Running aquarium or the right aquarium
CHEMISTRY - definitely not.
If you have recently taken a great interest in aquariums and decided to create a small piece of wildlife in your home and put your first aquarium - this article is for you.
In it, I tried to give a few basic tips that you will need when starting your first aquarium.
- 1) Do not immediately buy a small aquarium, take at least 60-80 liter, if, of course, at home there is a place for it. Larger aquariums are more resistant to temperature and chemical changes. Recently, the trend is for nano aquariums (aquariums up to 20 liters), but it is better to start with a larger aquarium.
- 2) Wash the filtering elements of your filter only in aquarium water (not in the aquarium itself), for example, in a bucket or basin, this will allow you to save those bacterial colonies that in turn help you in the fight against ammonia and nitrite. Tap water can kill them, which for some time will disrupt the biological work of your filter.
- 3) Do not forget and do not be lazy to replace every week 20-25% of water, this will allow you to fight with nitrates in your aquarium. And remember that you should not, as 80% of people in our country thought, pour out all the water once a year and boil the soil, it’s enough to replace 20-25% of the water with fresh water, which will ensure a long and happy life of your aquarium.
- 4) Do not overfeed fish, it is very important. First of all, overfeeding harms the fish itself (here you can look at people, overeating hasn’t benefited anyone yet), and secondly, not eaten food starts to rot in the aquarium, which significantly spoils the water quality.
- 5) Always check the compatibility of the purchased fish. You must admit that nobody saw an open-air cage with wolves, penguins and rabbits living together in a zoo. In the aquarium just as well.
- 6) Do not release a new fish from the bag or bottle directly into the aquarium, first place this bag in the water to even out the temperature, then add 50-100 ml of water from the aquarium into the bag, the bottle - this is done in order to level the parameters water. It is better to do this alignment within 20-30 minutes, no less.
- 7) Before buying fish, inspect it very carefully for damage, cloudiness, sores and other abnormal condition.
- 8) Use the quarantine aquarium for newly arrived fish, this will help to keep the fish that you already have. The question is especially acute when the fish is not cheap, and in any case, the fish after some time become full members of the family and we, aquarists, need to take care of their health. So just in case keep a quarantine aquarium where you can watch a new fish for a couple of weeks for its health.
- 9) Run the aquarium consistently, so as not to overload the filtration system. The filtration system as a human body, if it is trained gradually, it will give a greater result than if you immediately give a greater load. Colonies of bacteria develop gradually with increasing load, so do not immediately run all the fish that you have identified yourself.
- 10) Do not believe the rule of 1 cm fish = 1 liter of water, who invented it and when, but this rule is not entirely correct.
- 11) Do not get carried away using chemicals, especially if you do not fully understand their effects and the consequences of their use.
It is worth remembering that the path to success in aquarism is through scooping up new and new information through books, magazines, forums and aquarium portals that help us to succeed in our hobby.