What is DASH-diet and why, according to doctors, it is considered the best for health
In the ranking of the best diets for several years in a row, the first place is occupied by the so-called DASH-diet, which is considered the most effective diet to improve all health indicators.
According to the estimates of doctors from the National Institutes of Health, the DASH diet scores 3.3 points out of 5 in the “Weight Loss Efficiency” category and 4.8 points out of 5 in the “Health Benefits” category.
We figured out what this diet is and why it is considered one of the best.
What is DASH-diet
DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension - a nutritional approach to the treatment of hypertension) is a diet that was developed specifically to lower blood pressure in hypertension.
However, later it turned out that such a diet solves other important problems: it reduces cholesterol levels, helps prevent the development of stroke and heart failure, and normalizes weight. She is also recognized as one of the best diets for the prevention of diabetes.
What is the essence of DASH-diets
The diet is balanced by the content of many important nutritional components (calcium, potassium, proteins, plant fibers), which are responsible for the functioning of the brain and internal organs, as well as for the health of the skin and hair.
It is also convenient that you do not have to track each component separately: it’s enough to give preference to those products that we were advised to eat more often in childhood (fruits, vegetables, grains, protein-containing and dairy products) and reduce the amount of salt in food.
The main difference between DASH diets from other diets is that it was developed for people who are important to follow the diet all their lives. Therefore, you do not have to endure hunger: you can afford a varied, tasty and hearty menu that can be modified. The main thing is to follow general principles.
The emphasis in this diet is not on the amount of food, but on its quality.
Here are the main rules to follow:
- Drink up to 2 liters of fluid per day.
- Eat 5 times a day. The weight of one serving is not more than 215 g.
- Calorie daily ration - in the range of 2-2.5 thousand. Kcal.
- Sweets - no more than 5 times a week.
- Emphasis on the use of cereals, seeds, beans, lean meat and vegetables.
- You can drink everything except sparkling water and alcoholic beverages.
- In addition to the main meals, no more than 8 snacks are allowed.
- Between the five main meals, 8 snacks are allowed, but only if you begin to experience an intolerable feeling of hunger.
- Taboo on alcohol and tobacco.
- Mandatory reduction of salt intake to 2/3 tsp. in a day.
- Mandatory inclusion in the menu of whole grain bread.
- To exclude from the diet smoked meat, pickles, fatty foods, baked pastries, canned fish and meat.
What you can eat
According to the DASH-diet, to form the right diet, you should consider what your goal is to lose weight or recover. If you need to focus on weight loss, then you need to make a menu so that the number of calories is less than permissible. That is, simply reduce the number of servings of each dish.
The daily diet according to the DASH diet includes the following products:
- Cereals - at least 7 servings per day (1 serving = slice of bread, 1/2 cup of ready-made pasta, 1/2 cup of porridge).
- Fruit - no more than 5 servings per day (1 serving = 1 fruit, 1/4 cup of dried fruit, 1/2 cup of juice).
- Vegetables - 5 servings per day (1 serving = 1/2 cup of boiled vegetables).
- Low-fat dairy products - 2–3 servings per day (1 serving = 50 g of cheese or 0.15 l of milk).
- Seeds, beans, nuts - 5 servings per week (portion = 40 g).
- Animal and vegetable fats - 3 servings per day (1 serving = a teaspoon of olive or flaxseed oil).
- Sweet dishes - no more than 5 times a week (1 tsp. Jam or honey).
- Liquid - 2 liters per day (water, green tea, juice).
- Protein - 0.2 kg of lean meat or fish, eggs.
What to eat
Needless to say, all harmful products should be avoided - that is, those that advertising pushes us to purchase and use:
You can gradually remove harmful foods from your regular menu, ultimately eliminating all prohibited foods.
How to make a diet
You can create your menu based on the rules of the diet and the list of acceptable products.
To make yourself a diet, you do not have to do anything supernatural: just enough to gradually introduce the necessary products and remove the prohibited. If your goal is losing weight, then reduce the number of recommended servings by 1-2 points.
It is also convenient that the diet is very well thought out and on the Internet you can find a lot of delicious dishes or a whole menu that corresponds to the DASH-diet.
DASH-diet - a simple, safe and healthy diet that helps you feel good and lose weight.
Such a diet is not limited in time and provides the body with the right amount of trace elements and vitamins. Weight loss is smooth, without hunger and sudden weight gains, which means that the body will not experience stress.