PSGroove - FAQ for dummies PSGroove (hacking PS3)
At the moment, you can run games downloaded from the Internet that are on a flash drive or an external and internal hard drive.
And in the near future there will be a launch from pigs, they are already writing software.
I will try to make at least some instructions for those who are interested in the PS3 jailbreak. It's about open source solution - PSGroove. All this may seem complicated to the teapots, but believe that everything is so simple that this “hack” seems absolutely ridiculous.
First, it is worth explaining how everything is done, and what it is.
Jailbreak is performed by connecting a special device to the PS3 USB port and performing simple actions. But all the magic comes at the expense of software stitched in this USB device , and not hardware. This firmware can be installed on one of the many ready-made devices. People who are friends with a soldering iron will be able to assemble such a device on their own, put it in 300 rubles.
What iron is supported?
Teapots better go directly to the next question.
The firmware is installed on the AVR microcontroller family with hardware USB. Here is a list of 100% AVRock workers:
- Theoretically, and many others.
This means that any USB device / board based on these microcontrollers is suitable, even if it's a coffee maker with a USB port.
There are also ports on the PIC18F2550, Nokia N900, Dingoo A320, etc. Everything goes to the fact that PSGroove is ported to everything that you can. But I only write about what I know. Therefore, this topic will be discussed only about the AVR.
What finished devices are guaranteed to fit?
There are several popular off-the-shelf solutions. But at the time of this writing, it is almost impossible to buy them - it was all over, which is not surprising. So, you fit:
- Teensy (version 1 or 2, as well as Teensy Pins) - $ 18, order online here:
- Teensy ++ (version 1 or 2, as well as Teensy ++ Pins) - $ 24, order online here:
- AT90USBKEY - you can buy in Moscow, expensive, but affordable:
- AVR-USB162 - only 500 rubles in Moscow, delivery by mail across Russia is possible:
- USBTiny Mkii programmer - $ 28, I have already been very happy with it for a long time already, order here:
If you can add to this list - write.
How to assemble the device yourself?
This question is not for dummies. You will need:
- One of the above microcontrollers. For example, AT90USB162 - in Moscow stores it costs from 150 to 250 rubles.
- Quartz resonator at 8 or 16 megahertz.
- A pair of 10 pF capacitors. However, any suitable from 10 pF to 22 pF.
- Condenser 1 mF.
- Something to connect to USB - USB plug or miniUSB socket.
- Very desirable: two buttons to switch the device to the firmware update mode.
- Desirable: capacitors to stabilize the power supply for 1mF and 0.1mF
- Desirable: 22 ohm resistors, for protection. It is possible without them ...
- On request: two LEDs for indicating operation and resistors for them from 200 Ohm to 1000 Ohm (depends on the LEDs, better take 1000 Ohms).
- It is imperative: straight arms. The microcontroller is usually in a TQFP package, it is advisable to etch the board for it.
Here is my version of the scheme (based on Teensy):
Firmware for this scheme can be downloaded here: tyts .
So, we have a device. How to install PSGroove on it?
In most of these microcontrollers (including AT90USB162), a bootloader is installed at the factory, which allows you to update the firmware without additional equipment. Further instructions are written with a view to what you have on your Windows computer:
1) Download and install the FLIP program, link: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_do...aller-3.4.1.exe
Other versions are here: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_ca...sp?tool_id=3886
2) Connect your device to the USB port of the computer.
3) It is necessary to transfer the device to the firmware update mode. Usually this is done like this: hold down the HWB button, press reset, wait a few seconds, release the HWB. On some devices this is done with just one button (for example, Teensy). If there are no such buttons on the device, then simply (yes, it is just) close the corresponding contacts to the ground.
4) If the previous step is correct, Windows will detect the new device. Install the driver for it, they are in the “USB” folder, which is located in the folder where you put FLIP.
5) Run FLIP itself. This window will appear:
I numbered the buttons in the image for convenience.
6) Press the button with the microcircuit (button 1) and select your model of the microcontroller. In my diagram, this is AT90USB162. If you do not know the model, then look at the board - it is written on the chip.
7) Click the cable button (button 2), select "USB" and click "Open." If everything is done correctly, then "USB ON" will appear at the bottom right.
8) Press the left button with a notebook (button 3) and select the * .hex file with the firmware.
9) Check that the checkboxes are as in the picture - Erase, Program, Verify.
10) Click the "Run" button (button 4), the process will go. It usually takes about a second.
11) If everything is done correctly, then the inscription "Verify PASS" will appear at the bottom left, and the lights next to the checkmarks will be green.
12) Done! =) Disconnect the device from USB and reconnect. In the system, it will only be seen as a USB hub, nothing more. This is normal.
Where to get the firmware? Which one to choose?
Immediately I will say that if you want to run backups of games, then you need the PSGroove patched firmware. All links I cite patched versions.
I think it’s worth starting with the source code.
You can download it here: tyts .
To compile, you need to install WinAVR: http://winavr.sourceforge.net/
From the source it is very easy to build the firmware for any microcontroller of the AVR family, just edit the Makefile. Do not forget to specify the frequency correctly, i.e. in accordance with the established quartz. In other files, you can easily change the place and method of connecting the LEDs, if you need it.
If someone does not know: to compile the firmware, go to the directory where the Makefile is located and type the command "make" on the command line.
And for those who do not understand, here are the ready-made firmware for you:
- Teensy ++
- Teensy2 ++
- USBTiny MKII
One archive: tyts .
Once again, for my scheme, which is higher: tyts .
If anything, I checked only under USBTiny MKII. Will not work - write. I could easily make a mistake and confuse something.
And how to use it?
1) Turn off the power to the PS3 switch at the back, then turn it back on.
2) We stick our device into the USB port of the console, if they have not already done so.
3) Turn on the PS3 with the power button and immediately press the eject button.
4) If it worked, the red LED on the PSGroove device (if it exists) will go out, and the green one (again, if it exists) will light up.
5) When the PS3 boots up, go to the game menu. There should appear new items, including "Install Package Files". With it, you can install homebrew programs from a USB flash drive. For example, "Backup Manager"