under GPL)
- Communicate via ICQ ™ with users around the world
- Support for animated smileys (since version 0.6.0)
- Transfer of pictures and files to almost any ICQ client (starting with version 0.6.0)
- ICQ ™ clone for the J2ME ™ platform ( MIDP )
- Direct connection to ICQ ™ network
- The basis is the 8th protocol
- Up to 96% savings compared to Short Message Service (SMS), example
- Support for the interface in different languages (English, German, Russian, Lithuanian, Bulgarian, Czech, Ukrainian and Serbian are available at the moment)
- Free software , fully available source code ( under GPL )
- In no way affiliated with ICQ Inc.
The italic features of the latest test version are marked in italics .
Features of the JIMM
- Text messaging
- Storing message history
- Sound and vibro notifications of various events (online contact, notification of dialing, incoming message)
- Support for statuses and advanced statuses
- View contact information
- Editing your own profile
- Determining the client's client and displaying the client icon in the contact list
- Display smilies in the text (static and animated )
- Exchange of files ( direct transmission , through the web server ), sending pictures from the built-in camera
- Manage the list of contacts (search, add, delete, etc.)
- Managing private lists
- Register a new account
- Antispam Filter
- Manage phantom contacts list
- Choice of interface color scheme and background image
- Calculation of traffic and spent money
- Support hotkeys for performing actions
- Displaying avatars . In the future, it is planned to upload avatars to the server
- Checking ICQ servers when connecting . Helps to connect when the connection does not occur due to the fault of the cellular operator
Jimm supports the exchange of plain text messages . Exchange of multi-colored or formatted text is not provided.
When the message from Jimm reaches the addressee, the picture of the message in the chat is ticked: .
The client Jimm provides storing the history of messages in a special cell store called RMS. On some cellular (for example, on Motorola) this storage has a rather small volume, and therefore it is not recommended to store the history on such cellular. The program settings are stored in the same storage, and if it overflows, the settings will no longer be saved.
You can delete the history of one or all of the contacts at once. You can not delete individual messages from the history. It is possible to save the history as a file (only if the cellular supports access to files from Java applications).
The standard statuses and x-statuses are marked in bold in the selection list, and non-standard statuses are marked with the usual ones:
In Jimm'e there is a direct transfer of files according to the 8th version of the file transfer protocol (ie the phone establishes a new connection directly with the computer of your interlocutor) only to computers that have a real IP address on the Internet. In order to be able to transfer files to any clients and any computers, it is recommended to use file transfer through a web server .
PS: In the future, it is planned to implement support for the 9th version of the file exchange protocol. This means that Jimm will not only be able to send files directly to clients that support this protocol, but also through ICQ Inc.'s proxy server, and also receive incoming files and save them in the phone's file system (the phone will have to support the JSR- 75)
This method of transmission has the following advantages:
- The file can be transferred even to those clients that do not support receiving files via ICQ
- You can upload a file to the server once and send links to it to several contacts at once
- List of ignored - a list of those who will not see your status, and you will not receive messages from them
- The list of the unseen - this list records contacts that will not see that you are online. However, all messages from these contacts will be delivered.
- List of those who see it - this list shows those contacts that will see your status, even if you went to the network invisible
At registration it is enough to specify the password for the new account and the code from the picture. The received UIN and password will be automatically added to the list of accounts. The ability to register a new ICQ account will be available from the context menu, only if you do not have all three accounts.
How does the anti-spam filter work?
When someone not on your list sends you a message for the first time, the anti-spam filter sends the question to which it needs to respond. If the answer to the question was correct, then the filter allows this contact to communicate with you, if not - you do not even know that you were trying to disturb.
In Jimm'e, you can display a list of phantom contacts (you need to enable the "Show remote contacts" setting) and even delete contacts from this list. Phantom contacts in the list are placed in a separate group, and also marked with the letter [f]
In the future, it is planned to upload your avatar to the server so that all ICQ users can see it.
