12 most valuable skills for working in IT companies
Today, an IT professional needs much more than knowledge of IT systems or the ability to write code. Today, for most companies, information technology is a supportive procedure that allows increasing the productivity and quality of the main manufacturing processes. Ideally, each process requires either a person or an outsourcing company to provide its work. In practice, as a rule, IT staff is used with functional overload. This leads to the fact that an IT specialist (especially in small companies) must have a very wide range of knowledge and skills.
Bentley University, in conjunction with the startup Burning Glass, has studied large data and analyzed about 25 million jobs in the US. Based on the results of this research, a list of 12 skills was compiled, which are most appreciated by employers in the field of IT.
12. Modernization of work processes
- Keywords: modernization of work processes, business management
- Average salary: $ 82,213
- The increase in demand for this skill: 69%
- Total number of vacancies that mention this skill: 209 771
Modernization is one of the varieties of managing business processes and the organization of this management.
- Keywords: mentoring support, employee training
- Average salary: $ 92,885
- The increase in demand for this skill: 73%
- Total number of jobs that mention this skill: 209 872
Many companies have formal training programs, but they still need leaders who can teach and share their experiences.
- Keywords: cooperation, mutual assistance, teamwork
- Average salary: $ 85,984
- The increase in demand for this skill: 88%
- Total number of jobs that mention this skill: 225 883
Today, collaboration involves not only the desire and ability to work in a team, but also the fluency in the software for interaction: Google applications for working with documents and the Slack program for communication.
- Keywords: decision making, solutions search
- Average salary: $ 76,603
- The increase in demand for this skill: 87%
- The total number of jobs that mention this skill: 208,303
Even if you do not have to hold a leadership position, the employer wants to be sure that you are good at making decisions.
- Keywords: sales
- Average salary: $ 70,470
- The growth in demand for this skill: 57%
- The total number of jobs that mention this skill: 890 710
Add this keyword to your resume is worthwhile, even if your work only indirectly affects sales improvement.
- Keywords: SAP knowledge, knowledge of SAP
- Average salary: $ 76,178
- The growth in demand for this skill: 39%
- Total number of jobs that mention this skill: 307 728
Software for SAP financial transactions from the same developer is used in many offices. Companies are looking for employees who know how to use SAP business applications.
- Keywords: Oracle ownership, Oracle usage, knowledge of Oracle databases
- Average salary: $ 90,557
- The growth in demand for this skill: 56%
- Total number of jobs mentioning this skill: 565,002
Oracle, as well as SAP, produces software for corporations, and it is desirable to be able to work in databases created by this developer.
- Keywords: mathematical analysis, mathematical thread
- Average salary: $ 75,719
- The increase in demand for this skill: 65%
- The total number of vacancies that mention this skill: 261 243
It does not matter if you have a math specialty or not. If you have at least some abilities in this area, let know about it in the resume.
- Keywords: knowledge of SQL, SQL and Oracle
- Average salary: $ 93,154
- Growth in demand for this skill: 49%
- Total number of jobs that mention this skill: 726 698
SQL is a non-procedural programming language for working with databases. The most popular databases based on SQL are made by Oracle, so it's better to mention ownership of both. Although SQL systems are also made by Microsoft and IBM.
3. Data analysis
- Keywords: analysis and data processing, work with large data
- Average salary: $ 76,384
- The increase in demand for this skill: 82%
- Total number of jobs that mention this skill: 278 514
In the field of business, the concept of large data is very popular, and the search for experts in this field is given with great difficulty. It is best to position yourself as an "expert in analysis and data processing."
2. Attracting customers
- Keywords: attracting customers, expanding the client network, developing the enterprise, attracting new orders
- Average salary: $ 80,887
- The increase in demand for this skill: 50%
- Total number of vacancies that mention this skill: 475 525
This skill usually refers to work in the field of sales or marketing, but it can also be useful in other professional fields. It should be mentioned in any case.
1. Social Media
- Keywords: experience with social media, social network management, social network management, SMM
- Average salary: $ 62,680
- Growth of demand for this skill: 160%
- The total number of jobs that mention this skill: 115 004
Today, every company is looking for new ways of interacting and communicating with its customers, partners, employees and shareholders. Everyone needs accounts in Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, WeChat, Periscope and on any other social platforms. Knowing any of them (or better than a few) will be your plus.