What can not be placed in the microwave?
Microwave oven (also microwave oven, microwave oven, microwave oven) is an electrical appliance that uses the phenomenon of heating up water-containing substances with electromagnetic radiation of the decimeter range (usually at a frequency of 2,450 GHz) and designed for fast cooking, heating or defrosting food.
Curiosity and passion for all sorts of experiments can be very expensive for you - in every sense of the word "expensive" - both for your health and for the technique that you use daily.
The microwave oven has long become an integral part of everyday life of every mistress. Despite all its versatility, there are certain products and items that should not be heated in the microwave oven to extend the life of its use and maintain its health.
Foil (this applies to any metal objects or metal elements in principle)
Who does not like when something beautifully sparkles? This is a fascinating sight.
But not in the case when this spectacle takes place behind the window of your microwave oven.
It would seem - how is it? After all, the inner surface of your furnace is also made of metal.
The metal of the inner surface acts as a mirror - reflects the microwaves.
The foil also reflects, but at the same time it heats up and starts to sparkle cheerfully and fervently, which can be dangerous not only for the furnace itself, but also for yourself.
Paper bags \ glasses, packages, newspapers
Who did not cook popcorn in the microwave - in vain he bought a microwave. Semi-finished products in paper bags can be found in almost any supermarket.
So why they can be placed in a microwave oven, and other paper bags - not?
It's simple - it's a special paper coating that absorbs waves and does not heat up the package itself.
If the package does not have such a cover, then in the microwave you can expect a fascinating fire-show with poisonous fumes, smoothly changing into a 3D fire-show-that is, your entire home may well become one big fire-show.
"Where do you get poisonous fumes?" You ask. We will answer - do you know what paper the package was made from? Or what does the paint consist of, the image or text on it? That's the same ...
"A note from the author: cardboard is also a paper!"
Do not put paper and cellophane bags and newspapers in a microwave oven, as they can catch fire and release toxic substances.
With intense heating, all the hotly loved "trays" and "containers" emit harmful substances.
These substances have a bad effect on the endocrine system, and it is still indispensable to you - whole and healthy.
So do not warm up food in plastic containers or bags.
Polyfoam (polystyrene) containers
One word is melting. And it manifests itself in two forms: the first - the container begins to "melt down", releasing toxins directly into your food.
Do you want something with foam sauce? It is unlikely. Second - the container can melt from the temperature of your food and "thaw" through and through.
In short, nothing good from heating up in such a vessel with your food will not happen, rather - on the contrary. It will happen, but certainly not good.
Nevertheless, as in the case of road glasses, there are containers that can be used in the microwave oven - look for notes.
Traveling cups \ glasses
They are made of metal and plastic. That is, by warming up anything in such a cup, you simultaneously endanger the very cup / glass, your microwave oven, and yourself.
Well, the coffee itself (we do not see from here what exactly you were going to warm up there: suppose it's coffee, after all) you'll spoil it.
Just in case, re-read points 1 and 3, in order to understand the full extent of the risk.
There are, of course, special cases: look for the label "microwave safe" on the glass itself / cup or on the packaging \ in the documentation from it.
If such a mark is - safely put your glass / cup in the microwave.
Here, probably, the author acts like "Captain Obviousness" for most readers, but one can not not warn about it simply because the unique people who are going to "dry up" their favorite T-shirt, oddly enough, are.
Logic, of course, this is: the microwave warms everything. Heats - it means dries. T-shirt is wet. If it is heated, it will be dry. Guided by the same logic, you can dry things in a fire. Not "over the fire", namely "in the fire". Synthetics - fascinatingly melts (mourning march microwave + danger of ignition), cotton - willingly and cheerfully burns (the same, plus the prospect of 3D fire-show).
It's as old as the world, but it's urgent. Explosions are also a fascinating sight, but not in your microwave. Plus clean off the consequences of such an opportunity - not an enjoyable occupation, we assure you.
"The author knows this not by hearsay, but on his bitter experience of the first interaction with the outlandish" for those times "microwave oven."
And friends and acquaintances should not be joking like that either. After that they will cease to be your friends and acquaintances.
"Author's note: eggs are meant not only chicken, but also ostrich, quail, crocodile, tortoise - in general, all-all-all ..."
"Once the author of this article mistakenly froze the jalapenos. With a dozen peppers. They all froze into one indestructible conglomerate. But they urgently needed to be used for a single dish of Mexican cuisine. What to do? Correctly - defrost in a quick microwave oven. "
When you place the hot pepper in a microwave oven, it begins to release all its "sharpness" directly into the air. Guess what happens when you open the door?
Do not wait until you want to check and answer. It's like a pepper spray. From which you sprinkle right in the face.
"Pepper was hopelessly spoiled, the mood - too, and with it the author's eyes for the next couple of hours."
In general, do not cook, warm up, or defrost hot pepper in the microwave. Never.
Frozen pieces of meat are difficult to unfreeze in the microwave oven: thin edges start to bake, and the middle remains ice.
This uneven distribution of heat contributes to the growth of harmful bacteria inside the meat. And defrosting fruit and berries in a microwave can lead to the conversion of a useful glucoside into a carcinogenic substance.
Vegetables during defrosting also lose nutrients and vitamins.
For example, if broccoli is heated in a microwave oven, this healthy vegetable loses 97% of its useful elements.
And garlic remains without its super useful qualities after heating in a microwave oven. And there were no anti-cancer properties!
Capsaicin - the active ingredient in hot pepper - evaporates under the influence of high temperature from microwaves, and the resulting vapor is very harmful.
Therefore, to get a useful dish, nutritionists recommend defrosting foods on the shelves of the refrigerator, before laying them out from the freezer.
First of all, this refers to expressed breast milk - under the influence of microwaves it becomes toxic.
If you need a little to warm the milk and not kill the immunoglobulins that are in it, it is better to use the traditional method - to heat under a stream of hot water or in a water bath.
Studies have shown that heating the baby food in the microwave oven because of uneven heating can harm the baby.
In addition, high temperature heating destroys nutrients, which greatly reduces the usefulness of products.
Fresh greens, Fruits
Drying fresh greens in a microwave is a bad idea.
These herbs contain very little liquid, and if they are slightly overexposed, a fire can occur.
Some fruits, such as grapes, in the microwave can explode. Raisins can start to smoke.
There is an opinion that if you put a sponge in a microwave and warm it for 30 seconds, all the microbes that have settled on it will be destroyed.
But it's better not to experiment.
Unpleasant smell and the possibility of ignition - weighty arguments to abandon this idea.
Nothing but food and drinks!
The microwave oven is designed to warm up your food or drink. And that is all. No need for experiments.
As practice shows, nothing good such things do not end there. We assure you, if you listen to these tips, then your technique, and health will be much more intact.
Let your equipment serve you long and safely!