Secret combinations of Windows and OSX on your keyboard
The combination of keys (synonyms: hotkey, shortcut, shortcut key, shortcut key, keyboard accelerator, English keyboard shortcut, quick key, access key, hot key) (for software) - a kind of interface with the computing device (computer, calculator), which is the pressing of a button / key (or keyboard shortcut) on the keyboard to which an action is assigned (programmed) - the commands (operations) executed by this system. Typically, it partially duplicates the menu or button interface and serves to significantly speed up the work, as well as to increase the number of possible actions performed by the keyboard. Key combinations are especially widely used in real-time computer games, in which the player's quick response to the development of events is important, in particular, in strategies.
The ⊞ Win button, which can be found on the keyboard of PC-compatible computers, serves not only to launch the "Start" menu. Its use in combination with other keys simplifies the work on the computer and saves considerable time. On the Apple keyboards, the ⌘ Command button is often called "Apple."
We in shram.kiev.ua have compiled a list of features of these buttons, which will certainly be useful to every user of Windows and OSX.
Keyboard layout - an agreement on the correspondence of typographic symbols (letters, numbers, punctuation marks, etc.) to the keyboard keys of a computer keyboard, a typewriter or other device that uses text.
Fn (short for English function) is a modifier key used on many computer keyboards with a compact layout (especially laptops), to combine the functions normally found on individual buttons. On full-size "multimedia" keyboards there is a similar key F-Lock . Basically, it is intended to quickly change the screen and sound settings, such as brightness, contrast and volume, and for that it is pressed simultaneously with some other key.
A computer keyboard is a device that allows a user to enter information into a computer (input device). It is a set of keys (buttons) arranged in a certain order.
- ⊞ Win - open / close the Start menu, in Windows 8.1 - open the previous window;
- ⊞ Win + A - open the Notification Center (in Windows 10);
- ⊞ Win + B - select the first icon in the notification area (then you can switch between the icons with the arrow keys);
- ⊞ Win + Ctrl + B - switch to the program displaying the message in the notification area;
- ⊞ Win + C - show the sidebar "Charm Bar" (in Windows 8 and 8.1), in Windows 10 - call Cortana (if using a supported language);
- ⊞ Win + D - show the desktop (instantly collapse all open windows);
- ⊞ Win + E - open the "Explorer"; In Windows 10, by default, opens the "Quick Access Toolbar";
- ⊞ Win + F - open the "Search for files";
- ⊞ Win + Ctrl + F - open the "Search for computers";
- ⊞ Win + G - show gadgets on top of all windows (only in Windows 7 and Vista); open the game pad in Windows 10;
- ⊞ Win + K - open a new menu "Start" - "Connections" (in Windows 8 and 8.1);
- ⊞ Win + L - change the user or block the workstation;
- ⊞ Win + M - minimize all windows;
- ⊞ Win + ⇧ Shift + M - restore windows after minimizing;
- ⊞ Win + O - turn off the screen rotation (disable reaction to the gyroscope on the tablets);
- ⊞ Win + P - switch the modes of operation to an external monitor / projector (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + Q - open the search panel according to the installed programs (tested in Windows 8);
- ⊞ Win + R - open the "Run" window;
- ⊞ Win + T - switch focus to the taskbar (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + U - open the Accessibility Center;
- ⊞ Win + W - open Windows Ink Workspace (notes, screenshot);
- ⊞ Win + X - open the Windows Mobile Application Center (only for mobile computers in Windows Vista and 7);
- ⊞ Win + Y - open Yahoo! Messenger (if installed).
- ⊞ Win + Pause - open system properties;
- ⊞ Win + F1 - open the Windows Help and Support Center;
- ⊞ Win + 1 ... 0 - start / switch to the program installed in the task bar with the specified sequence number (only in Windows Vista and newer);
- ⊞ Win + ⇧ Shift + 1 ... 0 - run a new instance of the program installed in the task bar with the specified sequence number (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + Ctrl + 1 ... 0 - switch to the last active window of the program, fixed in the task bar with the specified sequence number (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + Alt + 1 ... 0 - open the list of transitions for the program fixed in the task bar with the specified sequence number (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + ↑ Up arrow - expand the window (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + ↓ Down arrow - restore / minimize the window (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + ← or → - switch the window's deployment mode (including between monitors in multi-monitor configurations) (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + ⇧ Shift + ← or → - move the window between monitors in multi-monitor configurations (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + ⇧ Shift + ↑ or ↓ - drag the active window from the top to the bottom of the screen / restore the window size;
- ⊞ Win + Home - minimize / restore all non-opened windows except active (only in Windows 7), go to the top of the web page;
- ⊞ Win + Spacebar - look at the desktop (only in Windows 7) / change the layout (only in Windows 8 and 10);
- ⊞ Win + + - activate the magnifying glass / enlarge the image by 100% (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + - - when the screen magnifier is active, reduce the image by 100% (only in Windows 7 and newer);
- ⊞ Win + Esc - disable the magnifying glass (only in Windows 7 and newer).
Apple keyboard (English Apple Keyboard) is a computer keyboard developed by Apple first for a line of Apple II computers, then for Macintosh computers.
- ⌘ Command + ↑ Up arrow - instantly scrolls up any web page.
- ⌘ Command + ↓ Down arrow - instantly scrolls down any web page.
- ⌘ Command + 1 (2, 3) - Use these keys to conveniently switch between any open tabs in your browser. ⌘ Command + 1 takes you to the first tab, ⌘ Command + 2 takes you to the second tab, and so on.
- ⌥ Option + Delete - will delete words one at a time, rather than one letter. This works in all OS X, regardless of whether you are typing in TextEdit or even when entering a website into the URL string of your browser.
- ⌘ Command + H - quickly hide all open windows from the current active application.
- ⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + T - instantly open the last closed tab in your browser.
- ⌥ Option + ⇧ Shift + Increase volume / Decrease volume - Increase or decrease the volume with much smaller increments.
- Ctrl + ⌘ Command + Space - displays a keyboard with symbols and emoji.
Via wiki & adme.ru