Running an aquarium or the right Aquarium
CHEMISTRY - definitely not.
If you recently became interested in aquariums and decided to create a small piece of wildlife at home and put your first aquarium - this article is for you.
In it, I tried to give some basic tips that you will need when starting up your first aquarium.
- 1) Do not immediately buy a small aquarium, take at least 60-80 liter, if, of course, at home there is a place for it. Large aquariums are more resistant to temperature and chemical changes. Recently, the course of nano-aquariums (aquariums up to 20 liters) has been fashionable, but it is better, nevertheless, to start with a larger volume aquarium.
- 2) Wash the filter elements of your filter only in aquarium water (not in the aquarium itself), for example in a bucket or basin, this will allow you to save those colonies of bacteria, which in turn help you in the fight against ammonia and nitrites. Tap water can kill them, which for some time will disrupt the biological function of your filter.
- 3) Do not forget and do not be lazy to change 20-25% of water every week, this will allow you to fight nitrates in your aquarium. And remember that it is not necessary, as 80% of people in our country thought, to pour all the water once a year and boil the soil, it is enough to replace 20-25% of water with fresh water, which will ensure a long and happy life for your aquarium.
- 4) Do not overfeed the fish, it is very important. Firstly, overfeeding harms the fish itself (here you can look at people, overeating has not worked for anyone yet), and secondly, not eaten food begins to rot in the aquarium, which significantly spoils the quality of the water.
- 5) Always check the compatibility of the purchased fish. Agree, after all, no one saw an aviary in the zoo with wolves, penguins and rabbits living together. In the aquarium just as well.
- 6) Do not let new fish out of the bag or bottle directly into the aquarium, first place this bag in water in order to equalize the temperature, then add 50-100 ml of water from the aquarium to the bag, bottle - this is done in order to align the parameters water. It is better to do this alignment within 20-30 minutes, at least.
- 7) Before buying a fish, inspect it very carefully for damage, turbidity, sores and other abnormal conditions.
- 8) Use a quarantine aquarium for newly arrived fish, this will help preserve the fish that you already have. The question is especially acute when the fish is expensive, and in any case, the fish after some time become full members of the family and it is for us aquarists to take care of their health. Therefore, just in case, keep a quarantine aquarium in which you could watch a new fish for a couple of weeks regarding its health.
- 9) Run the aquarium sequentially so as not to overload the filtration system. The filtration system as a human body, if you train it gradually, it will give a greater result than if you immediately give a large load. Colonies of bacteria develop gradually with increasing load, so you should not immediately launch all the fish that you have identified for yourself.
- 10) Do not believe the rule 1 cm of fish = 1 liter of water, who invented it and when, but this rule is not entirely correct.
- 11) Do not get carried away using chemicals, especially if you do not fully understand their effect and the consequences of their use.
It is worth remembering that the path to success in the aquarium industry is through scooping up new and new information through books, magazines, forums and aquarium portals that help you go to success in our hobby.