How to sign an application through the SymbianSigned OnLine service in the absence of a personal certificate
A certificate is an electronic document entitling applications to be applied (installed) in the Symbian OS9.x environment for a specific end user. The document puts forward certain requirements for software developers, depending on the development of operating systems and Nokia hardware, which forms a standard condition for determining the term of use - the validity period of the certificate. The certificate contains information identifying the holder (the Symbian company) from which the certificate comes. It is published by certification centers and issued by Symbian.
Immediately I will clarify that this type of signature is only suitable for Open signed applications. Therefore, do not try to sign a commercial software, all kinds of hacked software, etc. via OnLine signature. This service is designed to sign free software. At the time of writing this article, I can say from myself that while this service is new, it is not yet the free software developers have switched to the Open signed system, so some applications may be denied a subscription. But over time, this service will become for many a solution to the problem with application certification.
In this article, we will learn how to sign our OnLine applications through the SymbianSigned website. This type of subscription does not require you to have a personal certificate!
The signing process itself on the SymbianSigned website and sign the application without obtaining a certificate.
Let's conduct OnLine-signature via the SymbianSigned website using the example of the RotateMe v. Application. 2.01 beta2.
1. Prepare a signed file for the following type:
- Unpack the application if you have it in the archive. You can transfer and sign a file only in sis format.
- Rename the file if it contains a lot of additional characters in the form of numbers and underscores, the name should contain a Latin alphabet and numbers.
2. We will follow the link to the website of the OnLine-signature (It is recommended to use Internet Explorer)
3. At the bottom of the web page we see a form to fill in:
- In the IMEI field, carefully enter the IMEI of your phone (you can view your IMEI by dialing the phone code * # 06 #).
- In the field Email * enter your real-life mailbox.
- In the Application * field, click the Browse button, find our application on the hard disk through the explorer, click Open. Let the application appear in the string.
- Under the Capability information line, click [Select all] . After that, automatically ticked off in all the lower points of a tick.
- Enter the verification code displayed in the figure.
- Put a tick next to Accept legal agreement * .
- We check the correctness of the filled fields. Click the Send button.
4. If everything is done correctly, all fields are filled, the application file meets the requirements of the OnLine-signature service, then at the top of the site you will see the message:
- SUCCESS: Your .sis file was uplaoded successfully. You must be required to confirm your request. You must have received the following information:
5. An email will be sent to your email address containing a link to the confirmation.
6. Click on this link in the letter or copy to the browser. Go to the address specified in it.
As a result of the transition, the following message should appear at the top of the website window:
- SUCCESS: Your application rotateMe201beta2.sis signing request has been submitted successfully. When your application has been signed it will be sent to you.
7. An email with a link to download the signed application will be sent to your email address.
8. Click on this link in the letter window or copy to the browser. Follow the link and download your signed file.
9. Connect the phone to the PC and use the PC Suite program to install our signed application into the smartphone.
Emails arrive immediately, replies on the server also occur immediately upon clicking on the links, the whole procedure takes about 10 minutes.
The signed file is larger by the size of the source file by about 1-3Kb.
Note: The Service Signature OnLine works only on weekdays (Monday - Friday).