12 most valuable skills for working in IT-companies
Today, an IT professional needs much more than IT systems knowledge or the ability to write code. Today, for most companies, information technology is a supporting procedure that allows to increase the productivity and quality of the main production processes. Ideally, each process requires either a person or an outsourcing company that provides its work. In practice, as a rule, IT staff is used with functional overload. This leads to the fact that the IT specialist (especially in small companies) must have a very wide range of knowledge and skills.
Bentley University, together with the startup Burning Glass, studied the big data and analyzed about 25 million vacancies in the United States. As a result of this study, a list of 12 skills was compiled that are most appreciated by IT employers.
12. Modernization of work processes
- Keywords: workflow modernization, business management
- Average salary: $ 82,213
- Growth in demand for this skill: 69%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 209 771
Modernization is one of the varieties of business process management and the organization of this management.
- Keywords: mentoring support, employee training
- Average salary: $ 92,885
- Growth in demand for this skill: 73%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 209 872
Many companies have formal training programs, but they still need leaders who can teach and share experiences.
- Keywords: cooperation, mutual assistance, teamwork
- Average salary: $ 85,984
- Growth in demand for this skill: 88%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 225 883
Today, collaboration means not only the desire and ability to work in a team, but also the fluency of interaction software: Google applications for working with documents and the Slack program for communication.
9. Decision making
- Keywords: decision making, search for solutions
- The average salary: $ 76,603
- Growth in demand for this skill: 87%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 208 303
Even if you do not have to occupy a leadership position, the employer wants to be sure that you are good at making decisions.
- Keywords: sales
- Average salary: $ 70,470
- Growth in demand for this skill: 57%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 890 710
It’s worth adding this keyword to your resume, even if your work only indirectly affects sales improvement.
- Keywords: SAP ownership, SAP knowledge
- Average salary: $ 76,178
- Growth in demand for this skill: 39%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 307,728
SAP financial software from a developer of the same name is used in many offices. Companies are looking for employees who know how to use SAP business applications.
- Keywords: Oracle ownership, use of Oracle, knowledge of Oracle databases
- Average salary: $ 90,557
- Growth in demand for this skill: 56%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 565 002
Oracle, as well as SAP, produces software for corporations, and it is desirable to be able to work in the databases created by this developer.
- Keywords: mathematical analysis, mathematical vein
- Average salary: $ 75,719
- Growth in demand for this skill: 65%
- Total jobs mentioning this skill: 261,243
It does not matter whether you have a mathematical profession or not. If you have at least some abilities in this area, let me know in the summary.
- Keywords: knowledge of SQL, ownership of SQL and Oracle
- Average salary: $ 93,154
- Growth in demand for this skill: 49%
- Total jobs mentioning this skill: 726 698
SQL is a non-procedural programming language for working with databases. Oracle’s most popular SQL-based database makes it better to mention ownership of both. Although SQL systems are also made by Microsoft and IBM.
3. Data analysis
- Keywords: analysis and data processing, work with big data
- Average salary: $ 76,384
- Growth in demand for this skill: 82%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 278,514
In the business sphere, the concept of big data is very popular, and the search for experts in this field is given with great difficulty. It is best to position yourself as a “data analysis and processing specialist.”
2. Attracting customers
- Keywords: customer acquisition, customer network expansion, enterprise development, new order attraction
- Average salary: $ 80,887
- Growth in demand for this skill: 50%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 475 525
This skill usually refers to working in sales or marketing, but it can also be useful in other professional fields. Mention it worth it anyway.
1. Social media
- Keywords: social media experience, social network management, social network management, SMM
- Average salary: $ 62,680
- Growth in demand for this skill: 160%
- Total number of vacancies mentioning this skill: 115 004
Today, each company is looking for new ways to interact and communicate with its customers, partners, employees and shareholders. Everyone needs accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, WeChat, Periscope, and on any other social platforms. Knowledge of any of them (and better than several) will be your plus.