Ways to get rid of the accent in English
Accent (from Latin accentus "accentuation, intonation, voice enhancement", borrowed through French accent, but corrected for German pronunciation, in Russian first recorded on May 30, 1711): a distinctive feature of the language, the people.
Teachers of English do not get tired of saying that you're being silly about your accent and you do not need it. We in shram.kiev.ua absolutely agree with this. But this does not mean that you can not try new things or practice self-improvement. If you always wanted to say how the gentleman Doctor Know or the super agent James Bond of Agent 007 - go for it!
Choose the accent you want to speak
Do you prefer the classical sounding of an English accent or something like they say in Hollywood?
From this it will depend which programs you need to watch and with what people to communicate. If you want, you can even choose the accent of a particular region.
- Video about 21 accents in English - Widely known video of British theater actress Amy Walker, in which she quite plausibly imitates accents of different regions of Great Britain, the USA and other countries.
- 24 accents in English - This kid conquered the world a few years ago by shooting a video in which he on the run concocts stories and dialogues for every accent he owns.
- The difference between British and American accents - This video is a joint work of YouTube-teachers of English from America and the UK, in which they explain the main differences between the accents.
- Difference in the pronunciation of vowels - If you are willing to dig deeper, deal with the position of the lips and tongue while uttering vowel sounds.
Find your teacher
If you have decided on your preferences, it's time to find your master Yoda.
For British English, we recommend these channels:
- Minoo Anglo Link - Manu gives lessons in British pronunciation and prepares for international exams, for example, to IELTS General and IELTS Academic.
- Speak English with Mister Duncan - Mr. Duncan is a cheerful middle-aged Englishman who created his educational channel more than 8 years ago. In addition to the accent, he teaches the living language: idioms, spoken words, common abbreviations.
- BBC Learn English is the channel of the largest British television and radio network. where they teach English for all sorts of situations. Among the teachers, including Shakespeare himself.
Work on errors
Many of us at school were taught to speak wrong. Nesteshno, noble teachers from YouTube will help you make your speech literate and natural.
- Popular mistakes in pronunciation of words - How do you pronounce "bow"? How is "low" or "cow"? Jill is a teacher with many years of experience. In this video, she sorts out the mistakes that her students often allow.
- Popular errors in the pronunciation of words - In his videos, Alex tries to create an atmosphere of a live lesson. In this particular case, he parses the words, in the pronunciation of which students are most often mistaken.
Learn local expressions, slang
Even if you have correctly learned the grammar and honestly repeated the dialogues from the textbook - this is not enough to communicate with the native speaker. In the US and the UK there are dialects, slang and stable expressions, to deal with which without preparation is not easy.
- British slang - Funny Americans from the Watch Mojo channel dismantle popular British words on the example of famous films.
- British idioms - A bearded man devoted as many as 90 minutes to discussing common idioms.
- American slang - a positive teacher from America became so popular in Russia that he started the page Vkontakte.
- American idioms are 101 American idioms from the channel Learn English 360.
Immerse yourself in culture
The most pleasant way to learn the language according to our editorial staff. Listen to the songs, watch movies and TV shows. Pay attention to the cast and the country of origin - this will help you choose the movie with the right accent.
We have prepared for you the best of them:
- 13 songs for perfect English pronunciation - learn the list and have a karaoke evening with friends.
- 10 chic series for those who learn English - from funny cartoons for beginners to the "Game of Thrones".
- 45 films and serials for those who learn English - so you expand your vocabulary and learn to perceive different accents.
Via adme.ru & wiki