What to do if the thermometer crashed
Thermometer (Greek heat; measure) - a device for measuring the temperature of air, soil, water, and so on. There are several types of thermometers: liquid; mechanical; electronic; optical; gas; infrared .
A broken mercury thermometer is a problem that causes panic in anyone from small to adult. Many do not know how to properly collect mercury and thermometer fragments, so as not to harm themselves and their loved ones. We in Shram.kiev.ua collected information, divided into stages. If you follow these rules, a broken thermometer will never be a problem and no one will be poisoned by mercury vapor.
1. Bring everyone out of the room where the thermometer broke, do not forget about pets.
2. Use air conditioning to reduce the temperature in the room to 16-18 degrees.
3. Close the door to the room tightly and open all the windows.
4. Make sure that mercury is not on clothes or shoes.
5. Wear rubber gloves and a medical mask.
6. Prepare a glass jar with a lid (it is in it that you will collect mercury). Do not forget to fill the jar with water.
7. Collect mercury balls with a syringe or syringe and place them in a jar of water.
If small pieces of glass remain on the floor, collect them with a foam sponge or a wet newspaper.
At the end of the entire mercury collection procedure, the floor must be washed twice with a bleach solution that contains chlorine. For 1 liter of water, use 1 tablespoon of bleach.
The floor should be washed in this way 2 times a week for a month.
In no case should you throw away a jar with collected mercury; it should be taken to specialized institutions, if any, in your city.