The list of servers is specified in the network settings. Servers are entered in one line separated by commas:
login.icq.com, login.oscar.aol.com, ibucp-vip-d.blue.aol.com
At connection Jimm sorts out servers from the list since the very first. If you can connect through a server, then it is immediately added to the top of the list in order to start the connection from this server the next time
Stable Release 0.5.1 (Release Date: 2006/10/31)
| Direct download to cell phone
To download and install the Jimm client directly to the cellular, open the built-in Internet browser of your cellular, go to it at wap.jimm.org and select the version to download
| Upload to computer
The download assistant will allow you to select the desired version of the program for your cellular and download it to your computer. Then you can install it on the cellular through the bluetooth, cable or infrared port
Run the Load Assistant
| Uploading a large archive
The archive contains many variants of the Jimm program for all possible supported platforms, as well as the source code of the program:
Current test version 0.6.0beta (nightly build)
The test version contains all the latest innovations that will be included in the next release. But it can also contain errors. Do not expect this version to work without failures. If you find a bug in the test version, write about it to the developers in the forum.
To download the test version directly to the mobile, go to the WAP-browser of the cellular at jimm.org/wap and go to the "Test version" link.
Full version + animated smileys *
|Cellular with MIDP2 support:||jimm-MIDP2-ani.zip|
|Siemens (series 65-75):||jimm-SIEMENS2-ani.zip|
* Animated smileys require at least 1 MB of free memory for Java applications
Full version with static smiles
|Cellular with MIDP2 support:||jimm-MIDP2-full.zip|
|Siemens (series 65-75):||jimm-SIEMENS2-full.zip|
|Others with MIDP1 support||jimm-DEFAULT-full.zip|
"Lightweight" version without modules
|Cellular with MIDP2 support:||jimm-MIDP2-light.zip|
|Siemens (series 65-75):||jimm-SIEMENS2-light.zip|
|Others with MIDP1 support||jimm-DEFAULT-light.zip|
Sources of the test version
|jimm_src.7z - 7z-archive||jimm_src.7z|
|jimm_src.zip - ZIP archive||jimm_src.zip|
|trunk.tar.gz - GZ archive from SVN||trunk.tar.gz|
For unpacking archives under MS Windows, you can use the 7-zip archiver: www.7-zip.org
Previous versions of sourceforge.net .
- At startup, my cell phone restarts. I put the version with animated smiles.
- At boot, Jimm writes: "No memory to load emotions images!". After that smilies do not work
- I put Jimm and can not enter into some settings. And when connecting, it gives an error that the port is not configured properly
- Before some contacts in my list there is an icon (f). These contacts are always offline. Where did they come from?
- Why are the smilies in Jimm so small? Why can not developers build a version with large animated koloboks?
Issues by version 0.6.0beta
- When connecting Jimm gives an error "The packet of the disconnected channel is not processed (# 135.1)"
- My cell at connection gives error 121 (or 118). I've never been able to connect
- I have GPRS (because I can climb on WAP-sites through GPRS) and Jimm does not want to connect and always gives errors
- Why do I have numbers on my Jimm's contact list instead of "nicknames"?
- When the program is running or at boot, my cell phone is rebooted or disconnected
- I go into the settings, change some options, save the changes, but the settings are not saved. What to do?
- Sometimes messages come that can not be read. they consist of incomprehensible symbols
- Jimm always writes that the wrong password when connected. Entered the password many times, but nothing helps.
- Jimm spends a lot of traffic
- When using Jimm'a the battery charge of my phone is consumed faster. This is normal?
- Why after several attempts to connect there is an error. Trying is exhausted # 114?
- Jimm'a hangs when you boot right after power on. What to do?
- Why is there a constant error during the connection? I / O error # 120?
- Why do my messages sometimes fail to reach the addressees or the messages do not reach me?
- Why are some of my contacts painted gray and they disappear from the contact list the next time they connect?
- Put Jimm on the Nokia 6230i. Everything works, but there are no sounds and vibro does not work
At startup, my cell phone restarts. I put the version with animated smiles.It is possible that there is not enough memory on the cell phone. It is necessary to try to deliver the version with usual smiles.
At boot, Jimm writes: "No memory to load emotions images!". After that smilies do not workOn the cell phone there is not enough memory to load animated emoticons. It is necessary to deliver the version with usual smiles.
I put Jimm and can not enter into some settings. And when connecting, it gives an error that the port is not configured properlyThis was due to the fact that Jimm incorrectly took the old settings. You must first remove Jimm, and then put it again.
