Ways to get rid of accent in English
Accent (from the Latin accentus "stress, intonation, raising the voice"; borrowed through French accent, but adjusted for German pronunciation; first noted in Russian on May 30, 1711): a distinctive feature of the language, the people.
English teachers are not tired of arguing that being shy of your accent is stupid and not necessary. We at shram.kiev.ua absolutely agree with this. But this does not mean that you can not try new things or engage in self-improvement. If you always wanted to talk like a gentleman, Doctor Nou or superspy James Bond from Agent 007 - go for it!
Choose the accent you want to talk with.
Do you like the classic sound of the English accent or the way they say it in Hollywood?
From this will depend on which programs you need to watch and with which people to communicate. If you prefer, you can even choose the accent of a particular region.
- Video about 21 accents in English - A well-known video of English theater actress Amy Walker, in which she very plausibly imitates the accents of various regions of the United Kingdom, the United States and other countries.
- 24 accents in English - This kid conquered the world a few years ago by shooting a video in which he invents stories and dialogues for each accent he owns.
- The difference between British and American accents - This video is a joint work of YouTube-teachers of English from America and Great Britain, in which they explain the main differences between accents.
- Difference in the pronunciation of vowel sounds - If you are ready to dig deeper, sort out the position of the lips and tongue while pronouncing vowel sounds.
Find your teacher
If you have decided on your preferences - it's time to find your master Yoda.
For British English, we recommend these channels:
- Minoo Anglo Link - Manu gives lessons in British pronunciation and prepares for international exams, for example, for IELTS General and IELTS Academic.
- Speak English with Mister Duncan - Mr. Duncan is a vigorous middle-aged Englishman who created his educational channel more than 8 years ago. In addition to the accent, he teaches living language: idioms, spoken words, common abbreviations.
- BBC Learn English is the channel of the largest British television and radio broadcasting network. where English is taught for all sorts of situations. Among the teachers, including Shakespeare himself.
Work on bugs
Many of us at school have been taught to speak wrong. Naughty, noble teachers from YouTube will help you make your speech literate and natural.
- Popular mistakes in the pronunciation of words - How do you pronounce “bow”? Like “low” or “cow”? Jill is a teacher with many years of experience. In this video, she examines the mistakes that her students often make.
- Popular mistakes in the pronunciation of words - In his videos, Alex is trying to create an atmosphere of a live lesson. In this particular case, he interprets the words, in the pronunciation of which students are most often mistaken.
Learn local expressions, slang
Even if you have learned grammar regularly and honestly repeated dialogues from a textbook, this is not enough to communicate with a native speaker. In the USA and Great Britain there are dialects, slang and stable expressions, oh how difficult it is to deal with them without preparation.
- British Slang - Gay Americans from the Watch Mojo channel make out popular British words using the example of famous films.
- British idioms - A bearded man spent as much as 90 minutes discussing common idioms.
- American slang - a positive teacher from America has become so popular in Russia that it has started a Vkontakte page.
- American Idioms - 101 American Idioms from the Channel Learn English 360.
Dive into the culture
The most pleasant way to learn a language in the opinion of our editorial staff. Listen to songs, watch movies and TV shows. Pay attention to the cast and the country of origin - this will help you choose a movie with the right accent.
We have prepared for you the best of them:
- 13 songs for perfect English pronunciation - study the list and arrange a karaoke evening with friends.
- 10 chic TV series for those who learn English - from funny cartoons for beginners to "Game of Thrones."
- 45 films and TV shows for those who learn English - so you will expand your vocabulary and learn to perceive different accents.
Via adme.ru & wiki