What is a DASH diet and why, according to doctors, is it considered the best for health
For several years in a row, the so-called DASH diet, which is considered the most effective diet for improving all health indicators, has been ranking 1st in the ranking of the best diets for several years in a row.
According to doctors at the National Institutes of Health, the DASH diet scores 3.3 points out of 5 in the Weight Loss Efficiency category and 4.8 out of 5 points in the Health Benefits category.
We figured out what kind of diet and why it is considered one of the best.
What is a DASH diet
DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension - a dietary approach to treating hypertension) is a diet that has been developed specifically to lower blood pressure in hypertension.
However, it later became clear that such a diet solves other important problems: it lowers cholesterol, helps prevent the development of stroke and heart failure, and normalizes weight. She is also recognized as one of the best diets for the prevention of diabetes.
What is the essence of the DASH diet
The diet is balanced in the content of many important nutritional components (calcium, potassium, proteins, plant fibers), which are responsible for the work of the brain and internal organs, as well as for the health of the skin and hair.
It is also convenient that you do not have to track each component individually: it is enough to give preference to those products that we were advised to eat more often in childhood (fruits, vegetables, cereals, protein-containing and dairy products), and reduce the amount of salt in food.
The main difference between the DASH diet and other diets is that it was developed for people who need to monitor their diet for life. Therefore, you do not have to endure hunger: you can afford a varied, tasty and satisfying menu, which can be modified. The main thing is to observe general principles.
The emphasis in such a diet is not on the quantity of food, but on its quality.
Here are the main rules to follow:
- Drink up to 2 liters of fluid per day.
- Eat 5 times a day. The weight of one serving is not more than 215 g.
- The calorie content of the daily diet is in the range of 2–2.5 thousand kcal.
- Sweets - not more than 5 times a week.
- Emphasis on eating cereals, seeds, beans, lean meats and vegetables.
- You can drink everything except soda and alcohol.
- In addition to the main meals, no more than 8 snacks are allowed.
- between the five main meals 8 snacks are allowed, but only if you begin to experience an intolerable feeling of hunger.
- Taboo on alcohol and tobacco.
- Mandatory reduction in salt intake to 2/3 tsp. in a day.
- Mandatory inclusion of whole grain bread in the menu.
- Exclude smoked meats, pickles, fatty foods, pastries, canned fish and meat from the diet.
What can I eat
According to the DASH diet, in order to form the right diet, you should consider what your goal is to lose weight or improve your health. If you want to focus on weight loss, you need to make a menu so that the number of calories is less than the permissible. That is, we simply reduce the number of servings of each dish.
The following foods are included in the daily diet according to the DASH diet:
- Cereals - at least 7 servings per day (1 serving = a slice of bread, 1/2 cup ready-made pasta, 1/2 cup porridge).
- Fruits - no more than 5 servings per day (1 serving = 1 fruit, 1/4 cup dried fruit, 1/2 cup juice).
- Vegetables - 5 servings per day (1 serving = 1/2 cup boiled vegetables).
- Low-fat dairy products - 2-3 servings per day (1 serving = 50 g of cheese or 0.15 l of milk).
- Seeds, beans, nuts - 5 servings per week (serving = 40 g).
- Animal and vegetable fats - 3 servings per day (1 serving = teaspoon of olive or flaxseed oil).
- Sweet dishes - not more than 5 times a week (1 tsp. Jam or honey).
- Liquid - 2 liters per day (water, green tea, juice).
- Protein - 0.2 kg of lean meat or fish, eggs.
What is not allowed
Of course, you need to avoid all harmful products - that is, those whose purchase and consumption we are encouraged by advertising:
You can remove harmful products from your regular menu gradually, ultimately eliminating all prohibited foods.
How to make a diet
You can make your own menu based on diet rules and a list of acceptable products.
To make up a diet, you don’t have to do anything supernatural: it’s enough just to gradually introduce the necessary products and remove the forbidden ones. If your goal is losing weight, then reduce the number of recommended servings by 1-2 points.
It is also convenient that the diet is very thought out and on the Internet you can find many delicious dishes or a whole menu that corresponds to the DASH diet.
DASH diet is a simple, safe and healthy diet that will help you feel good and lose weight.
Such a diet is not limited in time and ensures the intake of the right amount of trace elements and vitamins. Weight loss goes smoothly, without a feeling of hunger and sudden jumps in weight, which means that the body will not experience stress.