What is DASH-diet and why, according to doctors, it is considered the best for health
In the ranking of the best diets for several consecutive years, the first place is occupied by the so-called DASH-diet, which is considered the most effective diet for improving all health indicators.
According to doctors from the National Institutes of Health, the DASH diet is gaining 3.3 points out of 5 in the "Weight loss effectiveness" category and 4.8 points out of 5 in the "Health Benefits" category.
We figured out what kind of diet and why it is considered one of the best.
What is the DASH diet?
DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is a diet that has been developed specifically to reduce blood pressure in hypertension.
However, it later became clear that such a diet solves other important problems: it lowers cholesterol, helps prevent stroke and heart failure, normalizes weight. It is also recognized as one of the best diets for the prevention of diabetes.
What is the essence of DASH-diet
The diet is balanced by the content of many important nutritional components (calcium, potassium, proteins, plant fibers), which are responsible for the work of the brain and internal organs, as well as for the health of the skin and hair.
It is also convenient that you do not have to track each component separately: it is enough to give preference to those products that we were advised to eat more often in childhood (fruits, vegetables, cereals, protein and milk products), and reduce the amount of salt in food.
The main difference between the DASH diet and other diets is that it was developed for people who need to monitor their diet for the rest of their lives. Therefore, you do not have to suffer hunger: you can afford a varied, tasty and satisfying menu that can be modified. The main thing is to follow the general principles.
The emphasis in such a diet is not on the amount of food, but on its quality.
Here are the main rules that should be followed:
- Drink up to 2 liters of liquid per day.
- Take food 5 times a day. Weight per serving - no more than 215 g.
- Caloric content of the daily ration is within the range of 2-2.5 thousand kcal.
- Sweets - not more than 5 times a week.
- Emphasis on the use of cereals, seeds, beans, low-fat meat and vegetables.
- You can drink everything, except for soda water and alcoholic beverages.
- In addition to basic meals, not more than 8 snacks are allowed.
- 8 snacks are allowed between the five main meals, but only if you begin to experience an intolerable feeling of hunger.
- Taboo on alcohol and tobacco.
- Compulsory reduction of salt intake up to 2/3 tsp. in a day.
- Mandatory inclusion of whole grain bread in the menu.
- Exclude from the diet of smoked meat, pickles, fatty foods, buttery pastries, tinned fish and meat.
What you can eat
According to the DASH diet, to form a proper diet, you should consider what your goal is - weight loss or recovery. If you need to focus on weight loss, then you need to make a menu so that the number of calories was less than the allowable. That is, simply reduce the number of portions of each dish.
The daily diet according to DASH diet includes the following products:
- Cereals - at least 7 servings per day (1 serving = slice of bread, 1/2 cup of ready pasta, 1/2 cup of porridge).
- Fruits - no more than 5 servings per day (1 serving = 1 fruit, 1/4 cup dried fruit, 1/2 glass of juice).
- Vegetables - 5 servings per day (1 serving = 1/2 cup cooked vegetables).
- Low-fat dairy products - 2-3 servings per day (1 serving = 50 grams of cheese or 0.15 liters of milk).
- Seeds, beans, nuts - 5 servings per week (serving = 40 g).
- Animal and vegetable fats - 3 servings per day (1 serving = teaspoon of olive or linseed oil).
- Sweet dishes - not more often 5 times a week (1 tsp of jam or honey).
- Liquid - 2 liters per day (water, green tea, juice).
- Protein - 0.2 kg of lean meat or fish, eggs.
What you can not eat
Of course, you need to avoid all harmful products - that is, those to purchase and use of which pushes us to advertise:
Remove harmful products from your regular menu can be gradually, eventually eliminating all forbidden food.
How to make a diet
You can make your menu based on the rules of the diet and the list of acceptable products.
To make a diet, you do not have to do anything supernatural: it's enough just to gradually introduce the necessary products and clean up the forbidden. If your goal is to lose weight, then reduce the number of recommended servings by 1-2 points.
It is also convenient that the diet is very thought out and on the Internet you can find a lot of delicious dishes or a whole menu that corresponds to the DASH-diet.
DASH-diet is a simple, safe and healthy diet that will help you feel good and lose weight.
Such a diet is not limited in time and ensures the intake of the right amount of trace elements and vitamins into the body. Losing weight passes smoothly, without feeling hungry and sudden jumps in weight, which means that the body will not experience stress.