Before some contacts in my list there is an icon (f). These contacts are always offline. Where did they come from?These are the so-called phantom contacts - those contacts that were once on the list or for which authorization was requested. They are still stored on the ICQ server and you can delete them (once again, for sure).
To prevent these contacts from appearing in the list, you must disable the display of remote contacts in the settings.
Why are the smilies in Jimm so small? Why can not developers build a version with large animated koloboks?The fact is that ICQ Ltd. has the exclusive right to use large koloboks in instant messaging clients. Developers Jimm'a do not have the right to insert these emoticons in your client.
When connecting Jimm gives an error "The packet of the disconnected channel is not processed (# 135.1)"It is necessary to enable the "Safe Login" setting in the network settings, or to install the Jimm version no older than 0.5.1
My cell at connection gives error 121 (or 118). I've never been able to connectThis means that GPRS-Internet is not working on the cellular. In this case, you need to do the following:
- Check if the GPRS Internet service is activated by the mobile operator. If not, then you need to activate it.
- Configure GPRS-Internet on the cellular.
- If you are sure that GPRS-Internet is configured correctly and Jimm did not work, try to enable the settings "Permanent connection" and "Asynchronous transfer"
I have GPRS (because I can climb on WAP-sites through GPRS) and Jimm does not want to connect and always gives errorsThe WAP-browser uses GPRS-WAP. And for Jimm's work, it's GPRS-Internet that is needed. How to configure it is described in the previous section of the FAQ.
Why do I have numbers on my Jimm's contact list instead of "nicknames"?It's all because you make contacts in Miranda. Miranda does not fill the "Nick" field in the contact list, so only UINs are displayed. Solve this problem in one of two ways:
- Go to http://go.icq.com/ and rename those contacts that are displayed as numbers.
- Select to view the information for each contact. After that, the contact name will be renamed automatically.
When the program is running or at boot, my cell phone is rebooted or disconnectedSuch things happen because of errors in the firmware of the cellular. Developers Jimm'a can not fix this problem. It remains to be hoped that in the next version of the firmware of the cellular this problem will be eliminated.
I go into the settings, change some options, save the changes, but the settings are not saved. What to do?Most likely the Jimm's data warehouse is full. You must clear the data store (as described here)
Sometimes messages come that can not be read. they consist of incomprehensible symbolsIn this case, you need to enable the "Win1251 encoding" item in the interface settings.
Jimm always writes that the wrong password when connected. Entered the password many times, but nothing helps.This can happen for several reasons:
- You have specified a password longer than 8 characters. Specify only the first 8 characters of the password.
- You have been "hijacked" by the asi number. This can be verified by booting from another client. In this case, you need to use the service of restoring the ICQ-account on the ICQ site: https://www.icq.com/password/
Jimm spends a lot of trafficMost likely in the settings in the "Connection Type" is "Http". It is necessary to switch to "Socket". "Http" should be selected only if the cellular does not support Socket connections.
When using Jimm'a the battery charge of my phone is consumed faster. This is normal?Yes, since running Jimm, your phone uses a lot of CPU, memory and networking capabilities, so increased battery consumption is inevitable.
Why after several attempts to connect there is an error. Trying is exhausted # 114?If you connect to the ICQ server too often, it can impose a ban on connecting to this ICQ number within 10-20 minutes. Try again after a while.
Jimm'a hangs when you boot right after power on. What to do?Most likely the Jimm's data warehouse was overflowed or corrupted, its cleaning will help in any way.
Why is there a constant error during the connection? I / O error # 120?This error occurs when Jimm can not access the data network. Make sure the availability of GPRS services (check the balance of the personal account, the signal level). Verify that the java application access profiles are correctly configured for the Internet. Make sure that Jimm was not banned from accessing the Internet. Perhaps this error may disappear after the phone is rebooted (turned off and on).
- On Siemens x65-75 phones, this error can occur if you do not break the active WAP connection before using Jimm. In standby mode, this connection is indicated by the GPRS> icon. To break the WAP connection, use the standard WAP browser.
- If the connection process indicator constantly stops at 10% and after a while error # 120 appears, then try to enable the additional connection in Jimm's network settings. This is true for some operators, which change the internal IP-address of subscribers with each new packet connection.